JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
Re: EOS M5: A damend good camera!

Woody said:
sdsr said:
And as a side-note, related to complaints elsewhere re Sigma AF accuracy/consistency, to see what all the fuss was about I recently rented the Sigma 85 Art and Sigma's EF-Sony adapter. Attempting nothing but still shots, I found the lens's (in)accuracy rate, whether attached to my 6D or A7rII via the Sigma adapter, to be completely unacceptable (fortunately it works well as a manual lens, but...). Just for kicks I then attached my Canon EF 85 1.8 to the A7rII via the Sigma adapter, obtaining an accuracy rate of near 100%. Go figure....

Another confirmation of how poor Sigma's AF accuracy is.

I prefer ZEISS manual focus lenses over SIGMA Autofocus. This is by far more accurate.... Especially on the M5...

Upvote 0
Pocket Wizards only have worked on the EOS M series in standard trigger mode. No ETTL, No Hypersync, etc.
This is fine if using the Pocket Wizard Plus 3, or Pocket Wizard Plus X, but you need to change the settings on the Flex TT1 or Flex TT5 using Pocket Wizard utility app on your PC/Mac.

Basically for Manual usage they work fine, but max shutter speed will only be max sync speed of the camera.

privatebydesign said:
digigal said:
Question: Does anyone know if the Pocket Wizard works with the M5?
Thanks,
Catherine

Any reason to think they wouldn't?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
eosuser1234 said:
Pocket Wizards only have worked on the EOS M series in standard trigger mode. No ETTL, No Hypersync, etc.
This is fine if using the Pocket Wizard Plus 3, or Pocket Wizard Plus X, but you need to change the settings on the Flex TT1 or Flex TT5 using Pocket Wizard utility app on your PC/Mac.

Basically for Manual usage they work fine, but max shutter speed will only be max sync speed of the camera.

privatebydesign said:
digigal said:
Thanks,
Catherine

Is anybody stupid or masochistic enough to still be trying to use that awful, unreliable and expensive Flex system?

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
eosuser1234 said:

privatebydesign said:
digigal said:
Thanks,
Catherine

Thanks. Will be using the M5 as a backup for some night shoots at waterholes in Namibia.

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
One interesting experience I made 2 days ago in the Panasonic Center in Tokyo. There was the GH5 equipped with the Leica 100-400mm Zoom. And there was a railway scaled model in front of it. I tested a bit the follow focus with the moving locomotives. I could not get one sharp image!

But my M5 behaved much better using the EF 100mm f2.8 L IS USM....

For me: DualPixel AF is just great!

Upvote 0
I am almost exclusively a street photographer. I've taken the M5 with the EF-40mm pancake out the last two trips and have been extremely pleased with the image quality. The 64mm full-frame equivalent is a bit long for me (I prefer 50mm on my 5D3) but can do until Canon decides to produce a 32mm M-lens (hopefully soon).

Ed

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
Ed V said:
I am almost exclusively a street photographer. I've taken the M5 with the EF-40mm pancake out the last two trips and have been extremely pleased with the image quality. The 64mm full-frame equivalent is a bit long for me (I prefer 50mm on my 5D3) but can do until Canon decides to produce a 32mm M-lens (hopefully soon).

Ed

Thx. this just fits with my experience. In street photography the camera is close to perfect. You might have 2 options without waiting: the 22mm works for me perfectly. and the 28mm should work, to. And hopefully Sigma releases its APS-C f2.8 Art Primes.. like the 30mm f2.8...

Upvote 0
JoFT said:
Ed V said:

Ed

Thx. this just fits with my experience. In street photography the camera is close to perfect. You might have 2 options without waiting: the 22mm works for me perfectly. and the 28mm should work, to. And hopefully Sigma releases its APS-C f2.8 Art Primes.. like the 30mm f2.8...

+1 to this. I think the 28mm M macro is a really nice walkaround lens, on a par with the 22mm (except for the aperture), near enough to 50mm full frame equivalent and with IS too. Pity it's not F2, or even 2.8.

Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
just got my M5. Almost sent it back since I couldn't see a dang thing through the EVF, then discovered you can change a diopter thingy to focus better. I can't see closeup w/o wearing glasses, so the back screen is out of focus, but now I can use the EVF. So far I love it, but then, it's a big step up for me.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
When I'm turning the top left wheel to quickly swap from M to Av mode for example, then there's always an info appearing on my screen, that shows me which shooting mode I am currently using for about ~2 sec. I cannot make any changes to aperture or ISO settings in that time, which is kind of annoying. I have turned off "hints & tips" in the menu, but that does not help. Is there any solution? If not, this has to be fixed in a future firmware upgrade...

