Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
AvTvM said:
dcm said:
neuroanatomist said:
dcm said:
Dashpoint 30 holds M5 with 22 or 28 just fine. It's a tight squeeze for the M5 and 11-22 or 18-55 with hoods off/reversed (lens down). I can get the zipper closed but its not really that usable in my opinion. Forget it with the hoods in shooting position.

Thanks for the info!

The M5 with any EF-M lens, including 18-150 or 55-200, fits the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10 with room to spare. You can wear it on a belt or use the shoulder strap or drop it in your pack.

The M5/adapter with EF 40 or 50 STM also has plenty of room in the MM10. The EF 85 was just a hair too long anyone interested in what other adapted lenses might fit.

thanks for the info! size and shape of M5 and subsequently carrying options in the field are a good part of my considerations whether to buy this camera or not.

i got bags similar in size and layout to thinktank MM10/MM20. they are good and useful on city trips and short, dedicated photo walks, but not for my mountaineering/backcountry use. i want to carry camera plus 1 zoom lens attached ready for immediate shooting at all times, not in pack. non-zipped dashpoints on backpack shoulderstrap work perfectly for me.

clugdy M5 hump is a pita ...

Agreed. I use the TT MM 10/20 around town or in my pack depending on what I'm carrying. I use Gura Gear inserts in my pack if I need more space. I prefer the Peak Design Capture Pro on my pack strap for quick access. I never really got into the dashpoints and use them mostly for storage.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I have the Dashpoint 30 bag and use it to carry my M10 (and M when I had it). Here's the thing: The M10 can fit in there with ANY EF-M lens attached, even the 55-200 (although that is a tight squeeze and requires repositioning of the strap, the bag still zips though).

I had the same question as AvTvM, so I took my bag to the store and tried to see if either the M3 or M5 could fit. Although the M3 was OK (except with the 55-200, where it just barely fit, and that was with no strap), the M5 was really tight due to the EVF hump. Even with the compact 15-45, the M5 was a very tight squeeze. The 18-150 or 55-200 with the M5 would require a larger bag. Perhaps even with the M3 as well, although I was unable to verify - I know the strap adds extra bulk so not sure if it would fit with that attached?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

troy19 said:
Yes, magnification and focus peaking works both with EVF and tilt screen. These tools are a joy to use. I.e. you can touch focus at an outer focus point on the screen, half press the shutter and then turn the lens focus ring and the 5x magnifcation and focus peaking automatically starts. This is so great, I never could focus this reliable before. I'm very impressed (But that may be because it's my first mirrorless).

Well, focus rings on EF-M lenses are very small, but at least they are all at the same position (ref. to 11-22, 18-150 anf 28 macro), that means right at the front of the lens, so you can reach MF without problem, even when looking through EVF.

I want to add 2 notes here:
1. Magnification (5x or 10x) is chosen dependent on which magnification you set the last time when you were using it manually.
2. half pressing the shutter button and turning the lens focus ring does only switch to the magnification automatically with STM lenses.
I just tested this with the following lenses:
LensAuto Magnification
Samyang 8 f2.8 Fisheye M-Mount No
EF-M 11-22Yes
EF-M 22Yes
EF-M 18-55Yes
EF 40 f2.8 STMYes
EF 50 f1.4 USMNo
EF-S 60 Macro USMNo
EF 85 f1.8 USMNo
EF 100 L f2.8 Macro USMNo
EF-S 55-250 IS STMYes

best regards
Frank

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
I got the M5 ;D I managed to get the 15-45mm kit with the EF adapter for only $1367 AUD which was cheaper than the body alone at most places. This is not a grey camera either so I'm really happy.

So a little over 24 hours with the camera and I haven't got to shoot with it much, but I'm already madly in love with it!!!

EVF – The evf is definitely oversaturated which will take some time to get used to (still hoping it's able to be changed with a patch firmware update), although I don't mind it. In ways I still prefer an OVF but I know in certain situations the EVF will definitely have its benefits.

Autofocus – This was one of the main reasons I wanted this body and it doesn't disappoint. The tracking helps me when shooting wide open since I'm quite unsteady. The only thing I need to figure out is how to get BBF working on this body.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
dlee13 said:
I got the M5 ;D I managed to get the 15-45mm kit with the EF adapter for only $1367 AUD which was cheaper than the body alone at most places. This is not a grey camera either so I'm really happy.

So a little over 24 hours with the camera and I haven't got to shoot with it much, but I'm already madly in love with it!!!

