EOS M Accessory question

Just got the EOS M + 22mm. Like it and will keep it for the long term, so now need to think about accessories.

1. The Canon EF-EF-M adapter: I think of the M as a compact camera to carry everywhere, so I don't know how useful it will be to have the EF adapter and give up the whole compactness thing. Not that I will try to use the reach advantage and shoot birds, LOL ;D.
So your opinion will be really useful to inform me of advantages I am overlooking. How many of you use the adapter regularly with EF lenses? Which EF lenses do you mostly use? Is that still true if you have a second body?
Retro lovers: is it better to get a FD 50mm and an adapter instead? If so, which 50mm- there seems to be a bunch of them out there (I mean 1.8s and 1.4s, the 1.2s are too expensive and my manual focus capabilities with the M are untested and with regular dSLRs are ok, not stellar!
I like the 80-85mm-ish focal length a lot for portraits and don't have that FL for full frame unless I am lugging my 70-200 II.

2. Wrist strap: I thought of getting a grip for the M, but I am not sold on the metallic grip- once again because it will increase bulk. Here again, those who bought the thumbs up and grip for the M, how useful do you find it?
Is there any wrist strap that works particularly well with the M? I am aware I will have to switch out the neck strap to use the lug connector.

3. Batteries: Wasabi, is it? Any other options? How long is it safe to run the M continuously? If an hour or so (in the mandatory 29.99 minute chunks) is ok, I will use this as my primary video cam.

4. Bag: Neuro earlier had mentioned the Dashpoint 20. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, all, in advance.

There is a thread ...
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15732.0
with lots of great options for bags / straps.

I have the adapter and the most common lens on there is the EF-S 55-250 STM. Quite a decent light travel zoom. Bought it before the EF-M 55-200 came out, and it is still cheaper.
I have tried a few others as well (EF 50 1.4, EF 135L 2.0, EF-S 15-85) but found that auto-focus works better with the native EF-M lenses, although the ones I have listed work OK in decent light.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
I gave into the $249 special. :) and then..... Have the EF to M adapter, 2 extra Optika batteries (says the are larger capacities - we will see) and likewise need a bag. I purchased this camera for 2 reasons - 1. Wife and I are going on a trip and she wants something small while I chug around the big stuff. 2. I travel non-stop for my job and I want something I can throw in the travel kit and barely notice so when I have a few extra moments...

I have plenty of glass for the FF and find the M a very capable imaging device. In keeping w/ the small, etc, etc I was trying to stay away from getting G.A.S. on the M but I suspect the native M 55-250 is in my future. At the sheer dread of my daughters and wife, I am thinking of getting a fanny/belt pack type solution as it would seem to be the most functional solution through the fashion concerned may have to look away :). When I am out w/ any of my other bags & gear, the M body I am sure will fit in somewhere.

Lastly - I can't remember who suggested it but it was brilliant - the M loads magic lantern (which can help your manual focusing with the focus peaking option turned on - also the M does have a magnifier as a std function to help as well) but I plan to use this $130 sensor package (the 22mm lens is roughly $120) as my burn and churn for timelapse/ultra low frame rate movie maker. I even purchased the "AC" adapter kit for this purpose (just a little engineering hack to run off a set of AAs to extend the battery time.)

The glass for the FF runs from 16 to 600 in various lenses - nearly 1:40 Oh wait - could have bought the a super zoom and saved money and weight... Duh! :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
1. One reason I got the M was as a travel backup body, need the adapter for that. I use it occasionally for a tele option on the M (a bit ungainly with the 70-300L), I'll likely pick up the M55-200 soon.

2. I use the Canon ER-E1 strap, has the lug. Ordered from HK (as the M55-200 will be, there or Canada).

3. I just got an extra Canon LP-E12.

4. Lowepro Dashpoint 20 for the M+22, Dashpoint 30 for the M+18-55, the latter fits with the EW-54 hood mounted in the forward (in-use) orientation.

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
1) I use the adapter regularly with my 40mm. I use my 40mm more on the EOS M than I do on my DSLR.

2) I use a peak design Cuff. It's not a perfect solution but Canon's decision to use the lugs really limits the options here.

3) I use a mix of OEM and opteka batteries. The optekas are functionally the same as the OEM. Charges in the charger, reports battery life to the camera, etc. I hear similar reports about the Wasabi also. I don't shoot video so I can't comment on that but I get about the same number of shots from the opteka as I do the OEM.

4) Bag - I'm often carrying other things, not just camera kit, so others will have better suggestions here!

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
sagittariansrock said:
Just got the EOS M + 22mm. Like it and will keep it for the long term, so now need to think about accessories.

