EOS M Accessory question

sagittariansrock said:
jebrady03 said:
I bought and sold an EOS M + 22 + 18-55 + adapter. Then when the second fire sale (at $250) came around, I snagged the M + 22 again and added the adapter as well. When I had it previously, about the only lens I mounted on it was the 40mm. However, this time around I have additional lenses and find 2 that work really well with it. I use the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM and the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM both work wonderfully on it. The EF 85mm f/1.8 also works well but due to the longer focal length I find it slightly more difficult to compose images and locate my subjects - it's not terrible, but it's not great either.

For me, the 22 + 35 IS + 50 is a GREAT, LIGHTWEIGHT, small(ish) walkaround combo. Personally, I find zoom lenses on the M to be cumbersome and I don't really like them. Both the native 18-55 and adapted zooms. Adapted zooms are worse. Probably a personal preference. And note I haven't tried the 11-22 or the 55-200.

I agree, a fast 50 on the M will complement the 22 nicely. Much like a 35-85 combo on FF.
I didn't really like the 50/1.4 though (bought and sold it 3 times), so I am thinking on the FD 50mm lines.

If that is the case go for a M42 mount 50mm. I could not tell any real optical difference between the FD 50mm 1.8 and the EF 50 1.8. I expect the FD 50mm 1.4 would be the same. I have thought about tracking down a FD 55mm f1.2 that may be worth it.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
I think I will hold off the EF-EF-M adapter.
Amazon had it for $60 a few weeks back and I ordered but later canceled it. I can't ever see myself using the adapter - the whole idea (for me) of the M is that it's tiny. Adding the adapter and my L glass would make it ridiculous. I carry a 5DIII (or 1D X depending on the shoot) as a back up body, but for those who carry the M for that purpose, I could see the purpose of the adapter.
Smart! The Idea of EOS-M is to have a SMALL kit. Some posters here seems to be doing the opposite. They are building up a big system around the tiny EOS-M. If that is the case, they might as well bring their FF DSLR kit.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
I think I will hold off the EF-EF-M adapter.
Amazon had it for $60 a few weeks back and I ordered but later canceled it. I can't ever see myself using the adapter - the whole idea (for me) of the M is that it's tiny. Adding the adapter and my L glass would make it ridiculous. I carry a 5DIII (or 1D X depending on the shoot) as a back up body, but for those who carry the M for that purpose, I could see the purpose of the adapter.
Smart! The Idea of EOS-M is to have a SMALL kit. Some posters here seems to be doing the opposite. They are building up a big system around the tiny EOS-M. If that is the case, they might as well bring their FF DSLR kit.

It's an individual decision. While I personally favored the idea of a compact camera staying compact, I am more than willing to listen to the rationale of very smart and experienced people going the other way.
The Franiec grip, by the way, looks very nice but almost double the price of the ebay one. Worth it I am sure, but I am cheap ;D

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
sagittariansrock said:
Found something really cool to maybe create a grip, called Sugru.
Anybody used this before? How strong is it?
www.sugru.com

You made me spend almost two hours dreaming possibilities to use this wonderful material to do some DIY projects. Thanks for letting us know about the existence of this thing.

Just wonder if one could make use of it to design some sort of weather seal on lenses, camera and battery grip etc etc.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Taemobig said:
I use the Peak Design Cuff with my EOS M. You should check out the Peak Design System, its one of the most versatile accessories out there.

I use the Leash and Cuff to easily switch between a regular strap to a wrist strap in seconds. The straps are small too which is perfect for the EOS M. And if I'm hiking, I use the Capture Clip to "clip" my camera on to one of my backpack straps, keeps my hands free and my camera from dangling around on a strap.

Here's the link for their kickstarter video if you wanna see all 3 accessories in action:
http://kck.st/1ii6tm0

I use the same setup from Peak for my M - cuff, leash, Capture Pro with Microplate, and long clamping bolts for my thick packstrap. Great for hiking or just around town.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I find the ef-m adapter useful as a backup option, to extend reach, or to mount specialty lenses. Before I had the entire ef-m lens collection I tried all of my L glass on the M to see how they performed. I had used them on a T2i before so I was already comfortable with the crop factor. I appreciated the lenses with IS a bit more but found I could handhold them with appropriate shutter speeds.

I really prefer the native lens for their size and balance. In the photos you can see how I cradle the M and lens in my left hand, freeing my right for the controls. It's surprising how small and easy to hold is a 200 mm lens. It's somewhat similar to your golf grip. Lenses with the adapter were a bit more awkward.

My primary outdoor lenses for the M are the 11-22 and 55-200, with the 22 my choice for indoors. I find the 18-55 most useful for backyard video of the grandkid. The adapter still gets used for the Tamron 150-600, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, and 8-15 f/4L fisheye which don't have ef-m counterparts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 328
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
sagittariansrock said:
Just got the EOS M + 22mm. Like it and will keep it for the long term, so now need to think about accessories.

4. Bag: Neuro earlier had mentioned the Dashpoint 20. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, all, in advance.

The Dashpoint 20 is a good fit for the M+22. I use a hard case for storage and travel with my M system now. I use the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 to carry the M, 2 lenses, batteries, etc when I'm out and about. I also have a 3" aluminum rod tube to carry my M, 2 lenses, and accessories when I'm hiking/backpacking.

