Flare issues with 70-200 f4

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Today I was shooting an event and placed my hand out over the hood of the 70-200 f4 to cut the lens flare from the slightly back lit scene.
A buddy who was there shooting with the Sony A9 and the 70-200 f4 asked why? I took his camera and from the very same spot, he had no flare.
I checked mine again, very noticeable flare.

I really like this small, light lens, but this is not the first time i am fighting flare while no one else is.

Has anyone else noticed flare issues with the f4 version?

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
it might help to specify what version of the lens you mean. There is an EF non-IS version, two EF versions with IS, and the RF lens.

Also, are you using a clear or UV filter on the lens, and if so, which one?

Good point! Thanks.

It is the RF version on an R5. Lens hood in place, clean filter in place.

I have the ver3 of the EF 2.8 also and will start dragging to places where this may be an issue to compare.
I do not ever recall having to fight flare as much as with this lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Good point! Thanks.

It is the RF version on an R5. Lens hood in place, clean filter in place.

I have the ver3 of the EF 2.8 also and will start dragging to places where this may be an issue to compare.
I do not ever recall having to fight flare as much as with this lens.
Filters can certainly introduce flare, depending upon their quality. As @koenkooi suggests, try shooting without the filter. Personally, I use B+W filters. They are high-quality but even they can introduce flare in certain situations.

I had the EF 70-200/2.8 IS II, the MkIII Version of that lens had the same elements. The only significant improvement with the update was a reduction in flare due to new coatings on those elements.

This is a test I performed years ago with the the 70-200/2.8 II. There is an increase in ‘veiling glare’ with the filter.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
Does it also flare without a filter?

Thanks guys, I have not had the time to try and remove the filter to test yet.

The first time it was bad was a civic funeral for a fireman who died in the line of duty
the second was during statement by the mayor during a brief election stop.

Election day is Sunday, it has been really busy. I will try and test it on Saturday of this weekend.

Upvote 0