Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>Brief Info

<span style="font-weight: normal;">According to an unnamed inventory system, the EOS 60D will be available on September 22, 2010.</span></strong></p>
<p>Still waiting on pricing.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r </strong></p>
<p class="facebook"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/eos-60d-availability/" target="_blank" title="Share on Facebook">Share on Facebook</a></p>

H

hoktar

Seriously, you don't really think they don't calculate that? They always do, the same like Apple does. It's all marketing. They know exactly what they are doing. Just think about Apple and their "shortages" with delivery and Steve Jobs announcing each and every time they sell something new, how fast it is not availlable anymore because their product is so damn awesome.....

Upvote 0
D

Daviii

Jan said:
I remember it took quite long that the 5DMkII was really available. But maybe Canon calculated the demand of the market better for the 60D (not that easy for the first plastic-xxD with articulating screen ;)).

50D was announced on August the 26th of 2008 (Please note the date :p) and was delivered to the stores on October the 6th in the USA. Early November was fully available in the average european store.

I don't think there's gonna be much supply problem with this camera. 5DMkII was a different case, because production is WAY lower. If you look for the highest end, problems are much worse. Just try to buy a nikon D3s ::)

This kind of camera sell like hotcakes, so production has higher volumes, and therefore has normally no major shortages. Specially if they use 550D/7D technology on this one which is likely.

Upvote 0
Daviii said:
Jan said:
I remember it took quite long that the 5DMkII was really available. But maybe Canon calculated the demand of the market better for the 60D (not that easy for the first plastic-xxD with articulating screen ;)).

50D was announced on August the 26th of 2008 (Please note the date :p) and was delivered to the stores on October the 6th in the USA. Early November was fully available in the average european store.

I don't think there's gonna be much supply problem with this camera. 5DMkII was a different case, because production is WAY lower. If you look for the highest end, problems are much worse. Just try to buy a nikon D3s ::)

This kind of camera sell like hotcakes, so production has higher volumes, and therefore has normally no major shortages. Specially if they use 550D/7D technology on this one which is likely.
You're probably right. :)
I don't care that much about when the cam is available but I'm really interested in the official announcement! :)

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Yeah Spec's will make or break it, but i'm not that hopeful.
I reckon from rumours so far:
  • 60D for about £1000 RRP - :-(
  • APS-c with same 100-12800 ISO and 18 MPx.
  • 9 cross type AF
  • 4 fps as 7D has 8FPS :-(
  • Plastic body - not personally too bothered but not cool to say it's plastic.
  • HD video as 7D with DIGIC 4
  • 3" flip screen
So whats potentially good over the 550D - more AF points and a flip screen - saves me lying down for a shot and using manual focus quite so often.

I hope its not true but I expect such a spec is designed to push us frustratedly into buying a 7D mk1.

Upvote 0
C

CameraAddict

Stuart said:
Yeah Spec's will make or break it, but i'm not that hopeful.
I reckon from rumours so far:
  • 60D for about £1000 RRP - :-(
  • APS-c with same 100-12800 ISO and 18 MPx.
  • 9 cross type AF
  • 4 fps as 7D has 8FPS :-(
  • Plastic body - not personally too bothered but not cool to say it's plastic.
  • HD video as 7D with DIGIC 4
  • 3" flip screen
So whats potentially good over the 550D - more AF points and a flip screen - saves me lying down for a shot and using manual focus quite so often.

I hope its not true but I expect such a spec is designed to push us frustratedly into buying a 7D mk1.

It will have at least 6 fps, given that the 50D does.

Upvote 0
X

xyzzy

I think it is pretty dumb of Canon to release a new camera when the nothern hemisphere (where the most sales are going to be made) is entering Autumn/Winter.

I won't be even considering one now until next spring...hopefully by which time the prices have decreased to an acceptable level. If they had released it early spring, I would have taken the hit and probably bought it full/introductory price.

Just my thought.

Upvote 0

J

Jul 21, 2010
xyzzy said:
I think it is pretty dumb of Canon to release a new camera when the nothern hemisphere (where the most sales are going to be made) is entering Autumn/Winter.

So all of a sudden Christmas doesn't count?

Introducing early gives Canon wiggle room if there's a manufacturing problem, something that would happen behind the scenes. This also makes things easier on retailers, who are busy enough during the holiday season to worry about having to launch a new product too.

Upvote 0
X

xyzzy

J said:
xyzzy said:

So all of a sudden Christmas doesn't count?

Introducing early gives Canon wiggle room if there's a manufacturing problem, something that would happen behind the scenes. This also makes things easier on retailers, who are busy enough during the holiday season to worry about having to launch a new product too.

When was the last time someone bought you an £800 camera for Xmas? Or for that matter waited for Xmas to buy yourself an £800 camera?

Your 2nd statement makes no sense, spring is after the festive season.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
xyzzy, J's point is valid: christmas is a huge time for sales and is exactly what a late summer announcement + fall release is aimed at.

whether or not you personally would consider buying a $1100 camera as a christmas present is largely irrelevant to whether or not there are lots of other people out there who would consider buying a $1100 camera as a christmas present (and believe me, they're out there). also, post-christmas sales are big from people who get gift cards or cash and use that to finally get the camera they've been waiting for all along

ever see car commercials during the holidays? where the wife wakes up to a mercedes on the driveway with a big red ribbon? makes buying a christmas camera seem a lot less ludicrous

Upvote 0

J

Jul 21, 2010
My point about making things easy on retailers was that every time a big new product comes out, certain things happen at the store level. Salespeople need to be trained, initial orders need to be tracked, promotional materials need to be distributed, ads need to be arranged and a lot other small hand-holdy details need to be addressed. You can lose a lot of sales from pissing off a "normal" customer--like if you missed an advertised launch date. Can't sell what you don't have. It's best to launch at a slow time when retailers have the manpower to spare, like right before the holiday season.

And personally, I purchase cameras during sales and rebate periods.

Oh! Both happen to be present during Christmas! Who'd have guessed?

Upvote 0
C

CameraAddict

When was the last time someone bought you an £800 camera for Xmas? Or for that matter waited for Xmas to buy yourself an £800 camera?

Your 2nd statement makes no sense, spring is after the festive season.

My spouse and I often buy one another $1000+ gifts and I'm certain without a doubt that many people do the same. I suspect that's why stores stock up on large dollar items at Christmas..... (Of course, there are years when we decide not to exchange gifts with each other. It all works out).

I also know many people who use either their birthday or Christmas as an excuse to treat themselves to something good.

I'm not sure why you consider that potential behavior so far-fetched.

Upvote 0

J

Jul 21, 2010
Last times there were sounds of Digic 5 was 7D then 1D4. Canon is getting a lot of mileage out of 4; it must have been quite a solid design.

I'm thinking 60D is more 4; I don't expect the camera to do anything beyond what Canon has already released. 1Ds4 as the first 5 is my guess--a new processor to match a new cutting-edge sensor. Perhaps updated to be programmable even? :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.