EVF – The evf is definitely oversaturated which will take some time to get used to (still hoping it's able to be changed with a patch firmware update), although I don't mind it. In ways I still prefer an OVF but I know in certain situations the EVF will definitely have its benefits.

Autofocus – This was one of the main reasons I wanted this body and it doesn't disappoint. The tracking helps me when shooting wide open since I'm quite unsteady. The only thing I need to figure out is how to get BBF working on this body.
Yeah I saw that Michaels in Melb had it at that price. Good deal well done. Hoping it will drop a bit later in the year. Thinking of it as a back up on my next trip. Interested to hear your further thoughts once you have played with it a bit.

Upvote 0

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
Photorex said:
I want to add 2 notes here:
1. Magnification (5x or 10x) is chosen dependent on which magnification you set the last time when you were using it manually.
2. half pressing the shutter button and turning the lens focus ring does only switch to the magnification automatically with STM lenses.
I just tested this with the following lenses:
LensAuto Magnification
Samyang 8 f2.8 Fisheye M-Mount No
EF-M 11-22Yes
EF-M 22Yes
EF-M 18-55Yes
EF 40 f2.8 STMYes
EF 50 f1.4 USMNo
EF-S 60 Macro USMNo
EF 85 f1.8 USMNo
EF 100 L f2.8 Macro USMNo
EF-S 55-250 IS STMYes

best regards
Frank

Hi Frank
This is very interesting. I studied the manual (see attached page 81) on the AF+MF function and it left me with the understanding that ONLY EFM lenses would work. However you had success with a STM EFS and a STM EF lens. Left to wonder how consistent this functionality will be with different lenses? I am interested in the M5 but will be a lot more interested if AF+MF works with more of my existing lenses.
Thanks

Attachments

• page 81.png
    page 81.png
    88 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
dslrdummy said:
dlee13 said:

Yeah I saw that Michaels in Melb had it at that price. Good deal well done. Hoping it will drop a bit later in the year. Thinking of it as a back up on my next trip. Interested to hear your further thoughts once you have played with it a bit.

Here are some more shots from me playing around with the M5

32012606101_9fc7c4151c_b.jpg

32012599651_185b8a525b_b.jpg

31290114284_df54d12e16_b.jpg

32012617471_fe0d241d25_b.jpg

32012613151_96fc223fe6_b.jpg

So far my experience with the M5 is still all positive. Although the EF lenses perform great and almost like native, I like the EF-M lenses better as I can use them with continues focus which helps for shooting close up portraits wide open. When trying to use my EF lenses, the Canon 35mm f2 IS performs well on the M5, although it can be quite annoying if you leave continuous AF on. I find it just keeps focusing at long distances and is quite noisy were as the EF-M lenses are practically silent.
The IQ is really great, the highest I've shot at is ISO 4000 and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. It wasn't as clean as my 6D, but for a crop sensor it was definitely impressive.

Upvote 0
Re: M5: 2-3 seconds shutter delay in dark scenes (with manual flash and focus)

This is what you are missing. The volume of the 80D, according to the dimensions listed, is 1.84x greater than that of the M5, which is what is usually described as 84% larger. So, when someone says that x is 84% larger than y, it means that x is 1.84 times greater than y, or 1.84 ys will fit into the volume of 1 x.

Unfortunately, percentages are very frequently used in a misleading way to overstate differences.

Trying not to be an arse here but this is kinda' one of my pet hates (along with Americans not realising "could care less" means the absolute opposite of what they're trying to communicate) ...and you do seem quite into technicalities yourself sooo:

84% greater = 1.84x "the size of"
1.84x "greater than" = 184% greater = 2.84x "the size of"

2 x "greater" = 3 x "the size of"

Sorry ;)

I've seen similar things on educational websites, miscommunicating the size of astrological bodies and units... Bad internets! Bad physicists!

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
BasXcanon said:
Even the Angry Photographer likes the touchscreen of the Eos M5!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCvrN73LpE

With a viewing figure in the single digits it appears nobody cares what he has to say, current view count is at 6, why would anybody subject themselves to his 'opinions'?

Apparantly out of curiosity, since you took a peek.
He is almost in the triple digits now.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Re: M5: 2-3 seconds shutter delay in dark scenes (with manual flash and focus)

Khufu said:
This is what you are missing. The volume of the 80D, according to the dimensions listed, is 1.84x greater than that of the M5, which is what is usually described as 84% larger. So, when someone says that x is 84% larger than y, it means that x is 1.84 times greater than y, or 1.84 ys will fit into the volume of 1 x.