1. The Canon EF-EF-M adapter: I think of the M as a compact camera to carry everywhere, so I don't know how useful it will be to have the EF adapter and give up the whole compactness thing. Not that I will try to use the reach advantage and shoot birds, LOL ;D.
So your opinion will be really useful to inform me of advantages I am overlooking. How many of you use the adapter regularly with EF lenses? Which EF lenses do you mostly use? Is that still true if you have a second body?
Retro lovers: is it better to get a FD 50mm and an adapter instead? If so, which 50mm- there seems to be a bunch of them out there (I mean 1.8s and 1.4s, the 1.2s are too expensive and my manual focus capabilities with the M are untested and with regular dSLRs are ok, not stellar!
I like the 80-85mm-ish focal length a lot for portraits and don't have that FL for full frame unless I am lugging my 70-200 II.

2. Wrist strap: I thought of getting a grip for the M, but I am not sold on the metallic grip- once again because it will increase bulk. Here again, those who bought the thumbs up and grip for the M, how useful do you find it?
Is there any wrist strap that works particularly well with the M? I am aware I will have to switch out the neck strap to use the lug connector.

3. Batteries: Wasabi, is it? Any other options? How long is it safe to run the M continuously? If an hour or so (in the mandatory 29.99 minute chunks) is ok, I will use this as my primary video cam.

Thanks, all, in advance.

Dear Friend Mr. sagittariansrock.

Here is my Best New toy And Cheap for EOS-M.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21647.0

Enjoy
Surapon

Upvote 0
noncho said:
Canon FD 50 1.4 is good and should be compact enough for M. I was thinking for something like that too :)

For the batteries - I have 2 noname, but working as the original one(maybe a bit less capacity). They were 14$ on Ebay year ago.

Strap - For M with small lenses I'm using one small hand strap from old Powershot.

Thanks, noncho!
Are there few types of FD 50/1.4 too? I was confused by the SCs and SSCs and FDs and FDn-s :eek:

Upvote 0
SeppOz said:
There is a thread ...
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15732.0
with lots of great options for bags / straps.

I have the adapter and the most common lens on there is the EF-S 55-250 STM. Quite a decent light travel zoom. Bought it before the EF-M 55-200 came out, and it is still cheaper.
I have tried a few others as well (EF 50 1.4, EF 135L 2.0, EF-S 15-85) but found that auto-focus works better with the native EF-M lenses, although the ones I have listed work OK in decent light.

Thanks, SeppOz. I had looked at that thread incidentally, and it is very informative as you mentioned :)
That's where I got the Dashpoint 20 idea from.
I didn't even know there was a 55-200, thanks for telling me! Also, good to know that the AF is a bit worse with EF lenses and the EF adapter, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Upvote 0
geoffmalter said:
RE wrist strap: Joby DSLR strap (dpreview.com, Canon EOS-M forum, see "let's see some M accessory love" thread). I just ordered 3 from B&H for my compacts.

Wow! What a nice little strap! And less than $ 10 on Amazon. I think I'm definitely getting it. Looks like paracord, is it?

Upvote 0
Busted Knuckles said:
I gave into the $249 special. :) and then..... Have the EF to M adapter, 2 extra Optika batteries (says the are larger capacities - we will see) and likewise need a bag. I purchased this camera for 2 reasons - 1. Wife and I are going on a trip and she wants something small while I chug around the big stuff. 2. I travel non-stop for my job and I want something I can throw in the travel kit and barely notice so when I have a few extra moments...

I have plenty of glass for the FF and find the M a very capable imaging device. In keeping w/ the small, etc, etc I was trying to stay away from getting G.A.S. on the M but I suspect the native M 55-250 is in my future. At the sheer dread of my daughters and wife, I am thinking of getting a fanny/belt pack type solution as it would seem to be the most functional solution through the fashion concerned may have to look away :). When I am out w/ any of my other bags & gear, the M body I am sure will fit in somewhere.

Lastly - I can't remember who suggested it but it was brilliant - the M loads magic lantern (which can help your manual focusing with the focus peaking option turned on - also the M does have a magnifier as a std function to help as well) but I plan to use this $130 sensor package (the 22mm lens is roughly $120) as my burn and churn for timelapse/ultra low frame rate movie maker. I even purchased the "AC" adapter kit for this purpose (just a little engineering hack to run off a set of AAs to extend the battery time.)

The glass for the FF runs from 16 to 600 in various lenses - nearly 1:40 Oh wait - could have bought the a super zoom and saved money and weight... Duh! :)

I plan to use the M for exactly those reasons- my wife hates the weight of a dSLR (even the 5Dc) and likes to compose using the LCD screen. And the compactness means I can take it along everywhere.

