EOS M Accessory question

I bought and sold an EOS M + 22 + 18-55 + adapter. Then when the second fire sale (at $250) came around, I snagged the M + 22 again and added the adapter as well. When I had it previously, about the only lens I mounted on it was the 40mm. However, this time around I have additional lenses and find 2 that work really well with it. I use the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM and the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM both work wonderfully on it. The EF 85mm f/1.8 also works well but due to the longer focal length I find it slightly more difficult to compose images and locate my subjects - it's not terrible, but it's not great either.

For me, the 22 + 35 IS + 50 is a GREAT, LIGHTWEIGHT, small(ish) walkaround combo. Personally, I find zoom lenses on the M to be cumbersome and I don't really like them. Both the native 18-55 and adapted zooms. Adapted zooms are worse. Probably a personal preference. And note I haven't tried the 11-22 or the 55-200.

Upvote 0
I use the Peak Design Cuff with my EOS M. You should check out the Peak Design System, its one of the most versatile accessories out there.

I use the Leash and Cuff to easily switch between a regular strap to a wrist strap in seconds. The straps are small too which is perfect for the EOS M. And if I'm hiking, I use the Capture Clip to "clip" my camera on to one of my backpack straps, keeps my hands free and my camera from dangling around on a strap.

Here's the link for their kickstarter video if you wanna see all 3 accessories in action:
http://kck.st/1ii6tm0

Upvote 0
jebrady03 said:
I bought and sold an EOS M + 22 + 18-55 + adapter. Then when the second fire sale (at $250) came around, I snagged the M + 22 again and added the adapter as well. When I had it previously, about the only lens I mounted on it was the 40mm. However, this time around I have additional lenses and find 2 that work really well with it. I use the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM and the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM both work wonderfully on it. The EF 85mm f/1.8 also works well but due to the longer focal length I find it slightly more difficult to compose images and locate my subjects - it's not terrible, but it's not great either.

For me, the 22 + 35 IS + 50 is a GREAT, LIGHTWEIGHT, small(ish) walkaround combo. Personally, I find zoom lenses on the M to be cumbersome and I don't really like them. Both the native 18-55 and adapted zooms. Adapted zooms are worse. Probably a personal preference. And note I haven't tried the 11-22 or the 55-200.

I agree, a fast 50 on the M will complement the 22 nicely. Much like a 35-85 combo on FF.
I didn't really like the 50/1.4 though (bought and sold it 3 times), so I am thinking on the FD 50mm lines.

Upvote 0
Taemobig said:
I use the Peak Design Cuff with my EOS M. You should check out the Peak Design System, its one of the most versatile accessories out there.

I use the Leash and Cuff to easily switch between a regular strap to a wrist strap in seconds. The straps are small too which is perfect for the EOS M. And if I'm hiking, I use the Capture Clip to "clip" my camera on to one of my backpack straps, keeps my hands free and my camera from dangling around on a strap.

Here's the link for their kickstarter video if you wanna see all 3 accessories in action:
http://kck.st/1ii6tm0

Thanks for the link to Leash and cuff. I am waiting on their Clutch which I should receive thru Kickstarter sometime in the next few months.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sagittariansrock said:
neuroanatomist said:
1. One reason I got the M was as a travel backup body, need the adapter for that. I use it occasionally for a tele option on the M (a bit ungainly with the 70-300L), I'll likely pick up the M55-200 soon.

2. I use the Canon ER-E1 strap, has the lug. Ordered from HK (as the M55-200 will be, there or Canada).

3. I just got an extra Canon LP-E12.

4. Lowepro Dashpoint 20 for the M+22, Dashpoint 30 for the M+18-55, the latter fits with the EW-54 hood mounted in the forward (in-use) orientation.

Thanks, Neuro.
Let us know how the M55-200 looks. Good to know that it exists. Wonder why Canon thinks US is such a bad market for the M (well, probably because it is :( )
ER-E1 is a bit expensive for a strap without a cincher. How do you use it? Can you maybe post an image of you holding it?
Some were saying the Wasabi runs longer than the OEM batteries. I wonder...
I'll probably not get the 18-55 anytime soon, so the 20 might work unless I find something *slightly* bigger so I can pack the batteries in as well.

Will do. TBH, I wasn't initially planning on building an M kit, but I've been quite happy with the M+22, bought the M18-55 recently.

I just use the ER-E1 as a 'safety strap' around my right wrist. It's leather, well constructed, and doesn't need a cincher for me (although thanks for the reminder - my daughter has a 'cast-off' camera (PowerShot S95), I just ordered some Wiimote cinch straps to keep it from slipping off her wrist again).

Haven't used the Wasabi batteries. I get 400-500 shots over 2-3 days on one OEM battery (I have two).

I also have a little Hejnar plate for my Arca-Swiss type tripod clamps.

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
sagittariansrock said:
Found something really cool to maybe create a grip, called Sugru.
Anybody used this before? How strong is it?
www.sugru.com

I don't use a grip, but this one seems quite nice.