Unfortunately, percentages are very frequently used in a misleading way to overstate differences.

Trying not to be an arse here but this is kinda' one of my pet hates (along with Americans not realising "could care less" means the absolute opposite of what they're trying to communicate) ...and you do seem quite into technicalities yourself sooo:

84% greater = 1.84x "the size of"
1.84x "greater than" = 184% greater = 2.84x "the size of"

2 x "greater" = 3 x "the size of"

Sorry ;)

I've seen similar things on educational websites, miscommunicating the size of astrological bodies and units... Bad internets! Bad physicists!

Technically, you are correct. But, overwhelmingly, as much as it grates, "times greater" is used to mean the same as "times as great". Scanlon http://www.jpscanlan.com/vignettes/timeshigherissues.html has analysed the frequency of the "incorrect" usage of "times greater" relative to the "correct" "times as great". Even in scientific journals, the "incorrect" usage predominates. For example, pointedly, in that esteemed journal The Lancet, the "incorrect" usage is 35 times more frequent. So, I am afraid, arsedom is thrust under you in the popular parlance stakes and the illiterates are in the ascendancy.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm seeing one of two things:

A. Nothing but subpar reviews in the first few days/weeks, then a swelling of positive even glowing reviews start to bubble forth.

B. There are an even number of good and bad reviews (like for anything) and YMMV.

I tend to lean towards A. Experience and patience (like for anything) lends more to the truth than knee jerk reactions.

Attachments

• 74620790.jpg
    74620790.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,259
Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
slclick said:

A. Nothing but subpar reviews in the first few days/weeks, then a swelling of positive even glowing reviews start to bubble forth.

B. There are an even number of good and bad reviews (like for anything) and YMMV.

I tend to lean towards A. Experience and patience (like for anything) lends more to the truth than knee jerk reactions.

I would go with A for sure. On paper the M5 may not seem that great but once you use it, it's hard not to fall in love with it. I've had mine for a week and I struggle to find anything I don't like about the body itself.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Yes, but what about the complaint over shutter lag, specifically with flash in low light? Of course, if you don't do that kind of work (or shooting), then it's a non-factor, but for those that even occasionally find themselves in such a situation, that's something bound to be noticed...

My M10 has that lag too. But now that I think about it, I've never actually used it in a real-world ultra-low-light situation where I had to use flash (probably due to my being aware of this limitation). I go with the bulkier, heavier option (DSLR).

I would have hoped that the M5, being larger and more expensive than the M10, would be better, but I guess not.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
dlee13 said:
slclick said:

I would go with A for sure. On paper the M5 may not seem that great but once you use it, it's hard not to fall in love with it. I've had mine for a week and I struggle to find anything I don't like about the body itself.

Since I cannot find one in the area where I live, can you tell me if it's anything like the GX5 for large hands (meaning it's is not a good idea) or does the ergonomics lend for larger hands to still feel comfortable. fwiw, I use a 5D3 with an L plate. It feels right.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Act444 said:
Yes, but what about the complaint over shutter lag, specifically with flash in low light? Of course, if you don't do that kind of work (or shooting), then it's a non-factor, but for those that even occasionally find themselves in such a situation, that's something bound to be noticed...

My M10 has that lag too. But now that I think about it, I've never actually used it in a real-world ultra-low-light situation where I had to use flash (probably due to my being aware of this limitation). I go with the bulkier, heavier option (DSLR).

I would have hoped that the M5, being larger and more expensive than the M10, would be better, but I guess not.

I haven't experienced any shutter lag yet, but I also haven't shot in low light with flash. Is this using the on camera flash or with off camera? Do you know if this issue happens with both MF and AF? Although I love the IQ and AF on the M5, if I do need to do any flash work in low light I would still be using my 6D.

The main lag that annoys me is reviewing images. It's always several seconds for the camera to load and preview the images compared to my 6D. This is the same on my M3 and annoying, but definitely not a dealbreaker.

I did hate the saturation of the EVF at first but I've become used to it now.

slclick said:
dlee13 said:
slclick said:

Since I cannot find one in the area where I live, can you tell me if it's anything like the GX5 for large hands (meaning it's is not a good idea) or does the ergonomics lend for larger hands to still feel comfortable. fwiw, I use a 5D3 with an L plate. It feels right.

Yeah it's very similar in size to the GX5 and feels good in the hand. I have fairly large hands but don't feel like it's too small for me. It is certainly light though, I carry it everywhere now with the 22mm f2 attached.

Upvote 0