Eos 7d mii and heat

Like a few other people on the forum I am experiencing some problems with "soft" images from my 7dii. I have now come to realise that it mostly happens when the ambient temp is 30 celcius and more. Any photos taken at distances of 20m and more can become really soft.
Now the question is, is it the body being affected by the heat or do the sensor struggle more with mirage than my other camera sensors. I shoot in South Africa and surrounding countries.
Anyone have any idea?

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Like a few other people on the forum I am experiencing some problems with "soft" images from my 7dii. I have now come to realise that it mostly happens when the ambient temp is 30 celcius and more. Any photos taken at distances of 20m and more can become really soft.
Now the question is, is it the body being affected by the heat or do the sensor struggle more with mirage than my other camera sensors. I shoot in South Africa and surrounding countries.
Anyone have any idea?
Sure I have, let's switch:)
IMG_2544.PNG

Does it happen with all lenses or just the very long telephoto lenses?

Cheers:)
Nelu

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have now come to realise that it mostly happens when the ambient temp is 30 celcius and more. Any photos taken at distances of 20m and more can become really soft.
Could you share and image or at least some settings as an example of the conditions that produce these results? Sounds to me like it could simply be down to atmospheric distortion, since you specifically mention distance. Either it messes up the AF with your lens, or it directly affects the image du to a too long exposure time?

Upvote 0
Anyone have any idea?
Are you sure it is not simply the effect of the light moving n the heat, magnified over longer distances? This can give the impression of soft edges to everything - not actually out of focus, but accurately capturing the fact that the light is refracting as it moves through bands of air at different temperatures (usually hot air coming off the earth meeting (slightly) cooler air 3-5ft higher up).

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I agree with StoicaTeacher - if you are using telephoto lenses then it may well be heat haze

arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/focus-micro-adjustment-is-it-always-needed/

Also, some people claim that the lens needs microadjusting at higher temperatures(not that I have recognised an issue). It is, after all, why Canon telephoto anon lenses are white.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It’s snowing here.... not much of a problem for heat haze, but it sounds like that is what you have.....

Does it get worse the closer your image is to the ground? There is often less heat haze the higher up you get. I have images where the haze is extremely pronounced just above the ground, yet a couple hundred feet up it is barely noticeable

Upvote 0
Thank you everybody for your replies. I apologise for not responding sooner. Time differences and just opened the factory for the new year.
Yes, mirage or moving heat is definately involved. And yes, only with the longer lenses. I use a 100-400ii, 400iii and 600ii. And definately worse nearer the ground.
I should heve been more specific. On my other bodies (R, 5dv, 80d) I have the same problem, but to a much lessor degree. Even the 80d is better in those conditions. And it is worse with the 100-400ii.
Hence my question, could the body be affected more, or is the sensor influenced more by heat/mirage? The low pass filter? The 7dii is my favorite action cam, and it would be great if there is a fix for this, wich I doubt.
PS. I only really started noticing this when I started using the 80d as well, and later the full frame bodies.

Upvote 0