EF14mm F2L probability?

mikekx102

1DX Mark II =)
Aug 2, 2015
Western Australia
Hi guys, I've been waiting for an EF14mm F2L since it was rumored back in April 2018. Since then the R mount has been released. Do you think this means that any release of an awesome Astro lens would only be in an "R" mount? I have a 1DX II but just want a superb extra-wide angle Astro-photography lens.

Do you have any thoughts?

Mike.

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Hi guys, I've been waiting for an EF14mm F2L since it was rumored back in April 2018. Since then the R mount has been released. Do you think this means that any release of an awesome Astro lens would only be in an "R" mount? I have a 1DX II but just want a superb extra-wide angle Astro-photography lens.

Mike.
All joking aside, anything truly new, as opposed to a minor refresh, for the EF mount is highly doubtful. Canon seems to be all-in on the RF mount.

The only problem I see with buying an EF mount lens now--Sigma or Canon--is that the R does not support "High Speed Display" for anything other than Rf lenses, meaning that there is more electronic viewfinder stutter with EF lenses. Doesn't seem like that would be a problem for astro! But it does show that EF lenses don't get quite the same respect on the RF mount.

This might not be an issue if the next R body's EVF somehow overcomes the stutter/lag effect altogether. We'll see!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Mike.
That was not a rumor, it was a mention of lenses that people had written to CR about, none of them were actually known to CR Guy, so it did not even rate as a rumor.

I don't expect to ever see one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0