EOS M5: A damnend good camera!

Oct 26, 2013
Re: EOS M5: A damend good camera!

Greatland said:
I truly appreciate your comments. I really don't think that I can improve on the capabilities of the 1DX but as we all know it is a damned heavy camera, and when I hook it up to my 200-400 or 600 it is real damned heavy. I am intrigued with the IS that is built into the body of the M5 and since I am interested in using it for video, mostly, it seemed like a good fit. I do take video with my 1DX but once again it is a bulky and heavy camera and sometimes it just isn't practical as I am usually out in the boonies shooting wildlife, or in some other confined place like a small plane, or small watercraft. So I guess that I am looking for something to shoot video with that is light, easy to handle, with familiar characteristics, unlike the Olympus or Sony, and that I can use my other Canon lenses with. Does this make sense??

OK, got it! You want light and primarily a video shooter. If you don't need 4K, then I think the M5 is far and away the best choice.

Upvote 0

I appreciate all of the feedback on the M5. Since I really am looking at something light, and that shoots good video, NOT 4K, I think that this is the way for me to go. If I want to shoot 4K I can use my 1DX MK II, but I find myself saving any 4K video for very special stuff...uses up a ton of memory and battery, which are two things that I don't really need...1080 at either 30 or 60 fps gives me really good stuff so I am thinking that the M5 is a far better option than either the Oly, at twice the price, or the Sony, at three times the price....I am going to Tanzania in August and plan on taking this camera with me along with my 1DX and my 5DSr

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

I know I've been posting random rants and complaints about the M5 here since I got mine, but at the same time I really do like the camera. It's so frustrating that it's great in many ways but seriously flawed in others. Anyway at the risk of repeating myself I decided to document everything in more detail.

http://www.everyothershot.com/canon-eos-m5-wanted-love-much/

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

jolyonralph said:
I know I've been posting random rants and complaints about the M5 here since I got mine, but at the same time I really do like the camera. It's so frustrating that it's great in many ways but seriously flawed in others. Anyway at the risk of repeating myself I decided to document everything in more detail.

http://www.everyothershot.com/canon-eos-m5-wanted-love-much/

Seriously flawed??? Most of your criticisms (some of which I agree with and are valid) are all very minor points - in fact so minor that you were able to find easy work-arounds for most of them.

I really wish people of this generation would understand how lucky they are having cameras that do so much more - and so much better than ever in history. And yet there is so much whining and complaining. If the glass is 80% full, most folks here still think it is more than 1/2 empty. So sad.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

dak723 said:
Seriously flawed???

Some of the problems are minor. The record button, the nose-on-the-touchscreen etc, because those can be dealt with easily.

I spent a long time working with the camera before writing this article. I didn't want it just to be a "I don't know how to use it properly" complaint. And I wanted to see if I could get used to the layout (after all, it is different to the M3 layout I was used to.) I also spoke with other users who, in general, agreed with my complaints.

Are these "serious flaws?". There are two ways to look at it. Firstly, how it affects us individually. And secondly how it affects the quality of the camera compared to the competition.

I've explained how it has affected me. I have ruined photos because the ISO got messed up. I feel that I'm going to suffer from an RSI attack every time I try to preview photos in the viewfinder. And that's if I can see them at all because of the inadequate rubber surround.

I find it disappointing that there are so many reasons that this camera should be excellent, but it is let down by some silly mistakes that should have been picked up and fixed in field testing of the camera prototypes.

To me, that I regard as a serious problem. And for Canon? Maybe for them they are lucky that 99% of people don't really think about the ergonomics of a camera's button positions before they make a purchase. Because the competition do seem to understand how to do this a lot better than Canon do.

And yes, this camera has some amazing technology inside it and can, as I said, produce absolutely incredible photos. I'm going to persevere with it, hopefully Canon will add the ability to disable/move the menu button in a future firmware update, or perhaps adding some kind of external leather half-case will improve this (although I've avoided that so far because I think that will make the finger stretch needed to do the image preview even more painful.)

I do actually love the M5 more than I hate it. But if we don't complain about the things that are wrong Canon won't know that we're not happy...

