Fuji X-Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alipaulphotography

This camera looks awesome. I do wish there was a full frame version, but other than that it sounds perfect for my day to day and travel camera. Could definitely get use at weddings when you want to be seriously quiet to not ruin the moment.

This and the 35mm f/1.4 (53mm on APS-C) should be a killer combination.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/10/FujifilmXPro1_Preview

What does everyone else think?

Blows the G1X out the water in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2010
it's definitely a nice-looking (and probably nice handling) body and set of lenses. but comparing it to the G1X isn't really fair, since the estimated price for the Fuji X Pro 1 is around $1750 for the body and approx. $650 for each prime lens (seen on dpreview). versus the G1X, which is $800, period.

it's sort of like saying the 7D blows the G1X out of the water. the X Pro 1 is meant to be a photographer's primary camera, versus the G1X is clearly meant to be a high-end compact / photographer's backup camera. different price ranges and different niches.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

Meh said:
Blows the G1X out the water in my opinion.

Possibly but my gut feel is to agree with kubelik... the price of the Fuji is not worth any benefits over the G1X if you are buying it for a compact, carry around camera in addition to your DSLR. Do you have any specific thoughts on why you prefer the X-Pro1?

My biggest issue with the G1X is the lens. I would much prefer a fast 1.4 than a zoom.
I hadn't actually looked at the quoted prices for either, but the difference is quite a bit bigger than I had expected. A full frame version would likely replace my dslr all together. I'm sure that would be the next step.

Upvote 0
Indeed it does not blow the G1X out of the water! The G1X blows the Fuji Camera out of the water!

1. The G1X is made by Canon. That alone counts for a whole point.

2. The G1X can change focal lengths without changing lenses.

3. The G1X has a father maximum focal length.

4. The G1X costs 2,000.00 less or so after the three lenses

So, the G1X clearly blows the fuji thing way out of the water.

The real point is that the G1X is a walk around, landscape, people, macro, everything, one size fits all camera. It doesn't need and isn't supposed to have a broad aperture. Much of what I would shoot with this camera would be with a narrower aperture anyway. One doesn't shoot landscapes at f1.4, if one can help it, usually... But, having a compact with a f1.4 would be helpful. If I had the budget, I would buy both instantly, and recommend you do if you can! Instead, I am saving up my dinero for some lighting gear, and maybe a new lens... I would really like a super super telephoto lens (600 F4!!!), but that's not coming soon... Maybe the Sigma 500 4.5? Anyway, this post is really beginning to rant, because I just got done with a really bad night of work, and I'm tired, so it's time to quit while I'm ahead!

Upvote 0
T

thejoyofsobe

Meh said:
It will be interesting to see how the colours turn out on the Fuji. Their new 6X6 colour filter array that they claim eliminates the need for the AA filter is interesting. Instead of a repeating 2X2 Bayer pattern they place the B and R pixels randomly in the 6X6 array.

Any mathematicians in the house that can comment on this?
the form factor is nice and all but this is what I'm really interested about with the camera too.

well that and whether the image circle for the lenses could be used on a full-frame sensor to indicate whether Fuji's intentions are to someday offer such a sensor in a compact body. 35mm sensor in a compact body without the need for an anti-aliasing filter and under $3000 would sound lovely.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

AprilForever said:
Indeed it does not blow the G1X out of the water! The G1X blows the Fuji Camera out of the water!

The real point is that the G1X is a walk around, landscape, people, macro, everything, one size fits all camera. It doesn't need and isn't supposed to have a broad aperture. Much of what I would shoot with this camera would be with a narrower aperture anyway. One doesn't shoot landscapes at f1.4, if one can help it, usually... But, having a compact with a f1.4 would be helpful. If I had the budget, I would buy both instantly, and recommend you do if you can! Instead, I am saving up my dinero for some lighting gear, and maybe a new lens... I would really like a super super telephoto lens (600 F4!!!), but that's not coming soon... Maybe the Sigma 500 4.5? Anyway, this post is really beginning to rant, because I just got done with a really bad night of work, and I'm tired, so it's time to quit while I'm ahead!

