Eye-controlled AF is coming to more EOS R cameras, but you’ll have to be patient

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In a recent interview by DPReview with Canon folks at CP+ last month, they touch on all things Canon mirrorless and a few tidbits of what’s coming in the future. One of the more interesting bits of information is in regards to eye-controlled autofocus that we have in the Canon EOS R3. According to Canon,

See full article...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
No thanks, I tried it and turned it off right away. Just way too distracting. You have your focus cursor which you can move around and then you have a second circular cursor from the eye control bouncing around. So distracting. Just so unnecessary , they should bring the swipe-able AF-On button to the R5 Mark II instead.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
No experience either, but I wonder how they solve it when I look at the settings while shooting.

Often I don't look at the subject but at the edge of the picture to make a good frame, or what's happening around the subject then it shouldn't focus.
I wonder about that as well. Perhaps it is possible to stare/look at a spot and lock that as the focus point by half-pressing the shutter button or pressed a customised button akin to back-button focusing? Whateve the case it may be, I imagine the software would improve over time and become more intuitive. It therefore makes sense to spread this feature to other bodies so that Canon can field test it more extensively to accelerate the pace of its development.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
On R3, as far as I used it, I found eye-AF to be quite practical and easy... as long as you don't wear glasses.
It could be tricky to make it work correctly depending on the correction and form factor of your glasses, and it could be more felt as a distraction than a real help.
So, unless they really make it much better for this use case, it may not be a part of a buying decision for many.

However, I've no doubt Canon will keep on improving their AF system itself, even though it is already very efficient in most of the situations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder about that as well. Perhaps it is possible to stare/look at a spot and lock that as the focus point by half-pressing the shutter button or pressed a customised button akin to back-button focusing? Whateve the case it may be, I imagine the software would improve over time and become more intuitive. It therefore makes sense to spread this feature to other bodies so that Canon can field test it more extensively to accelerate the pace of its development.
The eye control AF in the R3 does not replace the tracking autofocus. You just set the starting point of the tracking by looking at it and then let the camera do its job. It is just a tool to quickly change between different subjects. So looking down at your settings is not interfering with the tracking (unless you initiate tracking again).

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
No thanks, I tried it and turned it off right away. Just way too distracting. You have your focus cursor which you can move around and then you have a second circular cursor from the eye control bouncing around. So distracting. Just so unnecessary , they should bring the swipe-able AF-On button to the R5 Mark II instead.
I persevered for a while, but turned it off recently - 80% of the time it was good, but the other 20% was just hard work and made me lose plenty of shots. I'm a glasses wearer, and I think it struggled with working out where I was looking under certain lighting conditions. It was better than the old EOS 3 film camera which also had this feature though!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Very good news for me, that's what I've been waiting for.
Thumb activated focus-point definition doesn't work for me, thumb, index and middle finger "suffer" from a reduced sensitivity after spinal hernia. And, since I'm a left-eye shooter, I can't easily use back-screen for focusing.
So, eye-control warmly welcome!

Upvote 0
I remember having eye controlled focus many years ago on the EOS 50E - an AF film camera. It was quite clever but with the excellent tracking of the R5 I really don't think I'd need it anymore. I suspect it will only come to future models and probably won't be so effective for people like me who now wear varifocal glasses!

Upvote 0