Fungus or dirt in my RF 70-200 2.8?

Hello,
sorry for the "maniac" question, but while preparing my photo backpack for vacation I noticed that under the first lens of my RF 70-200 2.8 there was that element that you can see in the picture.
In your opinion is it a fungus (or the beginning of a fungus) or dirt, a hair that I think may be coming from the inside of an old backpack that I changed just because it was starting to fall apart.

Sorry, precisely, the manic question. But the last fungus (that was under the first inner lens, though) in an EF 100-400 cost me, living in Switzerland, the equivalent of $600...
Whereas if it is just dirty, of course I don't send it for control but keep it so that nothing changes....

Thank you for your opinion.
Regards

70-200.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
That's a bug

Removing front elements isn't that difficult, but they have to go back on the exact same way. I'm unsure if Canon shims the front of these RF lenses.

Take some shots of the sky or a plain wall at various apertures and see if/when it shows up. If it doesn't show up until like f/16, you don't really need to do anything before your trip.

After your trip, if the lens is still under warranty, Canon should take care of this. They have been known to correct these things for no charge out of warranty, but no guarantees.

Upvote 0
Good evening, thank you very much for your response.
Actually the lens is still under warranty.
And that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. When I get back I will try to send the lens to a Canon center and see if they will fix it under warranty or not. Since there are few centers in Switzerland and very far from me (I live in Italian Switzerland) I will have to send it via parcel. I will take the opportunity to also send two-three other lenses for a cleaning (CPS service), paying one shipping.

However I would like to emphasize that in reality the insect is very very small. It looks big in the image because it is taken with 100 macro and cropped. In reality it will be a millimeter more or less.

Thank you again and best regards.

Upvote 0