First Shoot with the new EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM - IT'S BEAUTIFUL

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
After a year of frustration with the Sigma 85mm Art lens, I pre-ordered the Canon 1.4L immediately. My plan was to compare it with the Sigma and see if it was worth swapping out for. After 3 days, I concluded that YES it was. After my first shoot with it? I think this is the new king of autofocus 85mm. Maybe it won't chart better than the Art lens, but it's a helluva lot better at everything else that matters in making money with your gear.

EDITING: I edited these to personal taste from RAW files. Very little to no chromatic aberration corrections were performed on any of these photos, however, I point out where it's especially bad in one of them.

Please enjoy. These are my opinions on the renderings. I'm not posting for critique of my style, composition, and editing, just looking to share the abilities of this lens.

All images shot wide open in this to show maximum bokeh effect.

1. This little nut was moving around quickly and the AF nails the close eye perfectly.
1DX Mark II | EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 1/1250 | f/1.4 | ISO 320

2. I'm loving the bokeh character of the lens.
1DX Mark II | EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 1/1250 | f/1.4 | ISO 125

3. This was a particularly busy background to render and it did so quite impressively, IMO. This would have been hard for any lens with the grass, mulch, trees, and lighting.
1DX Mark II | EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 1/1250 | f/1.4 | ISO 100

4. Really nice fall off.
1DX Mark II | EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 1/2500 | f/1.4 | ISO 100

5. I notice the green fringe in the treeline, but didn't bother removing it for posting lens quality.
5D Mark IV | EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 1/500 | f/1.4 | ISO 100 | HSS STROBE

6. As the sun came through the trees I wanted to test this lens's flare profile...WOW. Beautiful and something to work into artistic shots.
5D Mark IV | EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 1/500 | f/1.4 | ISO 100 | HSS STROBE

7. Can bokeh get better than this? Really...this is a truly a magnificent rendering.
5D Mark IV | EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 1/320 | f/1.4 | ISO 100 | HSS STROBE