First 1D X III RAW files?

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Canon-sponsored DPReview content featuring Canon Explorer of Light Adam Jones. Some really exquisite photos and only a little bit of marketing fluff.
This is indeed impressive but keep in mind the situation is conducive to good captures - birds fluttering around food, repeatedly appearing in a predictable location. However, it duplicates what I've done with the Mark II and there is no way my AF would achieve close to that.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

This reviewer is really impressed with the performance of the 1DX3's OVF autofocus. Just ignore the bit at the start where talks about how a reduction of 0.1 megapixels has any measurable effect on ISO performance ;)

Vastly improved AF, for sure.

Now more than ever before, the restricted AF area of the DSLR is going to irk the shooter. You have this full screen AF capability that's awesome and then you turn around and use similar except it's optical and restricted to the centre, and .... you say to yourself, isn't this wonderful (I think not). Jared demonstrated this quite well.

This is going to further accelerate the move to mirrorless except for very specific uses where it really isn't a factor. Now if it had more MPs one would be more content just shooting wider and later cropping but alas for birders, 20 MPs isn't a match for 30 or 45 or ... As I see it, this is a perfect camera for those it was intended for, which isn't me.

Now, we know the R5 is not the 1 level mirrorless but will it substitute well enough, or do we stall and wait for an R1 and then will the mirrorless viewfinder kill our aging eyes (speaking for those of us that are retired or getting up there) etc.. Always these cursed compromises. ;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Vastly improved AF, for sure.

Now more than ever before, the restricted AF area of the DSLR is going to irk the shooter. You have this full screen AF capability that's awesome and then you turn around and use similar except it's optical and restricted to the centre, and .... you say to yourself, isn't this wonderful (I think not). Jared demonstrated this quite well.

This is going to further accelerate the move to mirrorless except for very specific uses where it really isn't a factor. Now if it had more MPs one would be more content just shooting wider and later cropping but alas for birders, 20 MPs isn't a match for 30 or 45 or ... As I see it, this is a perfect camera for those it was intended for, which isn't me.

Now, we know the R5 is not the 1 level mirrorless but will it substitute well enough, or do we stall and wait for an R1 and then will the mirrorless viewfinder kill our aging eyes (speaking for those of us that are retired or getting up there) etc.. Always these cursed compromises. ;)

Jack
Jack,

What makes you think the R1 won't also have 20 or so MP? If its aimed at the same market why would they shift a foundational metric much.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Jack,

What makes you think the R1 won't also have 20 or so MP? If its aimed at the same market why would they shift a foundational metric much.

They could be aiming such an R1 at the 1Ds crowd, the 1DsIII from 2007 still has more megapixel(s) than current 1Dx series.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I like the 1DX2 a lot except for weight and that's a personal thing based on the reality of aging. I still handle it well with the 400 DO II so that will continue, with no M III in my future. So, undoubtedly like others here I will be really watching the R5 and it'll be tough, given a limited budget, to decide whether to wait on a higher level R down the road. Come to think of it the scenario never changes - it's just like when I out-waited the 7D2. I'm trapped and need to just quit frequenting CR! :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
it's just an unboxing video but Brett is so familiar with the MkII and the menu systems it is interesting watching him, I am very interested in any follow up videos he posts.

Hard to imagine menu selecting much faster than what he does (without touch screen use).

Pretty much determined it's not going to tempt me. Like anything new and improved it is hard to pass though. I'm sure you'll love it and I wouldn't be surprised if you abandon the 1DX2 entirely! ;)

Jack

Last edited:
Upvote 0