EOS M Autofocus Performance Won't Improve via Firmware [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:
It a un-wise move to adopt a First gen product when its the only option available.

...unless you need the feature(s) that are only available in that first gen product. Granted, I haven't run across that scenario for photography...but it happens often in my day job.

So, EOS-M Gen2 won't be better and make the Gen1 cheaper? And avoiding problems by not adopting a gen1 system until gen2 is released?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
RLPhoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:
It a un-wise move to adopt a First gen product when its the only option available.

...unless you need the feature(s) that are only available in that first gen product. Granted, I haven't run across that scenario for photography...but it happens often in my day job.

So, EOS-M Gen2 won't be better and make the Gen1 cheaper? And avoiding problems by not adopting a gen1 system until gen2 is released?

Sure, a second generation version will improve upon the original, and make the original cheaper. But if you require a feature or features of the first version, you put up with the problems (not like the 2nd gen won't have it's own set of them) and you pay the premium.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:

Sure, a second generation version will improve upon the original, and make the original cheaper. But if you require a feature or features of the first version, you put up with the problems (not like the 2nd gen won't have it's own set of them) and you pay the premium.

Exactly, my original post.

"No surprise here. 1st Gen product."

Upvote 0
I do a lot of wildlife photography and lugging gear around especially on aeroplanes is a problem. I have several L lenses from 70-200 f2.8 IS to the 500mm F4. I normally have these attached to my 1D MkIV. I have often wished I had another short lens attached to a body for quick access but the additional weight was prohibitive.

Naturally when the EOS-M came onto the market I was very excited as I thought this would be a great 2nd and 3rd camera! Lightweight and cheap. Well since then I have been reading all the reviews on the slow AF I put that idea on hold, game and birds don't wait for slow AF may as well do a lens change if that's the case. It seems as if Canon is actually incapable of doing an upgrade as I am sure they would have done so long ago. I guess waiting for Firmware upgrade is a waste of time. I think they may be able to address the problem with the MkII, well maybe.

Upvote 0
ZS1RA said:
I do a lot of wildlife photography and lugging gear around especially on aeroplanes is a problem. I have several L lenses from 70-200 f2.8 IS to the 500mm F4. I normally have these attached to my 1D MkIV. I have often wished I had another short lens attached to a body for quick access but the additional weight was prohibitive.

Naturally when the EOS-M came onto the market I was very excited as I thought this would be a great 2nd and 3rd camera! Lightweight and cheap. Well since then I have been reading all the reviews on the slow AF I put that idea on hold, game and birds don't wait for slow AF may as well do a lens change if that's the case. It seems as if Canon is actually incapable of doing an upgrade as I am sure they would have done so long ago. I guess waiting for Firmware upgrade is a waste of time. I think they may be able to address the problem with the MkII, well maybe.

FWIW, we have an EOS M and a Fuji X100s (and a 1D Mark II if we need to look serious). Frankly, the X100S with it's fancy new focus system doesn't strike me a much faster then the EOS M with either EF-M or EF lenses. I believe the slow/hunting AF reports are exaggerated. If you're really interested in the camera, I'd recommend testing it out before you dismiss it based on reviews. I have little doubt that the next version of the EOS M will be improved in all aspects, but jumping to the much adored X100S, makes me realized how capable the EOS M is. Plus, with that 22mm lens, you're getting some stellar IQ in a tiny, tiny package that you can take damn near anywhere. It sounds like the new SL1 is pretty peppy when not using Live View. It might be one to consider.

Upvote 0
Howdy,
Noob reporting in. I bought an EOS M. Why? Because Magic Lantern. I wanted to drop a couple of my criticisms of the criticisms here. You guys are advanced photographers. Why not use manual focus? What about zone focusing?

I am kinda kicking myself for not looking for a cheap NEX5r or just buying a cheaper NEXC3 with the nice prime they have, anyway. If someone hacks Sony firmware I will switch. ML+focus peaking is great, but sony already had focus peaking. I would love to see ML figure out how to town down the contrast focusing.

1st post, woot

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.