Full Specifications for the Canon EOS Rebel SL2

rs

EOS R
Dec 29, 2012
1,024
0
UK
EOS 200D

Number of effective pixels: 24.2 million pixels (Total number of pixels: 25.8 million pixels)
Video engine DIGIC 7
Dual pixel CMOS AF
Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)
Viewfinder ratio of viewfinder: about 95% for up / down / left / right
Viewfinder magnification: 0.87 times
Back Liquid Crystal: Touch Panel Compatible Variedangle Liquid Crystal (3.0 inch, 1.04 million dots)
Continuous: Up to 5 frames per second (up to about 3.5 frames / sec when servo AF is set for Live View shooting)
Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200 [H])
Shutter speed: 1/4000 to 30 seconds, Valve, strobe synchronization Maximum shutter speed 1/200 seconds
Video: Full HD, 5 axis electronic image stabilization
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed
Battery: LP-E 17
Number of storable pictures: approx. 840 pictures (when viewfinder shooting)
Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I card compatible)
Size: 122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8 mm
Weight: 406 g (body only - black), 453 g (including battery and SD card), 407 g (body only - white), 409 g (body only - silver)
British price: 579 pounds body (black), 68-55 mm III kit (black) 649 pounds, 18-55 mmf / 4-5.6 kit (black, white and silver) 679 pounds

Source: Nokishita
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=3&hl=en&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/06/eos-kiss-x7_27.html%3Fm%3D0&usg=ALkJrhivpChWnxxBap5GlnMGxkShzVymJw
 

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
  • Nov 7, 2013
    4,194
    4,792
    Germany
    Re: Full EOS 200D specs

    rs said:
    Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)
    Meh!

    That would mean, that they'll keep the old AF system. (Not even giving it all cross point)
    An AF system that was old, when the 100D was introduced in 2013.

    That'll put me out of the buy list at once. And I was really interested.

    Ridiculous!
     
    Upvote 0

    rs

    EOS R
    Dec 29, 2012
    1,024
    0
    UK
    Re: Full EOS 200D specs

    Maximilian said:
    rs said:
    Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)
    Meh!

    That would mean, that they'll keep the old AF system. (Not even giving it all cross point)
    An AF system that was old, when the 100D was introduced in 2013.

    That'll put me out of the buy list at once. And I was really interested.

    Ridiculous!

    As far as I know, Canon first used a 9 point AF system back in the 20D - which dates from August 2004
     
    Upvote 0

    Maximilian

    The dark side - I've been there
    CR Pro
  • Nov 7, 2013
    4,194
    4,792
    Germany
    Re: Full EOS 200D specs

    rs said:
    ...
    As far as I know, Canon first used a 9 point AF system back in the 20D - which dates from August 2004
    Even when you only look at the consumer Rebels/xxxDs this was a really old AF system.
    Outdated when the 100D was released. I cannot believe Canon is doing this (as said in the other thread, too)
    I'm still hoping :-\
    *sigh*
    Ridiculous! Simply ridiculous! ::)
     
    Upvote 0

    Sporgon

    5% of gear used 95% of the time
    CR Pro
    Nov 11, 2012
    4,430
    1,159
    Yorkshire, England
    Re: Full EOS 200D specs

    rs said:
    Maximilian said:
    rs said:
    Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)
    Meh!

    That would mean, that they'll keep the old AF system. (Not even giving it all cross point)
    An AF system that was old, when the 100D was introduced in 2013.

    That'll put me out of the buy list at once. And I was really interested.

    Ridiculous!

    As far as I know, Canon first used a 9 point AF system back in the 20D - which dates from August 2004

    Yes but this 9 point AF system will most probably "close the loop" on the focusing as the 6D does. Thus I imagine it will have the increased precision that the 6D has over the 5DII for instance.

    If this is the case, and if the UK price of this camera body is correct, then I have no issues with the 9 point system in a camera like this at all. I just have to remember that if I'm using a single orientation point I have to find suitable orientation ! Also, personally I have found that if you want points that are guaranteed to not be confused you need + and x points combined anyway. A simple "+" point is no guarantee of finding the phase in all situations.
     
    Upvote 0

    aceflibble

    EOS RP
    May 8, 2015
    355
    192
    Looks like it'll be a top-notch vlogger body. That's most of the features of a GH4 but at a lower price new than a GH4 is used; it doesn't have 4K, but the average YouTuber isn't publishing in 4K anyway. Under £600 (probably £550 street) for a touch screen, IBIS, and the full trio of wireless connectivity is a solid deal. It may not be so impressive for stills, but at that price there's not actually that much which can beat it. A used 70D or 7D is around that same price point and may have better AF but base image quality is most likely lower (Canon's last few 24mp APS-C sensors & DIGIC 7 bodies have blown the 7D out the water in image quality) and there's a helluva lot of people out there who would rather buy a new 'lower' model than a 5-year-old used body.

    Seems like a good package. Get a compact-ish all-purpose zoom on it (Sigma 17-70 OS Macro comes to mind) and that's a top budget-concious video combination and a decent-enough stills pair for the money.
     
    Upvote 0

    pwp

    EOS R6
    Oct 25, 2010
    2,530
    24
    rs said:
    Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)

    Whoa! Extraordinary decision. Canon passed on the one significant item that would have lifted the SL-2 into competitive and functional relevance. Jeez this AF array felt dated on my 20D in 2004. They've just condemned this potentially great little camera to immediate irrelevance for stills shooters. Sigh....

