Ended: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $2099 (Reg $3699)

Jan 22, 2012
Re: Deal: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $2099 (Reg $3699)

Mt Spokane Photography said:
sanj said:
But.. But.. Why would they be sold for a loss when they are current models? With all due respect, something does not sit well here with me.

They are not sold for a loss. The actual cost to make a camera is a fraction of the selling price. Its likely 25% or less. Canon can discount prices to poor countries and still profit, just not as much. There is value in keeping production rates up and having high end cameras even in poor countries where they really want to sell much lower priced cameras in huge quantities but have the nice ones available.

Canon makes the bulk of their profit by selling cameras to rich countries, but wants to sell them everywhere. Grey market sellers take advantage of that when they see a opportunity.

So what I said earlier is perhaps the fact:

Cant imagine anyone selling this for a loss as version 2 is nowhere in the horizon.
So a retailer has 3699-2099=$1600 mark up?? And Canon would perhaps have at least half of that 1600+800=2400.
3699-2400= $1299. Would that be the manufacturing cost of the camera? My math, assumptions wrong where?

But again, which poor country does it sell for 2099$. None.. Cameras are relatively cheap in USA (rich country) compared to the world (except HK, Singapore etc).

I think I agree with your 25% theory....

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Maiaibing said:
snoke said:
Canon Rumors said:
Retail staff pricing is generally not "dealer cost".

Good friend make dealer price sale.

Amazing price... I take note that both the 5DIV and the 5DS fell rapidly after their intro. And now you can get the 5DS/R for a steal.

Got my own 5DS/R very early for a "good" price. But nothing like this. Seems waiting just a few months after launch is the way to go when you want a new DSLR...

This is definitely the case - there is an eager beaver launch premium ;D

I might buy the next Canon high end DSLR like that (a7D or 5D if it has all the stuff want); a FF MILC, I would probably wait a few months for the first sales.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Talys said:
Maiaibing said:
snoke said:
Canon Rumors said:
Retail staff pricing is generally not "dealer cost".

Good friend make dealer price sale.

Amazing price... I take note that both the 5DIV and the 5DS fell rapidly after their intro. And now you can get the 5DS/R for a steal.

Got my own 5DS/R very early for a "good" price. But nothing like this. Seems waiting just a few months after launch is the way to go when you want a new DSLR...

This is definitely the case - there is an eager beaver launch premium ;D

I might buy the next Canon high end DSLR like that (a7D or 5D if it has all the stuff want); a FF MILC, I would probably wait a few months for the first sales.

I will never buy new Canon gear without contacting Gordon at Canon Price Watch, last year I got a crazy good deal on 2 1DX MkII’s that came with transferable 3 year extended warranties, a Canon 12 month warranty, along with free CFast cards and readers for less money than they are selling secondhand currently!

I bought all my recent lenses, 100 L macro, 16-35 f4 IS, 11-24 f4, and a 600EX RT II via Gordon too.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

sanj said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
sanj said:
But.. But.. Why would they be sold for a loss when they are current models? With all due respect, something does not sit well here with me.

They are not sold for a loss. The actual cost to make a camera is a fraction of the selling price. Its likely 25% or less. Canon can discount prices to poor countries and still profit, just not as much. There is value in keeping production rates up and having high end cameras even in poor countries where they really want to sell much lower priced cameras in huge quantities but have the nice ones available.

Canon makes the bulk of their profit by selling cameras to rich countries, but wants to sell them everywhere. Grey market sellers take advantage of that when they see a opportunity.

So what I said earlier is perhaps the fact:

Cant imagine anyone selling this for a loss as version 2 is nowhere in the horizon.
So a retailer has 3699-2099=$1600 mark up?? And Canon would perhaps have at least half of that 1600+800=2400.
3699-2400= $1299. Would that be the manufacturing cost of the camera? My math, assumptions wrong where?

But again, which poor country does it sell for 2099$. None.. Cameras are relatively cheap in USA (rich country) compared to the world (except HK, Singapore etc).

I think I agree with your 25% theory....

The Camera can be found for $2300 something commonly, https://www.cpricewatch.com/product/05702/Canon-EOS-5Ds-R-price.html

https://www.cpricewatch.com/product/05702/Canon-EOS-5Ds-R-price.html

The fact that they are readily available on the grey market for this price means that they are indeed available for a low price overseas, the sales price has to include shipping, cost to sell such as credit card fees, returns of defective units, its expensive to sell a camera. So they are paying a lot less than you think.

Of course, you can't buy ONE for that price, but if you buy 2,000 or 3,000 of them, the story changes. The big gray market dealers buy millions of dollars worth of cameras and lenses of all makes, so a dealer only has to make a tiny profit on each unit because he will never see any returns or have other expenses. If he sells 2000 units a month at $1 profit each, its all free and clear and does not impact his local sales. There are all sorts of back channels, it might even involve a large distributor making out fake sales receipts or padding sales figures to local dealers. That sort of thing is common in some countries. The Canon/Nikon/Sigma/whoever distributors don't look too hard for it, because they want the sales for their region.

When a Canon camera is sold to a gray market, the local Canon division makes extra profit because their repair and service depot does not have to deal with repairs, its free money. Canon USA, on the other hand, does service them and it comes out of profits. From what I hear, many of the cameras come out of China. they may pass thru several hands before finding their way to the US, sometimes they have fake serial numbers added to them to disguise where they came from, there was a rash of that happening a few years back.

Upvote 0