EOS M4 wish list

scyrene said:
I genuinely don't get the 'pocketability' argument. Everyone seems to have differing opinions on what is pocketable, and the truth is interchangeable lens cameras are always going to be larger. The pocketable sector will always be dominated by mobile phones and a few compact cameras.

Can I be the only person who wouldn't take a camera out in their pocket? They seem a lot less robust and a lot more easily accidentally activated than a phone. I often/almost always carry a bag with me so I'd put my camera in there. And then the size and weight advantage of the M over a DSLR is significant, and that remains true with all its native lenses.

Even if we could all agree on what pocketable means, if that is the primary criterion for you then I don't think the M is the right system for you.

I think that does actually tough on a significant issue when it comes to "pocketable", as you say a pocket is quite vulnerable and beyond that I would say that a lot of "pocket" use also tends to be quiet casual.

The outcome I would say is that a lot of people who buy pocketable cameras don't want to be carrying anything too expensive. I'v got a GXR with 28 and 50mm units for people/macro and a Sigma DP1M for landscape that cost be £250(used) and £300 respectively and the lower price relative to my FF gear is just as much of an issue as the size.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
For me the biggest changes I would make to the M3 are:

1) % indication of battery life. The three bars is simply not good enough.

2) no buttons in immediate bottom right of rear (ie move the 'menu' button) - too easy to trigger by accident.

3) a useful flash or none at all.

4) bring back the rotating neck strap clip as on EOS M

5) *MOST IMPORTANT* Enable USB tethered shooting

Upvote 0
I couldn't agree more regarding compact and pancake lenses. I had a Pentax system for a while, and they have understood the benefit of small, quality lenses. For some reason it hasn't caught on with the mirrorless crowd. I don't get it. Why the long lenses on a tiny body? Why not short lenses on a tiny body? I just don't get it...

There's an interview on imaging resource with head of Canon who says there's an enthusiast M on the way plus lenses. Halley's comet is also on the way. So we'll see.

Tinky said:
Canon translated the EF 40mm f2.8 to APS-C by means of the EF-s 24mm f2.8. M users get the 22mm which is as near as dammit, but with a stop brighter max aperture, which is also very usable wide open.

I'm going to go against the grain.

I would like to see another M pancake. Maybe a collapsable 50mm (80mm equivalent) but then with the new nifty fifty apparently on its way... do we need it...

I think what we absolutely 100% need is a cheaper adaptor. Canon should either subsidise the metal one, or make a plastic one which can take the weight of EF lenses without a tripod ring, or make it EF-s only.

The greatest strength of the x0D and rebel series, and now the M, is the gateway.

I think m users are a tiny minority. I think making lenses exclusively for them is a waste of time, unless you are going to make them all pancakes / collapsable.

I look at the ef-m 55-200 and think, why would you want that on an M.... or if you really did why wouldn't you buy the adaptor, the Ef-s 55-250 and a half decent meal for you and the wife instead?

So my wishlist for the M...

Think small or not at all.

It has to be small.

The Ef-m 22mm is a brilliant statement of intent, a promising precedent.

In terms of body specs. You are doing fine. People can bang on about panasonics, alphas, fujis whatever. Do you want a retro trinket or access to the best lens system available?

But most of all, please let some reviewers fail to read the manual, fail to understand the af modes and give any new M a crap review. Not used to these prices.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Forgot the most important wish list feature for M4.

Add on a proper on/off switch, one that you can easily tell whether it's on or off by feel.

On the M3 I've lost count of the number of times I've thought it was off only to find it was sleeping, tried turning it on but it just wakes it up and then turns it off.

Conserving battery on the M series cameras is a critical part of using the camera, so a decent on/off switch is essential.

Upvote 0