This is the fifth mirrorless camera that Canon have produced, and it really should have been better. Perhaps that's because not enough people have complained in the past - choosing instead to either put up with the problems or move on to a different camera system. But I want the EOS M system to work. I like the cameras, I even like all the EF-M lenses that I have already. And it's clearly the best mirrorless system for those who have invested in any serious amount of EF glass to use (The A7RII with the Metabones adaptor isn't too bad, but still not as good and of course significantly more expensive.)

Upvote 0

Back to the beginning...
JoFT said:
And there are some topics I am missing in the Canon mirrorless world - but I hope this is going to come...
  • no IBIS
  • no 4k Video
  • no fully articulated screen
  • no weather sealing
  • relatively slow autofocus
  • small viewfinder

All these are addressed by a $900 Oly E-M5II (except 4K). As to menus, that's just a matter of what you are accustomed to... I don't understand German well, but that's not the fault of the German language.

For me the big factor is the lens size. If you want smaller/lighter then it does not make sense to put EF lenses on a m43 camera. I started thinking I would do that, but those tiny lenses are too handy and too good. The E-M5II with 12-40mm f2.8 PRO lens together weigh less than just an EF 24-70 lens! Use the pancake zoom instead and it weighs even less and fits a cargo pants pocket. Rats!!! Now I've got two complete systems. As always YMMV.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

A lot of people (yes, including me!) complain about the lack of lens choice on the EOS M system. But those lenses that we have are really not that bad (except the 15-45 which is quite poor.)

Even the old kit lens, the EF-M 18-55 which came with my original EOS-M has perfectly good sharpness and colour on the M5.

and:

EF-M 22mm - great lens
EF-M 28mm - great lens
EF-M 11-22mm - great lens. as good as my EF-S 10-18 in quality.
EF-M 55-200mm - not tried it but everyone tells me is great.
EF-M 18-150mm - was expecting poor compromise lens, but again am told this is actually rather good.

Add to this the following lightweight options if you want to use certain EF/EF-S lenses with the adaptor (and cheaper third party adaptors are available, but be careful as some aren't as good as others)

EF-S 24mm f/2.8 - perfectly lightweight option on M5 although not much point if you have the 22mm
EF 40mm f/2.8 - great combination with the adaptor to use on the M5
EF 50mm f/1.8 - Really not bulky at all on an M5 with the adaptor.

Samyang also do a range of good EF-M manual focus lenses. And of course with adaptors you can go crazy buying cheap old lenses on ebay and having a field day with manual focus. Lenses I've been using with my M5 recently include:

Nikkor Q f/4 200mm
Nikkor f/1.4 50mm
FD 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 macro

Now, none of this excuses Canon from being slow in launching more EF-M lenses. But M5 owners do have more sensible lens choices than owners of any other canon system if you're willing to use adaptors and cope with the inevitable balance issues of heavier lenses on a lighter body.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

jolyonralph said:
Now, none of this excuses Canon from being slow in launching more EF-M lenses. But M5 owners do have more sensible lens choices than owners of any other canon system if you're willing to use adaptors and cope with the inevitable balance issues of heavier lenses on a lighter body.

IMO the M5 is targeted mainly at people wanting a compact large-sensor alternative to their phone and I think the range of EOS-M lenses available fills almost all situations, especially given that the target uses are not pixel-peeping gear freaks that a lot (most?) on this forum are.
Whether experienced photographers want to pick it up as a compact alternative to their big DSLR rig is a different question, and while Canon give users that option I am sure Canon look on those as a bonus revenue stream.

In that light, what exactly do Canon need to be excused for, given that your post says that the lenses they do have are 'great' or 'rather good'?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

Mikehit said:
In that light, what exactly do Canon need to be excused for, given that your post says that the lenses they do have are 'great' or 'rather good'?

A fair point. They do cover most bases with the options they already have. But they don't have any fast zooms, they don't have any primes > 28mm. The competition does.