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_eosm

Thanks, Brad-man. I did see Richard Franiec's grips.
It is about $ 40 though, and the eBay one is half the price with an Arca Swiss mount.
So still a little undecided. I am really considering the sugru play-doh thingy.
If I end up buying it, I shall post a brief description of my experience.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Rocky said:
infared said:
Can anyone help me find the viewfinder accessory???? :p

https://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm
You need to scroll the list to find the finder that you want.

http://www.flipbac.com/angle-viewfinder-about.htm

Those are a laughable.solution for a viewfinder..that is why my mirrorless system is MFT. No contest.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
infared said:

https://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm
You need to scroll the list to find the finder that you want.

http://www.flipbac.com/angle-viewfinder-about.htm

The flipbac is a complete waste of money. Pity I bought one.. The hinge became loose very quickly.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
infared said:

Good point. That would greatly help reduce battery consumption and reduce glare outdoors (although I saw a huge loupe on ebay for pretty low price that somewhat dwarfs the M).

I used to think the same and bought a 35mm OVF. But you can't turn the LCD off when you half press the shutter button... you're not going to save much battery if at all. And a good OVF costs more than the M itself...

Upvote 0
yakman said:
sagittariansrock said:
infared said:

Good point. That would greatly help reduce battery consumption and reduce glare outdoors (although I saw a huge loupe on ebay for pretty low price that somewhat dwarfs the M).

I used to think the same and bought a 35mm OVF. But you can't turn the LCD off when you half press the shutter button... you're not going to save much battery if at all. And a good OVF costs more than the M itself...

Good point, getting spare batteries will be a cheaper option :)
Well, I really bought the M for its LCD, which my wife and random good samaritans prefer. So the VF is not a priority. I guess I'll use a cap or something out of doors...

BTW, thanks all for the suggestions.
I have bought the Dashpoint 20 already. Now debating between the Sugru silicon putty and the eBay grip Surapon and BL had suggested earlier. BL, if you read this post- can you please post a photo of how you grip it? My hands are quite small and I am worried I won't reach the shutter button after wrapping my hands around the grip... :-\
Strap wise I am debating between the Joby and the OEM strap- the neck strap is definitely too much in my way.
I think I will hold off the EF-EF-M adapter. Metabones says they cannot comment on a Speedbooster for the M. I think if Canon shows a bit more commitment, they might. But would Canon? Like launching an M3, selling the wide and tele zooms in the US, how about that, eh?

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
yakman said:
sagittariansrock said:
infared said:

OVF got nothing to do with saving the battery. It is for situation that renders the LCD to becomes useless. i.e. the sun shines right on the LCD.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
I think I will hold off the EF-EF-M adapter.
Amazon had it for $60 a few weeks back and I ordered but later canceled it. I can't ever see myself using the adapter - the whole idea (for me) of the M is that it's tiny. Adding the adapter and my L glass would make it ridiculous. I carry a 5DIII (or 1D X depending on the shoot) as a back up body, but for those who carry the M for that purpose, I could see the purpose of the adapter.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
I think I will hold off the EF-EF-M adapter.
Amazon had it for $60 a few weeks back and I ordered but later canceled it. I can't ever see myself using the adapter - the whole idea (for me) of the M is that it's tiny. Adding the adapter and my L glass would make it ridiculous. I carry a 5DIII (or 1D X depending on the shoot) as a back up body, but for those who carry the M for that purpose, I could see the purpose of the adapter.

Ok, that's exactly what I was thinking. I do carry a 5Dc as a back up when needed, so I still couldn't visualize using the M for that purpose.
I mean, when is an APS-C camera useful as a back up to a FF?
1. When extending reach. And I remember both during a concert and a friend's graduation ceremony I was bummed by the distance. So I could have used the lenses (the 135L and the 70-200 II) with the M instead. But I could have used them with the 1.4x III as well, and I have that piece of equipment already. I suppose I could use both however, which brings me back to an advantage in getting the adapter...
2. If I forget a back up body. Unlikely. If I need a back up, I will carry a back up.
3. If I want telephoto video... now that is another possibility. I hardly if ever use my 5DIII for video and the M is quite a nice video camera. Ok... now I am inclining towards getting the adapter... :-\

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
sagittariansrock said:
yakman said:
sagittariansrock said:
infared said:

Good point, getting spare batteries will be a cheaper option :)
Well, I really bought the M for its LCD, which my wife and random good samaritans prefer. So the VF is not a priority. I guess I'll use a cap or something out of doors...

BTW, thanks all for the suggestions.
I have bought the Dashpoint 20 already. Now debating between the Sugru silicon putty and the eBay grip Surapon and BL had suggested earlier. BL, if you read this post- can you please post a photo of how you grip it? My hands are quite small and I am worried I won't reach the shutter button after wrapping my hands around the grip... :-\
Strap wise I am debating between the Joby and the OEM strap- the neck strap is definitely too much in my way.
I think I will hold off the EF-EF-M adapter. Metabones says they cannot comment on a Speedbooster for the M. I think if Canon shows a bit more commitment, they might. But would Canon? Like launching an M3, selling the wide and tele zooms in the US, how about that, eh?
http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_eosm
That may be be the best grip for EOS-M

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
sagittariansrock said:
BL, if you read this post- can you please post a photo of how you grip it? My hands are quite small and I am worried I won't reach the shutter button after wrapping my hands around the grip... :-\

I have small hands too. But this grip works great for me!

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0
BL said:
sagittariansrock said:
BL, if you read this post- can you please post a photo of how you grip it? My hands are quite small and I am worried I won't reach the shutter button after wrapping my hands around the grip... :-\

I have small hands too. But this grip works great for me!

Perfect! Thanks so much.
Grip has been ordered :)
BTW, there is a spray-on rubber paint called Plasti Dip. It will add friction and comfort to the grip.

Upvote 0