EOS R hot pixels on long exposures

I find that when taking long exposures with my EOS R (anything from 30 secs to 4 minutes +) I get a lot more hot pixels than i ever did with my 6D MKII.

I appreciate that opening the RAWs in Photoshop or Lightroom removes the majority of them but still a nuisance. I wonder if this happens because mirrorless camera sensors heat up more than those on a dslr due to the focus method?

Sometimes you get a sensor with too many of them. Its one of the things that a person might want to check so he can return it.

Post your settings and I'll try to duplicate them, I'm curious.

Have you tried mapping them out?

I've had the EOS R for a year or more so too late to return it and I didn't notice it until recently. However, possible because I've recently got a 27" 4K monitor so more easy to spot them! I'll have to look back on some long exposure's from my 6D MKII RAWs to see what they're like.

The settings I got the worst hot pixels on the other evening were ISO400, F16 on 3 or 4 minute exposures of a dark scene. A 30 sec exposure at iso 100 was much better with only a few hot pixels only visible at 100% and all were removed when opened in Photoshop ... I'm possibly being too picky ;)

I've not tried mapping them out; excuse my ignorance but how would i do that? I thought hot pixels appeared in different places anyway?

Not too bothered as I was expecting at some stage to trade it in for an R5 but waiting for real world reviews first!

Upvote 0
I had some hot pixels on my EOS R and after contacting canon about it, they advised me to send the camera in and have them mapped out through 'pixel compensation'. Mine might be a different case though as I had 3 or 4 that always appeared in the exact same spots... yours are different every time?

Mine will appear in the same place on a shoot but the next time I take some long exposures may be in a different place. I get a lot more than 3 or 4 but only on quite long exposures, not in regular shooting.

Upvote 0