Flip-screen Sample Shots!

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHKhkgIDihc

This astro timelapse was fu___ing annoying to set up. In order to get required depth of field I needed to get the tripod as low to the ground as possible while framing the tree properly. How does one set up a shot like this?

1) I need to lie on the ground to look through the dark viewfinder to try and get the framing I want and then without bumping the tripod get up and set the intervalometer. ( Or resign myself to being pinned motionless under a tripod for 2-3 hours.)
2) Take an image, remove the camera from the tripod and check composition. Place camera back on tripod. Make adjustment. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.... Repeat until it's right.
3) Tether the camera to a computer. (I prefer not to take my laptop into the bush for numerous reasons)

All the time wasted in setup is imaging time which is lost. A fully articulating screen will greatly speed up the setup process.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
StudentOfLight said:

This astro timelapse was fu___ing annoying to set up. In order to get required depth of field I needed to get the tripod as low to the ground as possible while framing the tree properly. How does one set up a shot like this?

1) I need to lie on the ground to look through the dark viewfinder to try and get the framing I want and then without bumping the tripod get up and set the intervalometer. ( Or resign myself to being pinned motionless under a tripod for 2-3 hours.)
2) Take an image, remove the camera from the tripod and check composition. Place camera back on tripod. Make adjustment. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.... Repeat until it's right.
3) Tether the camera to a computer. (I prefer not to take my laptop into the bush for numerous reasons)

All the time wasted in setup is imaging time which is lost. A fully articulating screen will greatly speed up the setup process.

I see the point. I wonder, however, if a swifel screen on an dslr would be a good solution to this issue. Personally, if I had such situations a lot, I guess I would prefer using my iPad as live view remote control.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
StudentOfLight said:

Good case for the screen. I really like the way you composed with the tree.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How to add the feature to any dSLR:

71ezGdGTsbL._SL1500_.jpg

:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
neuroanatomist said:
How to add the feature to any dSLR:

71ezGdGTsbL._SL1500_.jpg

:)
I'll leave the Improvised-Ergonomic-Devices (IEDs) to TV's Macguyver, I prefer a solidly engineered and proven solution. I'll never forget my 60D's articulating screen at home, or accidentally have it drop out of my pocket in the in the dark in the bush, or out of my camera bag.

P.S. Didn't you get the memo? Mirror-less is the future :p

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
StudentOfLight said:

I see the point. I wonder, however, if a swifel screen on an dslr would be a good solution to this issue. Personally, if I had such situations a lot, I guess I would prefer using my iPad as live view remote control.

Well sure. And I think most people would be happy to see better wifi control. But possible downsides (off the top of my head) are: not everyone has an iPad; iPads are not weather sealed; it relies on wireless connections that, while generally good, are flakier than wired ones; and it's a separate item to remember, recharge, etc. There's room for both, definitely.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Is thread already too far gone to point out I was hoping to see shots taken WITH a flip-screen, not OF a flip-screen?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm not sure that applies. A flip screen is an ergonomic feature that makes taking images easier. Not necessarily that it enables certain images to be taken that couldn't otherwise be taken. I mean you can get down on your belly and shoot images of mushrooms but with a flip screen you don't have to. Sometimes technology is just there to make our lives/work easier. That's one of the reasons we even buy DSLRs, instead of shooting film.

Personally I find the flip screen most useful for video and self portraits. Selfies. I hate that word but I'm going to use it because it applies best for non tripod casual self portraits. For video though, a flip screen is super useful as it's your only monitor. Sure you could use an external monitor or a field monitor attached to the top of the camera, but then where are you going to mount your audio recorder if your shoe is already taken? Just easier to have the flip screen on the camera itself. More compact and convenient.

I have a magnetic loop that attaches to my flip out LCD and it makes it far more useable as I can tilt it up and down or from the side which sometimes helps ease people in video interviews when they don't see me staring directly through the camera at them.

I know some will say the 5D is not a video camera or just get a video camra instead. A lot of photographers say that because they can't understand the desire to shoot video with a DSLR. But this is my personal camera. The company I work for owns a C100mkII and it's great. But for myself who is stuck on a salary, I want a camera for both stills and video without spending twice as much on two different bodies. Yeah I do use my personal camera as a b-cam for company work sometimes. For a couple years there it was the A-cam before I convinced them they needed a C100mkII. I can't afford to be buyng a C100 in addition to a 5D along with lenses. Eventually maybe I could, but why if I can get a camera that does both? I'm not less a photographer just because I also shot video, but some photographers think the 5D is only for them and video people can shove off. You can make that argument wiht a Nikon Df but not a 5D. That series of camera changed the video landscape. It's just as much for video as stills now, so why not add features that help for video?

Upvote 0
Steve Balcombe said:
Many of my fungus pics on Flickr are taken with the 60D hanging under the tripod at ground level, using the articulated screen to frame and focus. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevebalcombe/albums/72157633443463415

15052373209_963c6707e5_o_d.jpg

15321998857_9ba3692cbb_o_d.jpg

Good stuff. I was trying to photograph fungi yesterday and I'd have loved a flip-out screen - lying on the cold, wet, uneven forest floor is not ideal (and even then cricking my neck to use the viewfinder).

Upvote 0