Future EOS-M Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
RLPhoto said:
If you count the Crop factor, sure why not? afterall, 300mm FOV isn't that tele.

Ah...so crop factor applied to focal length, not just FoV? You must be in some weird, Star Trek-ian mirrored universe where the normal laws of optical physics don't apply. Say "Hi" to evil Mr. Spock while you're there...

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:
If you count the Crop factor, sure why not? afterall, 300mm FOV isn't that tele.

Ah...so crop factor applied to focal length, not just FoV? You must be in some weird, Star Trek-ian mirrored universe where the normal laws of optical physics don't apply. Say "Hi" to evil Mr. Spock while you're there...

Just imagine a world where 35mm didn't exist and only M4/3 did. Then we'd all be saying how 150mm is very tele and unless I'm mistaken, 150mm on m4/3 is pretty tele.

Context is important, but since everyone shoots 35mm, I just put it in those terms. Eh Neuro?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Unfortunatly, no long glass is available yet for micro 4/3 :(
99% (or more?) of long lens use is for sports or wildlife. Micro 4/3 isn't quite there yet. The AF systems, while improving, currently isn't suited to this. For example, its very, very difficult to get a good bird in fight shot. Most people who can get a decent shot are using old-school manual focus lenses with adapters. But, the next OM-D should move things up a notch. Panasonic are also promising something special. Following that, I'd be surprised if none of the m43 lens manufacturers (and there are 20 or so companies involved) didn't release a decent 200mm (AKA 400mm) or 300mm (AKA 600mm) lens. After all, the real interest in micro four thirds lenses is in fast primes.

Ignoring arguments about aperture equivalence and sensor noise, an M43 300mm/f4 is going to be a lot more affordable and easier to handhold and use than the Canon 600mm.

Upvote 0
Can any one post some images so that we can have a look over it to choose anyone lenses,As I'm the new one to discover this hobby i would be needing some advice from the experts for sure.
Charlotte, NC 28217
http://posnation.com/

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Hillsilly said:
Don Haines said:
Unfortunatly, no long glass is available yet for micro 4/3 :(
99% (or more?) of long lens use is for sports or wildlife. Micro 4/3 isn't quite there yet. The AF systems, while improving, currently isn't suited to this. For example, its very, very difficult to get a good bird in fight shot. Most people who can get a decent shot are using old-school manual focus lenses with adapters. But, the next OM-D should move things up a notch. Panasonic are also promising something special. Following that, I'd be surprised if none of the m43 lens manufacturers (and there are 20 or so companies involved) didn't release a decent 200mm (AKA 400mm) or 300mm (AKA 600mm) lens. After all, the real interest in micro four thirds lenses is in fast primes.

Ignoring arguments about aperture equivalence and sensor noise, an M43 300mm/f4 is going to be a lot more affordable and easier to handhold and use than the Canon 600mm.

I think that cropping in photoshop is cheaper than buying a dedicate crop system just to have something smaller and easier to handhold. For example, cropping (or not) 6D+24-105L images vs. OMD+equivalent lens set (because it is lacking the not-cropping option) - which combo would cost and weight more? :)

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:

Just imagine a world where 35mm didn't exist and only M4/3 did. Then we'd all be saying how 150mm is very tele and unless I'm mistaken, 150mm on m4/3 is pretty tele.

Context is important, but since everyone shoots 35mm, I just put it in those terms. Eh Neuro?

Funny how everyone is happy to convert the focal length to 35mm terms, but not the aperture... This would give you the equivalent of f/4 in 35mm terms. Useful, but doesn't sound as good as the "300mm f/2" you quoted in your original post. On top of that, as others have pointed out, the 150mm f/2 is "regular" 4/3rds and so on micro-4/3rds bodies, will focus even slower than the Canon M ;D

As CanNotYet points out, there are two native micro 4/3rds lenses that get to 300mm available; not only are these slow, optically they aren't that great at the long end.

None of the mirrorless systems yet have compelling long lens options, which means that they lose appeal as DSLR replacements (as opposed to supplements) unless you can live with lenses below ~200mm (in 35mm equivalence ;)).

Upvote 0
Haydn1971 said:
Ok, so I got myself a EOS-M "toy" yesterday, lets talk lenses - we have the following;
- 22mm - which is about a FFE of 35mm
- 18-55mm - which is about a FFE of 29-88mm

I'd like to see a few more, there has already been talk of a fast prime, a 55-300mm and a super tele, so what's coming and what would others like to see ?

Predicted;
- 55-300mm - I suspect this might be something less, perhaps a 55-200
- A fast prime ? Maybe something like a 85mm - which is about a FFE of 135mm
- Supertele ? Really ??? I just can't see this, maybe a 300mm ?

What would I like ?
- 15-85mm would be peachy

What about the rest of you ?

+1 that

Upvote 0
infared said:
CanNotYet said:
More pancake lenses!
UWA primes, like 10mm, 14mm, 18mm.
Something like the pancake zoom that MFT has.

And Tamron will probably come with a native 17-250mm EOS-M 3.5-5.6 VC... :)

Better yet...just buy an Olympus OMD ...it actually focuses, has a viewfinder and lots of small fast primes AND zooms?
TODAY! 8)

I'm thinking not all elevators go to the top floor!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.