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
Crosswind said:
When I'm turning the top left wheel to quickly swap from M to Av mode for example, then there's always an info appearing on my screen, that shows me which shooting mode I am currently using for about ~2 sec. I cannot make any changes to aperture or ISO settings in that time, which is kind of annoying. I have turned off "hints & tips" in the menu, but that does not help. Is there any solution? If not, this has to be fixed in a future firmware upgrade...

Mine reacts typically pretty shot. it changes as soon as I turn one of the wheels...
How long is the time set for showing images after shooting.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
JoFT said:

I've set it so zero seconds. But that should not have anything to do with the issue.

In the 1.) picture below you can see the temporary screen (in german language) and what it shows for about 2 sec. when switching between shooting modes (M -> Av -> Tv -> ...). In these ~2 seconds I cannot do anything (like change aperture or ISO setting). I basically have to wait to be able to make any changes until I see the display info (2.)).

That's annyoing in a situation when you have to quickly swap from one shooting mode to another. I'm mostly into landscapes, so it's only a minor issue, but still... I thought it's worth mentioning.

edit: OK, I've found kind of a workaround (reduces the "waiting time"); turning the shooting mode dial, and then immediately after touching the Q-set button. This way the temporary screen goes away noticeably quicker. But it is still an unnecessary thing.

Attachments

• 1.) m5 screen when switching between M,Av,Tv modes.jpg
    1.) m5 screen when switching between M,Av,Tv modes.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 2.) M5 in M mode, now ready to shoot.jpg
    2.) M5 in M mode, now ready to shoot.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
Crosswind said:
JoFT said:

I've set it so zero seconds. But that should not have anything to do with the issue.

In the 1.) picture below you can see the temporary screen (in german language) and what it shows for about 2 sec. when switching between shooting modes (M -> Av -> Tv -> ...). In these ~2 seconds I cannot do anything (like change aperture or ISO setting). I basically have to wait to be able to make any changes until I see the display info (2.)).

That's annyoing in a situation when you have to quickly swap from one shooting mode to another. I'm mostly into landscapes, so it's only a minor issue, but still... I thought it's worth mentioning.

edit: OK, I've found kind of a workaround (reduces the "waiting time"); turning the shooting mode dial, and then immediately after touching the Q-set button. This way the temporary screen goes away noticeably quicker. But it is still an unnecessary thing.

I checked this again. Mine reaction in a couple of 1/10s... Did you try to press the shutter button half way down? that was much faster....

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Crosswind said:
Yeah pressing down the shutter button half way it goes away a bit faster (same as with the QSET button), but still feels awkward. I wish that this screen could be disabled completely. I don't need the info on the screen that shows into what shooting mode I've just switched.

Have you contacted Canon's customer support? They may know if it can be disabled - and if not - might welcome your feedback.

Upvote 0

leadin2

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2017
Singapore
Crosswind said:
Yeah pressing down the shutter button half way it goes away a bit faster (same as with the QSET button), but still feels awkward. I wish that this screen could be disabled completely. I don't need the info on the screen that shows into what shooting mode I've just switched.

I think it is the way Canon does it, similar to the G5X software. Didn't feel the pause all along because most of the time my natural reaction is to half press the shutter button, ready for my next shot. After you have mentioned and that I have tested it again, it does feel awkward now.

Upvote 0

leadin2

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2017
Singapore
So I bought a M6 (not M5) today. Wrong thread, I know.

Tried to upload the images from my camera to computer through WIFI but couldn't find the "PC/Terminal" icon in the "Upload to Web service". After some search, I found these related chats.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4093169
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4092458

Has any M5 owner tried the WIFI upload function?

Upvote 0

leadin2

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2017
Singapore
Re: EOS M5: A damend good camera!

jolyonralph said:
And it's a real shame that no Canon camera has the feature that the Sony cameras do that you can charge the battery inside the camera when the USB cable is connected to a power source or a computer. Very handy for charging the camera in the car etc.

The Canon G series (G5X and likely G7X) do have USB charging. Similar to M5/M6, their box set comes with battery charger but not USB cable. Kind of weird.

Upvote 0