It does seem a fanny pack would be ideal if you have a few M lenses. Maybe the fashion conscious will be looking at your lens ;)

I heard about ML for the M. I will have to find out a bit more about that if I want to use the M for video- but at this point I have taken less than 10 minutes of video with my dSLRs (since 2010). So I have to learn basic dSLR video first :p

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
For me, the whole idea of having an EOS-M is to make a small (hopefully light weight) travel kit. I fit the following into a Lowepro Micro case (as the name implies, it is small, 5'X6"X7", external):EOS-M with strap and 22mm lens(all in an old Rollie P&S pouch that can be attached to the belt), 18-55 zoom with hood, optical view finder for the 22mm, 90ex flash, 2 spare batteries, 2 spare AAA, lens cleaning stuff, one SPARE cap for each lens( the center push cap falls off easily) and a 35 f 2.0 Summicron with M to EOS-M adapter( 2" x 1 3/4" combined). If the need arrives, I can switch the Elmer 90 f4 or the Elmer 50 F2.8 for the Summicron 35 f2 before the bag leaves home. No EF to EOS-M adapter or EF lens due the the relatively large size.

Upvote 0
infared said:
Can anyone help me find the viewfinder accessory???? :p

Good point. That would greatly help reduce battery consumption and reduce glare outdoors (although I saw a huge loupe on ebay for pretty low price that somewhat dwarfs the M).
Interestingly, one of the USPs of the M was the LCD composition, P&S style. My wife hates using the viewfinder (I'm not sure I understand why) and so do random tourists when I ask them to take photos of me.

Here's a little anecdote (somewhat off-topic on my own thread :p):
A friend wanted to borrow my dSLR to shoot an event. I selected the 5Dc and 40mm pancake as it was the lightest combo, removed the L plate, switched to ISO 400, TV mode with 1/50 (in that light, the aperture was falling between f/3.2-4), center point AF with BBF turned off. Also told her if anything looks off, just turn to the green square.

She told me the next day that the camera was great, but a bit heavy and she wasn't able to hold it steady and taking blurred shots; so she gave it to another guy who took some nice pics. I looked at the images and found out her subjects were consistently off-center, so she was always focusing on something in the background! I suppose that's why the green square is so useful, it is impossible to predict always what might go wrong. The other guy has a 40D, so he is quite familiar with dSLRs.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
1. One reason I got the M was as a travel backup body, need the adapter for that. I use it occasionally for a tele option on the M (a bit ungainly with the 70-300L), I'll likely pick up the M55-200 soon.

2. I use the Canon ER-E1 strap, has the lug. Ordered from HK (as the M55-200 will be, there or Canada).

3. I just got an extra Canon LP-E12.

4. Lowepro Dashpoint 20 for the M+22, Dashpoint 30 for the M+18-55, the latter fits with the EW-54 hood mounted in the forward (in-use) orientation.

Thanks, Neuro.
Let us know how the M55-200 looks. Good to know that it exists. Wonder why Canon thinks US is such a bad market for the M (well, probably because it is :( )
ER-E1 is a bit expensive for a strap without a cincher. How do you use it? Can you maybe post an image of you holding it?
Some were saying the Wasabi runs longer than the OEM batteries. I wonder...
I'll probably not get the 18-55 anytime soon, so the 20 might work unless I find something *slightly* bigger so I can pack the batteries in as well.

Upvote 0
DRR said:
1) I use the adapter regularly with my 40mm. I use my 40mm more on the EOS M than I do on my DSLR.

2) I use a peak design Cuff. It's not a perfect solution but Canon's decision to use the lugs really limits the options here.

3) I use a mix of OEM and opteka batteries. The optekas are functionally the same as the OEM. Charges in the charger, reports battery life to the camera, etc. I hear similar reports about the Wasabi also. I don't shoot video so I can't comment on that but I get about the same number of shots from the opteka as I do the OEM.

4) Bag - I'm often carrying other things, not just camera kit, so others will have better suggestions here!

Oops! I am actually planning to sell my 40mm now that I have the M+22!
The Cuff looks mighty interesting. Will have to look into that!
Thanks for the tips!

Upvote 0
surapon said:
sagittariansrock said:

Thanks, all, in advance.

Dear Friend Mr. sagittariansrock.

Here is my Best New toy And Cheap for EOS-M.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21647.0

Enjoy
Surapon

Thanks, Surapon. Interesting lens, will have to keep it in mind.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
For me, the whole idea of having an EOS-M is to make a small (hopefully light weight) travel kit. I fit the following into a Lowepro Micro case (as the name implies, it is small, 5'X6"X7", external):EOS-M with strap and 22mm lens(all in an old Rollie P&S pouch that can be attached to the belt), 18-55 zoom with hood, optical view finder for the 22mm, 90ex flash, lens cleaning stuff, one SPARE cap for each lens( the center push cap falls off easily) and a 35 f 2.0 Summicron with M to EOS-M adapter( 2" x 1 3/4" combined). If the need arrives, I can switch the Elmer 90 f4 for the Summicron 35 f2 before the bag leaves home. No EF to EOS-M adapter or EF lens due the the relatively large size.

Why, you have a nice M kit going!
Love to see some shots out of that 35/2 :)

Upvote 0