First pic of Sigma 24-70 F/2 posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Just saw this at CW:
http://www.canonwatch.com/rumor-first-picture-of-sigma-24-70mm-f2-lens-leaked/

I am not speaking to the legitimacy of a low-res photo. It may be fake.

BUT, presuming it is real, I've superimposed known glass in PS, in this case, the 24-70 F/2.8L II.

My very crude PS ruler work yields that the new Sigma 24-70 F/2 comes out to:

1.56x as a long as a 24-70 II (at the 24mm end)
1.20x the filter diameter as the 24-70 II (or, roughly 98mm on the Sigma)

And we could also start guessing if we're looking at an internally focusing lens here. It may not telescope beyond the length shown in the picture, like a Canon 70-200.

Mad speculation is fun sometimes. :D

- A

Attachments

• Sigma.jpg
    Sigma.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6,380
ahsanford said:
There's no *might* about that.

This thing will be a pickle jar. I currently have a bet going with a friend. He seems to think this beast will be under two pounds. That money is as good as mine.

- A

Considering the 35/1.4 weighs nearly a pound and a half, I think you're pretty safe.

Upvote 0

Alangeli

Canon since 1979 - Sony since 2015
Mar 21, 2012
Munich, Germany
I guess that it is a fake based on this picture:

sigma_120-300os2.jpg

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Alangeli said:
I guess that it is a fake based on this picture:

sigma_120-300os2.jpg
I wouldn't doubt it for two reasons:

• The front element seems to have an oversized rubbery ring that you expect in a sports lens (like the 120-300) but wouldn't in a standard zoom. That ring is good for shock but a mess to sneak into a bag -- standard zooms need to be quickly retrievable.
  • Most suspiciously, look at the lens identifying text -- the 1:2 looks different than the other text, and there is what looks to be mottling/poor cloning just to the left of the 35 marking.

My needle is leaning towards fake at this point, but I'm not dead set on that. As with all of these, it's the leak of multiple images from different views that pushes the needle to authentic.

- A

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.