Faster Culling/Sorting/Viewing, etc.

I must wade through 1000's of images a year. While I am an amateur, I seem to work at photography more than some pros. (At least in volume and time spent, I never charge anything.) Since 2009 I have over 25K images on my zenfolio site. Consider that number is only a net percentage of all the shots actually taken and worked with, and the gross total quantity is a bit staggering.

I have used Lightroom since 2009 to do 99% of my post work. From viewing, sorting and processing, LR did the trick. But a few months ago, I started looking for and evaluating better software for the grueling first step: culling and sorting the images for keepers, rejects, etc. As most of you probably know, LR is excruciatingly slow at rendering the previews which literally adds hours of time to getting through the initial piles of images finding the best shots.

Without spending too much time on this post, I wanted to share a small program that I found which is very useful for this purpose and is currently being actively improved, developed and sold for a very low price. There are many available choices out there costing from Free to $150 or more, just to accomplish this task of faster culling. (I kept hoping Adobe would improve the Library module in Lightroom but after all these years, still nada.)

I tossed out a lot of apps fairly quickly because they usually focused on being viewers, not culling apps with the ability to efficiently do what I needed. Efficiency is key. The first app I really liked was Photo Mechanic 5. It's mature and well respected and it works great. But at $150, it costs more than Lightroom itself and I just couldn't justify spending that much money just to have faster image previews. Photo Mechanic's other huge benefit is very detailed Metadata manipulation which is great for sports photographers on a deadline but not something I really needed.

The current big winner that I wanted to share is FastRawViewer. http://www.fastrawviewer.com/ There is a 30 day eval and after that the program is only $15 for a license. Wow! After using it for a while, I have been very impressed with it. It supports rating by number and color, it can do standard editing, slideshow viewing, etc but I mainly use it for fast viewing/sorting. They have both Windows and Mac versions. The program is pretty mature at this point but they are still adding features. They also say that an Android version is in the works as well.

Give it a try if you have to slug through a ton of images like I do. It's very flexible and customizable. I changed/customized some of the keyboard shortcuts to match a few of the Lightroom shortcuts I use but otherwise, it's great as it is. The manual is also pretty well written and the forum seems to be pretty responsive.

If you try it, share your thoughts. For me it has worked great, FastRawViewer is hard to beat!

Mar 1, 2012
If you shoot raw + jpg, IrfanView is fast and free.
If you can choose rejects from viewing jpgs, IrfanView can be set to treat same file name CR2s in the same directory as 'sidecar' files, delete the raws and any other sidecars along with the jpgs having only viewed the jpgs.
There's a text string viewable and editable in settings> file associations where you remove CR2s from files it opens (or tries to open, it doesn't work for me for CR2s), jpg viewing is very fast. Use right/left arrow keys to get to the next or previous file, delete key plus a confirmation to delete via a single stroke of enter is also pretty darn quick.
If you do go for IrfanView, be sure to get the plug in set.

I've been using IrfanView since long before shooting raw. Now that I am shooting raw, I feel that the ability to continue using IrfanView for nothing else than it's speed of culling makes jpg storage issues worthwhile.
---
edit...
For kicks I just copied a raw+jpg directory of 90 files (45 images), ran through that directory's jpgs with IrfanView deleting each jpg with its CR2 mate, took 39 seconds total, basically as fast as I could stroke delete>enter repeat.

If I've been shooting something in mostly dark conditions, IrfanView is not my choice, I'll go to Lightroom 1st then for sure, see what can be recovered.
If all I need to know is if a subject blinked with the shutter, autofocus missed or unwanted motion happened, jpg review is just fine.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I think Fast Raw Viewer is a different product than IrfanView. I've known about and installed IrfanView myself for years and it's great. Also, FRW has several features that many will appreciate more than me... DR Eval with RAW Historgram, Focus Peaking, Over/Under Exposure Indication, lots of editing and conversion features, support for over 800 camera RAW file formats, etc.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
candc said:
Dpp ver3x is very fast. Previews are instant and you can scroll using the arrows with on hand, press x for reject or 1-5 with the other to rate.

Thanks candc! This is part of what I was hoping, other members would share what they use and why, etc.

When I'm shooting motorcyclists on a trackday, I can easily shoot 2500+ pictures, even when trying to limit myself (I used to do 4-5000/day. Going through that was a punishment in itself). So far I've used DPPv3, but I'm missing the histogram stuff so I'll give FastRawViewer a shot.

FWIW, I haven't seen any significant change in speed between DPPv3 and v4, but I still detest it's waste of screen real-estate, remapping of keys, and it's inability to take the adjustments done in DPPv3 in (only ratings and tick-marks are picked up by DPPv4).

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
RustyTheGeek said:
candc said:
Dpp ver3x is very fast. Previews are instant and you can scroll using the arrows with on hand, press x for reject or 1-5 with the other to rate.

Thanks candc! This is part of what I was hoping, other members would share what they use and why, etc.

When I'm shooting motorcyclists on a trackday, I can easily shoot 2500+ pictures, even when trying to limit myself (I used to do 4-5000/day. Going through that was a punishment in itself). So far I've used DPPv3, but I'm missing the histogram stuff so I'll give FastRawViewer a shot.

FWIW, I haven't seen any significant change in speed between DPPv3 and v4, but I still detest it's waste of screen real-estate, remapping of keys, and it's inability to take the adjustments done in DPPv3 in (only ratings and tick-marks are picked up by DPPv4).

I feel your pain kaihp and I try to limit myself on total shots as well. I haven't used FRW for long yet but it was very easy to customize the shortcuts, etc. It looks very similar to LR in layout and appearance and a lot of info can be shown or hidden depending on needs. That's ultimately why I decided to share it on CR. There's something there for everyone. There are also several features missing (like filtering/sorting on ratings, etc) that the forum posts discuss being on a list to add later.

Since there is not way to set Flags in FRW like LR (due to flags not being part of the XML Adobe sidecar info set) I configured the CTRL+UP ARROW shortcut to copy files to a "_Keepers" subfolder I create before I start sorting. Then I simply import what's in that folder into LR after I'm done culling.

Upvote 0