And, sad to say, the competition in the MILC field are generally doing much better than Canon, who are playing catch-up. Would I recommend an EOS M5 to someone looking for their first camera to upgrade from phone photos? Probably not.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012

digigal said:
Greatland--
I don't know about how well the Metabones adapter works with the Oly model and lens you want to use and what apertures but there seems to be a lot of limitations as to what Canon lenses and models of Oly cameras it will work with and what types of focusing it will allow. It's not "plug and play" like the Canon adapter is with the Canon lenses and M5. However, the M5 is somewhat "focus compromised" compared to some of the other top of the line mirrorless, but for some applications, it's great. I'll be taking one with me in a couple of weeks to Namibia as my second camera which I'll us for landscapes, wide angle, walk around stuff, and my 7DM2 and 100-400 will be for wildlife, birds. I like the M5 because the menus are familiar and you can pick it up and generally figure it out. I have an Oly (OMD EM5) that I bought and sent for IR conversion and I can tell you that their menus were devised by someone who has never used a camera and has no idea what the functions do and seem to be stored in a random way down menu trails--good luck ;) The manual is no help and it takes reading blogs and reviews to find out how to work the damn thing! It's a great little camera otherwise, but I'd rather stab myself in the eye than try to do anything fast using that clunky menu. Takes great IR pictures though and has lots of neat little lenses. I don't shoot video with any of my cameras so I can't comment there.
Good luck,
Catherine
Catherine,
Very interested to hear how the M5 works for you in Namibia. I am considering it as a second body for a trip to Zambia and Madagascar in Nov - both as a lightweight walk around option but also as a second body on safari. I don't have a big budget so for me it's basically a choice between getting a 100 macro lense for the little critters in Madagascar and chancing it with one body (1dxii) or spending a bit more and buying the M5 with adapter. I have been to Africa several times and know that swapping lenses on the go can be a real challenge.
I know you say you don't plan using the M5 for wildlife, and appreciate that it isn't designed as an action camera, but interested just the same in your view as to whether it could serve as a second body, at least for the less challenging shots. In Zambia a lot of the animal photo opportunities are in good light and, if not still subjects, then at least not fast moving. If I can switch between one body with the 100-400 and one with the 300 with or without extender, then that's my preferred method of shooting. I should add that I prefer the small form factor of the M5 over the 80D as a walk around/second body.
Cheers,
Phillip

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

jolyonralph said:
dak723 said:
Seriously flawed???

Some of the problems are minor. The record button, the nose-on-the-touchscreen etc, because those can be dealt with easily.

I spent a long time working with the camera before writing this article. I didn't want it just to be a "I don't know how to use it properly" complaint. And I wanted to see if I could get used to the layout (after all, it is different to the M3 layout I was used to.) I also spoke with other users who, in general, agreed with my complaints.

I appreciate the time you've spent and the efforts you have made. I did not mean to belittle your efforts. What I think you are missing is that you are making many definitive statements - and they are just your opinion. And yes, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you seem to assume that your criticisms are mistakes - when they may be nothing of the sort.

Are these "serious flaws?". There are two ways to look at it. Firstly, how it affects us individually. And secondly how it affects the quality of the camera compared to the competition.

I've explained how it has affected me. I have ruined photos because the ISO got messed up. I feel that I'm going to suffer from an RSI attack every time I try to preview photos in the viewfinder. And that's if I can see them at all because of the inadequate rubber surround.

Again, the ISO issue is solved by turning off the default button on the dial. You can use the dual function button instead. Perhaps the viewfinder surround is an issue, but we have not had much sunny weather here since I bought the M5, so it is not something I have noticed!

I find it disappointing that there are so many reasons that this camera should be excellent, but it is let down by some silly mistakes that should have been picked up and fixed in field testing of the camera prototypes.

To me, that I regard as a serious problem. And for Canon? Maybe for them they are lucky that 99% of people don't really think about the ergonomics of a camera's button positions before they make a purchase. Because the competition do seem to understand how to do this a lot better than Canon do.

