EOS M Accessory question

Rocky said:
Jamesy said:
I use the Flipbac 4 rubber 'peel and stick' grip along with the Canon ER-E1 wrist strap and this combo makes it very hand-holdable with one hand.
The Flipbac grip is wide and not that thick. How does it compare to the DSLR grip in terms of handling. Rubber grip will give you a better traction for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion for the Flipbac and the Franiec. I ended up going the grip+Arca swiss adapter route with the ebay thingy BL has posted.

Upvote 0
jebrady03 said:
sagittariansrock said:
I didn't really like the 50/1.4 though (bought and sold it 3 times), so I am thinking on the FD 50mm lines.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the 50/1.4? Is it anything that the on-sensor AF of the M would solve?

What I didn't like about the 50/1.4 now (my 2nd and 3rd copies, after going full frame) is that it isn't tack sharp wide open or even below 2.8 (after which it is totally fine). However, my 24-70 II is as sharp if not sharper wide open. So I don't see the advantage of carrying the prime around (the 24-70 II is a bit of a prime killer :) ). My second copy was also front focusing a bit which wouldn't work with my 5Dc (no AFMA).
The other thing was the zoom has better color and contrast than the 50.
For portability I have the 35/1.4 and had the 40/2.8 (now replaced by the M+22 as my new compact kit).

Earlier, I used to own the 50/1.8 when I bought the 50/1.4 and the latter didn't seem a huge improvement over its thrice as cheap brother.

M+cheap FD lenses+focus peaking using ML sounds like a fun proposition!

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
dcm said:
brad-man said:
dcm said:
I find the ef-m adapter useful as a backup option, to extend reach, or to mount specialty lenses. Before I had the entire ef-m lens collection I tried all of my L glass on the M to see how they performed. I had used them on a T2i before so I was already comfortable with the crop factor. I appreciated the lenses with IS a bit more but found I could handhold them with appropriate shutter speeds.

I really prefer the native lens for their size and balance. In the photos you can see how I cradle the M and lens in my left hand, freeing my right for the controls. It's surprising how small and easy to hold is a 200 mm lens. It's somewhat similar to your golf grip. Lenses with the adapter were a bit more awkward.

My primary outdoor lenses for the M are the 11-22 and 55-200, with the 22 my choice for indoors. I find the 18-55 most useful for backyard video of the grandkid. The adapter still gets used for the Tamron 150-600, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, and 8-15 f/4L fisheye which don't have ef-m counterparts.

How do you like the 55-200? I can't find any definitive information about it at all. Do you find it to be sharp at all/most FL? Do you feel that the lens is worth $400, or is it simply the only game in town with a small footprint? Any insight would be appreciated!

A bit early to say anything definitive. Initial impression is as good as EFS 55-250 STM. No comparison to my 70-200f4L IS on the M, but they are in different leagues. The size and balance easily trumps the others. It goes easily wherever my M goes. The others didn't.

Meets my needs, but I don't pixel peep too much except to compare with my other lenses. Seemed a bit soft on the long end but that could easily be my handholding technique or missing focus. Have posted a few photos in other threads. Maybe we need to start a thread for it. Traveling now and have a backlog to process, might post some more next week.

More shots would be greatly appreciated! I really want to like this lens or the Tamron as it would be very convenient to have all bases covered in such a compact kit. I hope Canon releases the third iteration body before x-mas (not likely) so third party manufacturers can have enough incentive to produce some fast primes for the little bugger.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
sagittariansrock said:
dcm said:
The Dashpoint 20 is a good fit for the M+22. I use a hard case for storage and travel with my M system now. I use the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 to carry the M, 2 lenses, batteries, etc when I'm out and about. I also have a 3" aluminum rod tube to carry my M, 2 lenses, and accessories when I'm hiking/backpacking.

The Dashpoint 20 has arrived, and I love it!
What is a rod tube?!?

Sorry, custom aluminum tube for fly rods that I had made to carry my M safely in a backpack when I was getting one made for a new Tenkara fly rod. Here's the post
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21824.msg427946#msg427946

Here's the local shop that made mine - http://www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com/

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
brad-man said:
More shots would be greatly appreciated! I really want to like this lens or the Tamron as it would be very convenient to have all bases covered in such a compact kit. I hope Canon releases the third iteration body before x-mas (not likely) so third party manufacturers can have enough incentive to produce some fast primes for the little bugger.

Here's a few comparison images I took while visiting Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend. Target is Long's Peak from Highway 7 about 4.5 miles away. Early in the day so only a slight haze. Used a tripod and 2 second timer to minimize technique issues. Pixel peepers might notice some folks on the peak. Raw images exported from DxO OP9 with no corrections.

I think I'll keep it.