So I probably used the terms 'blow out the water' a bit loosely. For my purposes I've been after a small body to supplement my DSLR for a while. I've been using a little olympus OM2 film camera which does the job nicely with a 50mm f/1.4 lens. I have been missing the digital workflow and having control of my images though.

Not wanting to lug a dslr everywhere I go means missing images. So I got excited by the G1X announcement as it had a big sensor and was small and compact. Not having wide aperture lenses means I would probably still use my DSLR when possible.

Then the X-Pro 1 got announced shortly after - Seemed to fit the bill! So for me - it stole the canons thunder. But I can see why it is much better suited to others.

So in counter to your points:-

1. Camera brand means nothing to me. A camera is just a tool after all - I have little favouritism if the product does the job.

2. I don't think I have put a zoom lens on my DSLR in about a year.

3. I use a 50mm equivalent (95%) of the time.

4. You don't have to buy all the lenses - just the ones you'll use. Probably just the 35mm.

We got some good cameras on the way! Should be a good year for photographers.

And by good - I mean expensive.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

alipaulphotography said:
1. Camera brand means nothing to me. A camera is just a tool after all - I have little favouritism if the product does the job.

4. You don't have to buy all the lenses - just the ones you'll use. Probably just the 35mm.

Just buy a Leica M9 then

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

briansquibb said:
alipaulphotography said:

Just buy a Leica M9 then

Easier said than done.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

alipaulphotography said:
My biggest issue with the G1X is the lens. I would much prefer a fast 1.4 than a zoom.

yeah there are so many who want fast f1.4 .... right.... :eek:

but wait.... what focal lenght?
some may want 24mm, some 50mm.. and hey over there is a birder who needs 500mm. ;D

well i think you do not exactly see what (and for whom) this G1 X camera is. ;D

Upvote 0
AprilForever said:

Using those standards the G1X blows away the 1DX as well.

I'll take an X-Pro1 over the G1X anyday.

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

Meh said:
Possibly but my gut feel is to agree with kubelik... the price of the Fuji is not worth any benefits over the G1X if you are buying it for a compact, carry around camera in addition to your DSLR. Do you have any specific thoughts on why you prefer the X-Pro1?

That assumes people will use both this type of camera and a DSLR. I think what Fuji (along with others) are trying for is developing mirrorless cameras that are replacements for DSLRs. The feature gap is slowly closing with cameras like this (and the NEX7) which will reduce the question to purely one of OVF vs EVF... and even there I suspect EVFs will eventually win out.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
I find the two cameras highly complimentary. The Fuji X-Pro 1 is the portrait/low-light/shallow-DoF/wide-ange/prime camera, and the Canon G1X is the versatile zoom/telephoto camera (probably also outdoor sports if the AF is good enough) for better lighting conditions when you don't need such a wide aperture. The G1X is certainly more portable than the Fuji with a few lenses, but both of them will fit in a lot less bag space (& weight) than a semi-pro EOS DSLR with equivalent lenses (not to mention the cost of Fuji's 35mm f/1.4 vs. Canon).

Personally I'm holding out for a nice small Powershot S1X with the same sensor and a stabilized 24-90 equivalent lens with max aperture better than f/4 :).

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Neeneko said:
Meh said:

That assumes people will use both this type of camera and a DSLR. I think what Fuji (along with others) are trying for is developing mirrorless cameras that are replacements for DSLRs. The feature gap is slowly closing with cameras like this (and the NEX7) which will reduce the question to purely one of OVF vs EVF... and even there I suspect EVFs will eventually win out.

Not assuming anything which is why I said "if" which I believe is the case for alipaul. He later said a FF compact might be a replacement his DSLR. But yes, I agree with you... if choosing a compact camera for your only camera, then the considerations are different.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.