In my experience, the button positions and ergonomics are far superior to either the Olympus 4/3rd cameras or the Sony A7II. Perhaps there is other competition that does a better job, but I have yet to see it - in my opinion. So it is hard to call this a mistake. It seems to be personal preference. You seem to be ignoring the fact that this is a very small camera. If you need more room for the button layout, then this camera may not be for you. That does not make it a mistake.

And yes, this camera has some amazing technology inside it and can, as I said, produce absolutely incredible photos. I'm going to persevere with it, hopefully Canon will add the ability to disable/move the menu button in a future firmware update, or perhaps adding some kind of external leather half-case will improve this (although I've avoided that so far because I think that will make the finger stretch needed to do the image preview even more painful.)

You may have a point about the menu button, since you are hitting it by mistake. Again, where would you put it based on the size of the camera? I personally have never hit it accidentally, but that doesn't mean it is not an issue for others.

I do actually love the M5 more than I hate it. But if we don't complain about the things that are wrong Canon won't know that we're not happy...

Complaining on this forum will mean nothing. You do realize that this forum is not in any way associated with Canon. You can contact Canon customer support. Have you done so. That would be meaningful. Bringing up the menu button issue and suggesting a way via a firmware update for it to be disabled during shooting would be a good idea. I am sure they would appreciate your feedback for any other suggestions (not complaints) as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

jolyonralph said:
A fair point. They do cover most bases with the options they already have. But they don't have any fast zooms, they don't have any primes > 28mm. The competition does.

And, sad to say, the competition in the MILC field are generally doing much better than Canon, who are playing catch-up. Would I recommend an EOS M5 to someone looking for their first camera to upgrade from phone photos? Probably not.

It depends on what one is looking for.

I have been thinking about this recently. The competition you mention above probably refers to the micro four-third family and the Fujifilm x-mount. I don't consider Sony E-mount (APS-C) to be any competition 'cos their lens line-up is pretty poor.

For my requirements, I need (i) ultrawide zoom lens (FOV >= 16 mm on FF sensor) with ability to mount filters (ii) lightweight wide zoom lens (iii) lightweight telephoto zoom lens (iv) fast (at least f/2) prime with same FOV as 35 or 50 mm on FF sensor (v) macro lens with same FOV as 150 mm on FF sensor.

Up till now, neither the micro four-third nor Fujifilm x-mount satisfies (v). Also, until the Leica 8-18 mm zoom lens gets released, the micro four-third line-up fails (i) too.

The native EF-M mount does not have the full range too, but at the very least, I can adapt EF or EF-S lenses to fulfill my requirements, complete with autofocus.

So, there is no single compelling winner.

Also, having owned and used the Oly OMD-EM5 for 1 year, I have to confess I am rather disappointed by their high ISO performance... regardless of what DPReview or DXOMark tells me. Finally, since I am very used to Adobe Lightroom in my workflow, I must be able to use Lightroom to process the RAW output from the camera without unwanted artifacts (e.g., Fujifilm RAW files).

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

dak723 said:
In my experience, the button positions and ergonomics are far superior to either the Olympus 4/3rd cameras or the Sony A7II. Perhaps there is other competition that does a better job, but I have yet to see it - in my opinion. So it is hard to call this a mistake. It seems to be personal preference. You seem to be ignoring the fact that this is a very small camera. If you need more room for the button layout, then this camera may not be for you. That does not make it a mistake.

Precisely.

I don't think anyone has to right to consider his preference as the best design choice.

I may feel a touchscreen is absolutely necessary on a MILC, but I am sure there are others who don't share the same preference.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010

I had a great full-day's test drive of the M5. My overall impression was that Canon have easily made their their best M yet by a wide margin. It felt solidly built, was dead-easy to get started with for anyone accustomed to Canon controls and menu structures, has a very decent EVF, is surprisingly responsive and pleasingly small. One APS-C body (7DII) is enough for me (+5DIV & 1DX) so I'm not rushing out to buy one, but will confidently recommend them to the many people who ask me what camera they should buy. Tellingly, it was plain good fun to use.

Only thing is, for a very compact APS-C body, I'd be sitting tight to see what the promised SL-2 brings to the table. We're spoiled for choice...

