Ended: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $1704 (Reg $3699)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Need some more pixels for your summer (USA) shoots? Well you can grab a brand new Canon EOS 5DS R body for only $1704 (Reg $3699), which is crazy savings.
Key specifications:

50.6MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
Low-Pass Filter Effect Cancellation
3.2″ 1.04m-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor
Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
61-Point High-Density Reticular AF
ISO 100-6400; 5 fps Continuous Shooting
150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag
Anti-Flicker Compensation

Canon EOS 5DS R Body $1704 (Reg $3699)
Note: This item is likely grey market, but should still qualify for a Canon USA warranty.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Tempting, but I already have a 5DS and sold my 5D mk iii for the new EOS R. I have almost enough saved fhe next R to come out with 2 cards. But this 5DS is virtually the same as a 5D mk iii which are selling for near $1400 with low shutter count used. About the only disadvantage of the 5DS may be needing a slightly faster shutter speed than when using the 5D mk iii.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
looks like cameras with moving mirrors in the lightpath are not so much in demand any longer these days.

And even at this "ultra low" price Canon will still be making a profit. It reveals how grossly inflated MSRPs really are.
When current stock clears and new high megapixel R body is out, then the 5Ds bodiies May be discontinued. About 3 years of Canon support after that. But the offered price is a bargain.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Has anyone looked at all of the negative comments about "6th Street Electronics"? I did and as a result I would never buy anything from them.

I have never heard of a bad experience from a CR reader about buying from 6ave. They have a 99.6% approval rating.

Upvote 0
Has anyone looked at all of the negative comments about "6th Street Electronics"? I did and as a result I would never buy anything from them.

I bought one from them on a previous offering. It came within 10 days and worked perfectly. I had no problems with the order or the service. YMMV...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
FYI, Canon may be changing their policy for warranty repair of grey market cameras. I recently had a shutter and a sensor replaced in my 1Dx. While the body was being repaired, I received a notice from Canon that the serial number indicates that it was not intended for sale in the US and the warranty would not be honored. Note that the warranty had already expired a few years ago.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
When current stock clears and new high megapixel R body is out, then the 5Ds bodiies May be discontinued. About 3 years of Canon support after that. But the offered price is a bargain.

Canon usually supports lens and cameras a lot longer than three years after a model has been discontinued. For a lens it's typically seven years. For camera bodies...well...Canon is still servicing the 5D Mark II.

This is a steal of a deal for an excellent camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
For 35mm sensor size - it's pretty darn close to ultimate.
I had 5Dsr for 6 months. It is a better sensor than 6D II (pixel-wise) but definitely worse than 5D IV. Despite lower pixel count I prefer the sensor in 5D IV and EOS R. The 30MP sensor is more flexible, has way less noise in shadows and high-ISO performance is much better.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I had 5Dsr for 6 months. It is a better sensor than 6D II (pixel-wise) but definitely worse than 5D IV. Despite lower pixel count I prefer the sensor in 5D IV and EOS R. The 30MP sensor is more flexible, has way less noise in shadows and high-ISO performance is much better.

Another victim of pixel peeping. The dangers of this should be taught in Photography 101 alongside aperture and shutter speed.

Upvote 0