EOS R vs EOS R8

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and am looking to purchase my first camera. I have been considering the EOS R and preordering the EOS R8. Could you please advise on the benefits of each and which you would recommend for someone looking for a camera to use primarily for scenery and car photos? Is the EOS R getting out of date? I know it’s been out since 2018.

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The EOS R is an excellent camera, and I've used one very happily since it was released in 2018. Technologically, it is a little dated - the sensor was reused from the (very good) 5D IV. The EOS R has a better EVF than the (cut-price) R8, but the image quality (even from a 32 MP sensor) is inferior to the R8, and the R8 AF is in an entirely different league.

Bryan Carnathan at The Digital Picture does a lengthy review of the R8, and specifically compares it to the EOS R:
and comes down very much in favour of the R8.

It may also depend on where you are located, and relative prices of the two. Either way, you're going to get an excellent camera!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I think @koenkooi and @Jethro pointed out the main decission criteria:
Battery life vs. AF performance.

Maybe the size of the R8 could be another point:
Some say that this RP form factor is too small for them.
Others love it for its portability and as travel Cam.

My advice:
Go to a shop and get your hands on both (When available) or an RP of no R8 at hand.
Think, which you prefer…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0