M / EF-M 55-200 at 200mm

IMG_5862_dxo
by dvmtthws, on Flickr

M / EF 70-200 f/4L IS at 200mm

IMG_5870_dxo
by dvmtthws, on Flickr

6D / Tamron 150-600 at 300mm

IMG_1473_dxo
by dvmtthws, on Flickr

Upvote 0
dcm said:
sagittariansrock said:
dcm said:
The Dashpoint 20 is a good fit for the M+22. I use a hard case for storage and travel with my M system now. I use the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 to carry the M, 2 lenses, batteries, etc when I'm out and about. I also have a 3" aluminum rod tube to carry my M, 2 lenses, and accessories when I'm hiking/backpacking.

The Dashpoint 20 has arrived, and I love it!
What is a rod tube?!?

Sorry, custom aluminum tube for fly rods that I had made to carry my M safely in a backpack when I was getting one made for a new Tenkara fly rod. Here's the post
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21824.msg427946#msg427946

Here's the local shop that made mine - http://www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com/

Wow! That's very innovative!

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
dcm said:
brad-man said:

Here's a few comparison images I took while visiting Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend. Target is Long's Peak from Highway 7 about 4.5 miles away. Early in the day so only a slight haze. Used a tripod and 2 second timer to minimize technique issues. Pixel peepers might notice some folks on the peak. Raw images exported from DxO OP9 with no corrections.

I think I'll keep it.

Thanks for the samples! I found a reliable Japanese "bulk seller" on ebay and picked one up for under $390 shipped. I've only shot some walk around test shots, but it seems to be quite sharp. Haven't tried it on a moving subject though :p When the M3 comes out with a focus system that has tracking ability, I sure hope these lenses are up to the task.
Is anyone aware of an L bracket that's size-appropriate for this little fellow? Henjar Photo sells an L bracket for the Fuji 690 that is a little large but would work, but it's $105 ;D

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
Is anyone aware of an L bracket that's size-appropriate for this little fellow? Henjar Photo sells an L bracket for the Fuji 690 that is a little large but would work, but it's $105 ;D
I picked up this universal L-Bracket and although it is Arca-Swiss compatible it does not work with my RRS quick release clamp. If you use a screw type Arca clamp then you should be fine. It will rotate on the camera body over time as it is not machined specifically for the M however it is less than $10.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Jamesy said:
brad-man said:
I picked up this universal L-Bracket and although it is Arca-Swiss compatible it does not work with my RRS quick release clamp. If you use a screw type Arca clamp then you should be fine. It will rotate on the camera body over time as it is not machined specifically for the M however it is less than $10.

I only use arca screw clamps just to avoid such incompatibility issues between plate manufacturers. I would also appreciate the link.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
It was this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-MPU100-Quick-Release-L-Plate-Bracket-for-Camera-Benro-Arca-Swiss-NEW-/380932337447?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Funny, I emailed the vendor through eBay to say it does not work with the RRS QR clamp and he said the following:

All of our items are fully tested before sending out,
In that case, how about we resend you a new one? Is that OK for you ? Or would you like the refund? we respect your idea.

Sound good so far, so I asked for a refund to which he responded:
""How about refunding half of money and you don't return it to us due to expensive charges?""

I then said, OK, just send a new one like you initially said or refund half the money.

I know it is $8.50 but they stated RRS compatibility - not just Arca Swiss. It is a matter of principle.

I have heard of issues between Kirk and RRS on some clamps and there is no doubt the QR clamps are less open to any tolerance issues. I have a screw clamp on a Benro travel angel I picked up a few years back and if I were to do my Gitzo/Markins/RRS clamp again I would have just gone for the screw clamp - they are very quick and less prone to these types of issues.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
This is a more expensive option, but I already had the RRS BEOSM plate. They discontinued the L component before I could order it, but I recently found the BG1X-L L component for the BG1X plate would mate to the BEOSM plate and not interfere with the M ports or strap mount. See photos below.

One unexpected benefit - the L bracket makes it easier to hold the camera in my left hand while operating controls and touch screen with my right. I am right handed and use the touch screen a fair amount so I found the lack of grip on the left problematic. A grip on the right really doesn't work as well for me with touch screen cameras. Now if only I could find an ARCA comfort grip/strap that would slide on the L bracket I think this might be an ideal solution.

Attachments

• Mbracket1.jpg
    Mbracket1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 558
  • Mbracket2.jpg
    Mbracket2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 581
  • Mbracket3.jpg
    Mbracket3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 556
  • Mbracket4.jpg
    Mbracket4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 576
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
dcm said:
This is a more expensive option, but I already had the RRS BEOSM plate. They discontinued the L component before I could order it, but I recently found the BG1X-L L component for the BG1X plate would mate to the BEOSM plate and not interfere with the M ports or strap mount. See photos below.

One unexpected benefit - the L bracket makes it easier to hold the camera in my left hand while operating controls and touch screen with my right. I am right handed and use the touch screen a fair amount so I found the lack of grip on the left problematic. A grip on the right really doesn't work as well for me with touch screen cameras. Now if only I could find an ARCA comfort grip/strap that would slide on the L bracket I think this might be an ideal solution.

A very elegant solution! Hope it fits the M3 when it becomes available...

Upvote 0