Future EOS-M Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Ok, so I got myself a EOS-M "toy" yesterday, lets talk lenses - we have the following;
- 22mm - which is about a FFE of 35mm
- 18-55mm - which is about a FFE of 29-88mm

I'd like to see a few more, there has already been talk of a fast prime, a 55-300mm and a super tele, so what's coming and what would others like to see ?

Predicted;
- 55-300mm - I suspect this might be something less, perhaps a 55-200
- A fast prime ? Maybe something like a 85mm - which is about a FFE of 135mm
- Supertele ? Really ??? I just can't see this, maybe a 300mm ?

What would I like ?
- 15-85mm would be peachy

What about the rest of you ?

Kathode-Ray

Shoot, shoot, shoot!
Jun 29, 2012
I own the M as well, and got my EF-M adapter from China last week. It's not as sturdy as the original but it works very well and it's a lot cheaper...

I put the Sigma 30/1.4 on it and it's a very well handling combo. Focussing with the original 18-55 STM is noticeably quicker though. Seems the stepper motor is optimized for the AF method, the HSM and USM motors get there eventually but it takes a while. So I would love to see a EF-M 30mm STM to have a 50mm equivalent.

The M with EF 70-200 is simply hilarious but the pics are amazing!

Upvote 0

Kathode-Ray

Shoot, shoot, shoot!
Jun 29, 2012
You hold the lens, not the camera. The body just acts as a display with buttons that's attached to the back of the lens :)

It takes some getting used to, you have to find a new way to hold it. With the 70-200, it's a bit strange but not impossible. I don't have anything longer than 200mm so can't comment on that :)

The touch-shutter function is very handy when taking pictures this way.

Upvote 0
DanielW said:
Kathode-Ray said:
The M with EF 70-200 is simply hilarious but the pics are amazing!

I wonder what is it like to handhold such a small camera at arm's length (no VF) with a somewhat heavy lens... Is it too hard to keep it steady?

I hear this objection a lot and I don't really get it. You hold it much the same way you hold a DSLR -- cradle the lens in the left hand, and place the right hand on the camera body. There is nothing "unbalanced" about the combo, because the left hand is under the center of gravity (the lens) and the right hand steadies it.

Generally you don't want to hold the combo "at arms length" (unnecesarily difficult), rather you'd hold it just below eye level a few inches in front.

I've shot with a 135L on a small mirrorless camera and while it looked a bit odd (and manual focus made for an interesting challenge), it otherwise was quite usable. It's no more "unbalanced" than a large tele is on a DSLR.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
CanNotYet said:
More pancake lenses!
UWA primes, like 10mm, 14mm, 18mm.
Something like the pancake zoom that MFT has.

And Tamron will probably come with a native 17-250mm EOS-M 3.5-5.6 VC... :)

Better yet...just buy an Olympus OMD ...it actually focuses, has a viewfinder and lots of small fast primes AND zooms?
TODAY! 8)

Upvote 0
infared said:
Better yet...just buy an Olympus OMD ...it actually focuses, has a viewfinder and lots of small fast primes AND zooms?
TODAY! 8)

Yes, but OM-D lacks a certain criteria essential to many of this forum...it is not a Canon... ;D
But I do agree. Although I would rather have the Panasonic GF form factor (as small as possible).
That is also why I would like more pancake lenses.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
CanNotYet said:
infared said:
TODAY! 8)

Yes, but OM-D lacks a certain criteria essential to many of this forum...it is not a Canon... ;D
But I do agree. Although I would rather have the Panasonic GF form factor (as small as possible).

That is just it... I have a full Canon kit..(see my listed kit below)..love it for Full-Frame...but am sooo disappointed with the Canon mirrorless offering when it finally appeared. I was thinking that it would be so fantastic that I would sell off my MFT kit...but instead Canon made me cherish it more and pat myself on the back for buying into the best all-round micro "system". It could have been different...but it isn't. :'(

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
CanNotYet said:
infared said:
TODAY! 8)

Unfortunatly, no long glass is available yet for micro 4/3 :(

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Don Haines said:
CanNotYet said:
infared said:
TODAY! 8)

Unfortunatly, no long glass is available yet for micro 4/3 :(
The main advantage of M 4/3 is the smaller size. Long lenses defeats this idea. You can always mount a long lens with an adapter.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.