Upvote 0
I use the Canon EOS M jacket & strap that came with my kit. My version is black, while this picture is the red one
http://www.slashgear.com/canon-eos-m-japan-reveals-accessories-coming-late-september-23239853/

I prefer it to just a rubber grip. It makes the whole M much comfort in my hands.
The con is that you'll have to take it off when changing battery or card.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
dcm said:
I find the ef-m adapter useful as a backup option, to extend reach, or to mount specialty lenses. Before I had the entire ef-m lens collection I tried all of my L glass on the M to see how they performed. I had used them on a T2i before so I was already comfortable with the crop factor. I appreciated the lenses with IS a bit more but found I could handhold them with appropriate shutter speeds.

I really prefer the native lens for their size and balance. In the photos you can see how I cradle the M and lens in my left hand, freeing my right for the controls. It's surprising how small and easy to hold is a 200 mm lens. It's somewhat similar to your golf grip. Lenses with the adapter were a bit more awkward.

My primary outdoor lenses for the M are the 11-22 and 55-200, with the 22 my choice for indoors. I find the 18-55 most useful for backyard video of the grandkid. The adapter still gets used for the Tamron 150-600, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, and 8-15 f/4L fisheye which don't have ef-m counterparts.

How do you like the 55-200? I can't find any definitive information about it at all. Do you find it to be sharp at all/most FL? Do you feel that the lens is worth $400, or is it simply the only game in town with a small footprint? Any insight would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
brad-man said:
dcm said:

How do you like the 55-200? I can't find any definitive information about it at all. Do you find it to be sharp at all/most FL? Do you feel that the lens is worth $400, or is it simply the only game in town with a small footprint? Any insight would be appreciated!

A bit early to say anything definitive. Initial impression is as good as EFS 55-250 STM. No comparison to my 70-200f4L IS on the M, but they are in different leagues. The size and balance easily trumps the others. It goes easily wherever my M goes. The others didn't.

Meets my needs, but I don't pixel peep too much except to compare with my other lenses. Seemed a bit soft on the long end but that could easily be my handholding technique or missing focus. Have posted a few photos in other threads. Maybe we need to start a thread for it. Traveling now and have a backlog to process, might post some more next week.

Upvote 0
dcm said:
sagittariansrock said:
Just got the EOS M + 22mm. Like it and will keep it for the long term, so now need to think about accessories.

4. Bag: Neuro earlier had mentioned the Dashpoint 20. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, all, in advance.

The Dashpoint 20 is a good fit for the M+22. I use a hard case for storage and travel with my M system now. I use the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 to carry the M, 2 lenses, batteries, etc when I'm out and about. I also have a 3" aluminum rod tube to carry my M, 2 lenses, and accessories when I'm hiking/backpacking.

+1 for the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover. I have the 100 so it's small enough to fit inside a larger backpack for flying and traveling etc. It just fits camera, 22/2 and 11-22 with hood.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
1. Canon EF-EF-M adapter:
got it. Use it ever so often ... primarily for tele with EF-S 55-250 IS STM and with EF 40/2.8 STM. STM lenses are the only ones I find working reasonably well as far as AF is concerned. Also use EF-S 60 Macro for close-ups.

2. Wrist strap: don't have one. use it without strap most of the time. Only at crowded events and for mauntaineering I use the original neck strap.

3. Batteries: got 2x original LP-E12 + 2x Patona. I need all 4 for a day of shooting. Patona are OK-ish, but originals are clearly better, hold more charge. Don't do video at all.

4. Bag: LowePro Dashpoint 30 for M + 18-55 incl. lens shade. Plus a Hama bag Nashville 130 for entire kit.

Upvote 0
sama said:
sagittariansrock said:
Found something really cool to maybe create a grip, called Sugru.
Anybody used this before? How strong is it?
www.sugru.com

You made me spend almost two hours dreaming possibilities to use this wonderful material to do some DIY projects. Thanks for letting us know about the existence of this thing.

Just wonder if one could make use of it to design some sort of weather seal on lenses, camera and battery grip etc etc.

Glad to be of help. It has affected me very similarly.
However, let me say this: using a gasket at the mount with non-sealed lenses does not seal the numerous other places moisture or dirt may get in. It only creates a false sense of security. Same with cameras. So unless you are familiar with the entire build and know all the gaps to fill or planning to coat the whole thing with sugru :eek: I don't recommend it.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
+1 for the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover. I have the 100 so it's small enough to fit inside a larger backpack for flying and traveling etc. It just fits camera, 22/2 and 11-22 with hood.

The mirrorless mover looks really nice and is nicely priced, but I have a Lowepro Rezo 170 that can serve that purpose if and when I get more M-specific lenses. Good suggestion, though.
I wasn't going to use the strap, so wanted a bag that I can have on the side that essentially doubles as a strap for the camera and is almost the same size.

dcm said:

The Dashpoint 20 has arrived, and I love it!
What is a rod tube?!?

AvTvM said:
1. Canon EF-EF-M adapter:
got it. Use it ever so often ... primarily for tele with EF-S 55-250 IS STM and with EF 40/2.8 STM. STM lenses are the only ones I find working reasonably well as far as AF is concerned. Also use EF-S 60 Macro for close-ups.
3. Batteries: got 2x original LP-E12 + 2x Patona. I need all 4 for a day of shooting. Patona are OK-ish, but originals are clearly better, hold more charge. Don't do video at all.

I see, thanks! I suppose I will wait on the adapter then...
I heard the Wasabis are better than OEM. Now I wonder...

Upvote 0
yakman said:
I use the Canon EOS M jacket & strap that came with my kit. My version is black, while this picture is the red one
http://www.slashgear.com/canon-eos-m-japan-reveals-accessories-coming-late-september-23239853/

I prefer it to just a rubber grip. It makes the whole M much comfort in my hands.
The con is that you'll have to take it off when changing battery or card.

Wow! Nice one. I might look out for it. This is grip, strap and case all in one!

Upvote 0