-pw

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014

dslrdummy said:
Catherine,
Very interested to hear how the M5 works for you in Namibia. I am considering it as a second body for a trip to Zambia and Madagascar in Nov - both as a lightweight walk around option but also as a second body on safari. I don't have a big budget so for me it's basically a choice between getting a 100 macro lense for the little critters in Madagascar and chancing it with one body (1dxii) or spending a bit more and buying the M5 with adapter. I have been to Africa several times and know that swapping lenses on the go can be a real challenge.
I know you say you don't plan using the M5 for wildlife, and appreciate that it isn't designed as an action camera, but interested just the same in your view as to whether it could serve as a second body, at least for the less challenging shots. In Zambia a lot of the animal photo opportunities are in good light and, if not still subjects, then at least not fast moving. If I can switch between one body with the 100-400 and one with the 300 with or without extender, then that's my preferred method of shooting. I should add that I prefer the small form factor of the M5 over the 80D as a walk around/second body.
Cheers,
Phillip
My plan for Namibia was to use the M5 for wide angle shots (24-105 with the adapter or the native 18-55) when I was at waterholes and keep the 100-400 on the 7DMK2. I understand from your message that you're planning to walk around with a heavy EF tele on it. If so, you need to support it by an attachment with a ring on the tripod foot of the tele or the adapter because the camera can't support the weight of the tele like the 7DMK2 and 1DxM2. That's a little bit of a hassle when using it as a b/u with a long EF lens. I took mine out to the water treatment plant today to try a few shots of some bird action just to see what I could get and I at least feel assured it will be OK for the usual portraits, standing/lying about, eating, walking animals. When we were in Madagascar a year ago so many of the lemurs were in the shade or up in the trees and severely backlit--it was a real photo challenge. Only got one shot of an Indiri. We're going to give it one more go this fall. These are the shots I took with the M5 this afternoon of an egret fishing for minnows--was trying to get him hitting the water. These are out of the camera--no crop, no processing just to let you see what I was able to get with the 100-400 on it.
Regards-
Catherine

Attachments

• Egret-1.jpg
    Egret-1.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 212
  • Egret-2.jpg
    Egret-2.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Egret-3.jpg
    Egret-3.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Egret-4.jpg
    Egret-4.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Egret-5.jpg
    Egret-5.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com

dslrdummy said:
digigal said:
Greatland--
I don't know about how well the Metabones adapter works with the Oly model and lens you want to use and what apertures but there seems to be a lot of limitations as to what Canon lenses and models of Oly cameras it will work with and what types of focusing it will allow. It's not "plug and play" like the Canon adapter is with the Canon lenses and M5. However, the M5 is somewhat "focus compromised" compared to some of the other top of the line mirrorless, but for some applications, it's great. I'll be taking one with me in a couple of weeks to Namibia as my second camera which I'll us for landscapes, wide angle, walk around stuff, and my 7DM2 and 100-400 will be for wildlife, birds. I like the M5 because the menus are familiar and you can pick it up and generally figure it out. I have an Oly (OMD EM5) that I bought and sent for IR conversion and I can tell you that their menus were devised by someone who has never used a camera and has no idea what the functions do and seem to be stored in a random way down menu trails--good luck ;) The manual is no help and it takes reading blogs and reviews to find out how to work the damn thing! It's a great little camera otherwise, but I'd rather stab myself in the eye than try to do anything fast using that clunky menu. Takes great IR pictures though and has lots of neat little lenses. I don't shoot video with any of my cameras so I can't comment there.
Good luck,
Catherine
Catherine,
Cheers,
Phillip
My M5 travelled to California, Switzerland and China. The experience is still exciting I must say. Going on Safari: Keep the 100-400 on the 7D2! Just because of weather sealing. But for the street stuff the M5 is perfect. I was in Tanzania 2 years back with the 5D2 and 7D (the 7D2 was introduced later) as well as the Lumix GM1 for street stuff: This is great. But the M5 is great for that purpose, too. For me: I could sell my µ43 stuff - if my daughter would not use it for video....