    -pw
     
    Upvote 0

    Sporgon

    5% of gear used 95% of the time
    CR Pro
    Nov 11, 2012
    4,430
    1,159
    Yorkshire, England
    pwp said:
    rs said:
    Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)

    Whoa! Extraordinary decision. They've just condemned this potentially great little camera to immediate irrelevance for stills shooters. Sigh....

    -pw

    You're joking, right ?

    http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23146.45

    All shot with the 9 point AF of a 6D
     
    Upvote 0

    Sharlin

    EOS R
    CR Pro
    Dec 26, 2015
    1,411
    1,430
    Turku, Finland
    Given that Canon gave even the 800D the 45pt AF system, it's admittedly surprising that the 200D only got the 10-year-old sensor that's otherwise only alive in the cheapest-of-the-cheapest 1300D. It doesn't seem to be congruent with the rest of the feature set either. Also, given that DPAF is so much better with tracking, face detection, off-center autofocus, I can't help but think that Canon has data that the target audience uses this mostly in LV. But, for those people, why bother with a DSLR at all? That's what the M cameras are for.
     
    Upvote 0

    pwp

    EOS R6
    Oct 25, 2010
    2,530
    24
    Sporgon said:
    pwp said:
    rs said:
    Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)

    Whoa! Extraordinary decision. They've just condemned this potentially great little camera to immediate irrelevance for stills shooters. Sigh....

    -pw
    You're joking, right ?
    http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23146.45
    All shot with the 9 point AF of a 6D

    Yes that's nice work, especially with a 6D which was never pitched as an action camera. But no, I'm certainly not joking. For a higher keeper rate, quicker, accurate AF point placement and avoidance of focus/recompose, a big spread of AF points is a meaningful advantage. Do you suppose the 7DII, 5D4, 1DXII and practically all Nikons have a big spread of AF points as nothing more than a marketing tool? It's because they're USEFUL. Canon have a crowded parts bin with ready to go AF systems. Even the 19 point AF from the old 7D would have been vastly more welcome than the ancient 9 point.

    Shooting action with the 9 point, you'd never use anything but the centre point. It's not solely action shooters who lose out with a 9 point array, it's anyone shooting with long lenses, anyone using wide aperture lenses like the 85 f/1.2 who require ultra precision AF point placement, macro shooters, many landscape shooters and practically all portrait shooters. I'm not saying you can't get your shots successfully with the 9 point, it's just that any increase in AF points delivers deeply enhanced usability. Same with the number of cross-type points. Cross-type AF points rock. Don't underestimate their power. That's largely why that centre AF point in the 6D for example is so darn good. A broad spread of cross-type AF points simply gives you a great tool to come home with more great shots. Who doesn't want that?

    It just seems like a lost opportunity to lift a decent little camera up to another level.

    -pw
     
    Upvote 0

    dak723

    EOS R
    Oct 26, 2013
    1,140
    426
    I'll definitely be looking into getting this camera. 9 points is plenty for those of us shooting center point the majority of the time, and enough for focus recompose for every other situation that I shoot (mainly landscapes). Will make a perfect compliment to my M5 when I want the OVF and better battery life. Thank you Canon for still giving avid enthusiasts a relatively simple camera without the many needless bells and whistles that landscape still shooters don't need.
     
    Upvote 0

    Sharlin

    EOS R
    CR Pro
    Dec 26, 2015
    1,411
    1,430
    Turku, Finland
    bsbeamer said:
    "Video: Full HD, 5 axis electronic image stabilization"

    Curious how well this performs. First Canon DSLR body with IBIS?

    NO NO NO how many times people have to be told

    This is electronic video stabilization - the sensor does not move. Same as all other new Canon cameras. Lens IS is combined with cropping every frame a bit in response to vibrations. It does nothing in stills mode.
     
    Upvote 0

    bsbeamer

    EOS RP
    Nov 5, 2011
    318
    52
    Sharlin said:
    bsbeamer said:
    "Video: Full HD, 5 axis electronic image stabilization"

    Curious how well this performs. First Canon DSLR body with IBIS?

    NO NO NO how many times people have to be told

    This is electronic video stabilization - the sensor does not move. Same as all other new Canon cameras. Lens IS is combined with cropping every frame a bit in response to vibrations. It does nothing in stills mode.


    Not saying it does anything in stills mode. Am curious how well this performs and will wait to see footage examples. They make tech improvements all the time and this iteration may be more usable than other/previous versions. If it's less Warp Stabilizer and more ReelSteady it could be a nice feature in a very small camera body for some usage.

    Still, do believe this is the first "DSLR" with this "feature" included. Believe only the Canon mirrorless options included this.
     
    Upvote 0

    Sporgon

    5% of gear used 95% of the time
    CR Pro
    Nov 11, 2012
    4,430
    1,159
    Yorkshire, England
    pwp said:
    A broad spread of cross-type AF points simply gives you a great tool to come home with more great shots. Who doesn't want that?

    I would imagine people who would rather save £100 or so. The camera is well priced in UK, and those that are looking to buy a dslr at this price level will be very price conscious.
     
    Upvote 0

    Maximilian

    The dark side - I've been there
    CR Pro
  • Nov 7, 2013
    4,194
    4,792
    Germany
    Sporgon said:
    pwp said:
    A broad spread of cross-type AF points simply gives you a great tool to come home with more great shots. Who doesn't want that?

    I would imagine people who would rather save £100 or so. The camera is well priced in UK, and those that are looking to buy a dslr at this price level will be very price conscious.
    They could have taken the all cross type module of the T5i at least. But still this would have been a bad joke.
    This is the first time where I seriously say: "Stupid Canon!"
    Good thing: I can spend my money on something else.
     
    Upvote 0