And do not forget: the M5 can do wildlife, too....

Upvote 0

Woody said:
It depends on what one is looking for.

I have been thinking about this recently. The competition you mention above probably refers to the micro four-third family and the Fujifilm x-mount. I don't consider Sony E-mount (APS-C) to be any competition 'cos their lens line-up is pretty poor.

For my requirements, I need (i) ultrawide zoom lens (FOV >= 16 mm on FF sensor) with ability to mount filters (ii) lightweight wide zoom lens (iii) lightweight telephoto zoom lens (iv) fast (at least f/2) prime with same FOV as 35 or 50 mm on FF sensor (v) macro lens with same FOV as 150 mm on FF sensor.

Up till now, neither the micro four-third nor Fujifilm x-mount satisfies (v). Also, until the Leica 8-18 mm zoom lens gets released, the micro four-third line-up fails (i) too.
As an existing m43 user I would think you would be aware of Olympus 7-14mm PRO zoom so your (i) is covered unless you must have screw-on filters as opposed to alternative filter mounts. As to point (v), the Oly 60mm Macro comes close; but, also consider the 40-150 PRO zoom which has outstanding MFD. Add the 1.4 extender and it is likely all you need to satisfy (v). Both the E-M5 Mark II and the E-M1 Mark II offer significant advancement over the several year old E-M5. But, they are still m43.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

Greatland said:
I truly appreciate your comments. I really don't think that I can improve on the capabilities of the 1DX but as we all know it is a damned heavy camera, and when I hook it up to my 200-400 or 600 it is real damned heavy. I am intrigued with the IS that is built into the body of the M5 and since I am interested in using it for video, mostly, it seemed like a good fit. I do take video with my 1DX but once again it is a bulky and heavy camera and sometimes it just isn't practical as I am usually out in the boonies shooting wildlife, or in some other confined place like a small plane, or small watercraft. So I guess that I am looking for something to shoot video with that is light, easy to handle, with familiar characteristics, unlike the Olympus or Sony, and that I can use my other Canon lenses with. Does this make sense??

Yes, though if you'll be using your 200-400 and 600, you'll probably find that the weight loss is relatively minor and doesn't outweigh (as it were) the ergonomic disadvantage of attaching big lenses to tiny cameras. Or isn't that what you plan to use? As for the rest, I have Canon + Olympus m43 + Sony A7rII/s. I've not tried using Canon EF lenses on my Olympus (don't see the point, since their native lenses are so small and often superb), but I have used them on my Sony bodies via Metabones and Sigma adapters and suspect that you would find the AF experience frustrating, at least if you do much action photography, let alone herons-catching-fish. I've not used an M5, but I would expect/hope that it's better. Besides, good adapters aren't cheap, and they aren't weightless. (For the $400 it costs to buy a standard Metabones adapter, not to mention the $650 it costs for one of their speedbooster adapters, you could buy an SL1 or a Rebel!)

And as a side-note, related to complaints elsewhere re Sigma AF accuracy/consistency, to see what all the fuss was about I recently rented the Sigma 85 Art and Sigma's EF-Sony adapter. Attempting nothing but still shots, I found the lens's (in)accuracy rate, whether attached to my 6D or A7rII via the Sigma adapter, to be completely unacceptable (fortunately it works well as a manual lens, but...). Just for kicks I then attached my Canon EF 85 1.8 to the A7rII via the Sigma adapter, obtaining an accuracy rate of near 100%. Go figure....

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

sdsr said:
And as a side-note, related to complaints elsewhere re Sigma AF accuracy/consistency, to see what all the fuss was about I recently rented the Sigma 85 Art and Sigma's EF-Sony adapter. Attempting nothing but still shots, I found the lens's (in)accuracy rate, whether attached to my 6D or A7rII via the Sigma adapter, to be completely unacceptable (fortunately it works well as a manual lens, but...). Just for kicks I then attached my Canon EF 85 1.8 to the A7rII via the Sigma adapter, obtaining an accuracy rate of near 100%. Go figure....

Another confirmation of how poor Sigma's AF accuracy is.

Upvote 0