Future of the M line/mount

Sep 1, 2014
I've seen a topic about the future of the EF/EF-S mounts now that the R mount has been launched
Honestly, i don't really care about that topic because it's clear the the EF mount is not going anywhere considering the number of bodies sold in the 30 years of existance

EF-M however...is quite new to the canon world and it hasn't been shown a lot of love neither from canon itself or any of the third party manufacturers (talking about the big ones, not small chinese companies)
one could argue that canon is committed to the EF-M mount by launching this new 32 1.4 but i'm not convinced: there is no higher end zoom to replace the kit lens (like the EF-S 17-50 2.8 or the 15-85), there is no prime longer than 32mm, longest native lens is 200mm and it's 6.3

sony on the other hand, have 3 constant aperture zooms for their aps-c cameras

don't compare canon m to fuji x because fuji's entire focus was on crop sensors until recently

you will say why i don't just adapt? i do! i have the 55-250 STM which fits perfectly my M5, no complaints here, and i have also the 15-85 but this just looks like that EOS R with the 28-70 mounted...scaled down to 70% (someone will correct me on the proportions, it's the internet)

ok...rant over...
what do you think is the future of the EF-M mount? will it slowly vanish and be replaced with a small crop R camera? will it continue as a low cost/low expectations platform and see 1 lens every 2 years (best case)? will canon show it more love?

Jul 28, 2015
I would say it is a choice between APS-C and M series. The future is mirrorless, and M series are IMP the prime candidate for the APS-C level introduction to Canon cameras. However, the 80D and 7D are both excellent action cameras and those alone make me think that a much reduced APS-C line will prevail, at least until Canon's mirrorless AF is close to those models.

Upvote 0
I think Canon will keep selling M series bodies and lenses as long as there is a market for them but it's hard to imagine that they'll get much attention from the product design groups. Canon has a pretty full plate. Still, I'm pretty confident that the EOS R bodies will be getting bigger not smaller so there ought to be room for a line of compact mirrorless bodies and lenses. No reason why Canon should surrender that market to someone else when by all accounts the M's are very popular.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
ef-s and crop mirrorslappers are as good as dead.

EOS M5/M6 II and a new low end M body will take care of all those rebels and anything up to 80D.

EF-M lenses? perfect lineup. only a moderately fast tele prime is missing EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM. it will eventually come. and maybe a 16-50/2.8-4.0 zoom. canon will not break EF-M lens parameters: max 58mm filter thread, 61mm barrel diameter.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Canon considers the M to be their COMPACT camera line. I think this tells us that R cameras (even R APS-C if they go that route) will basically be DSLR size as the new R has shown to be. The M system is meant for a target market that wants small and light and SIMPLE and INEXPENSIVE. There will not be high end zooms or "big" zooms. Perhaps 2 or 3 more lenses over the next few years - then only upgrades. Which suites the target market just fine. I have the 11-22mm and the 18-150. I have absolutely no need for any other lens. My guess is that the vast majority of M owners (not forum dwellers) feel exactly the same way.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ef-s and crop mirrorslappers are as good as dead.

EOS M5/M6 II and a new low end M body will take care of all those rebels and anything up to 80D.
:rolleyes:

As dead as you or me. Well, actually I'm not sure about you, but I've got decades left (and given your disparagement of Canon's execs based on their age, I suspect you do, too...just as long as you don't literally hold your breath waiting for that M85/2.4 IS ;) ). Canon will keep developing and releasing APS-C DSLRs until there is no more market for them...and right now, the market for them is much larger than for MILCs.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
:rolleyes:

As dead as you or me. Well, actually I'm not sure about you, but I've got decades left (and given your disparagement of Canon's execs based on their age, I suspect you do, too...just as long as you don't literally hold your breath waiting for that M85/2.4 IS ;) ). Canon will keep developing and releasing APS-C DSLRs until there is no more market for them...and right now, the market for them is much larger than for MILCs.

It would be very interesting to see sales numbers (units) of all Rebels + 77D, 80D vs. EOS M5/6/50 for 2018 full year. Globally.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It would be very interesting to see sales numbers (units) of all Rebels + 77D, 80D vs. EOS M5/6/50 for 2018 full year. Globally.
Yes, but we won't.

What we do know is that MILC shipments to Asia outnumber those to the rest of the world. We also know that in Japan, Canon's top selling ILC are (in descending order): Kiss X9i (Rebel T7i/800D) > Kiss X9 (Rebel SL2/200D) > Kiss M (M50) > 80D > M100. In other words, of Canon's top five domestic ILCs, three are DSLRs...including the top two.

If Canon were to discontinue APS-C DSLRs any time soon, they'd actually be as stupid as you seem to think they are (and just to be unambiguous about it, they're not).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Canon considers the M to be their COMPACT camera line. I think this tells us that R cameras (even R APS-C if they go that route) will basically be DSLR size as the new R has shown to be. The M system is meant for a target market that wants small and light and SIMPLE and INEXPENSIVE. There will not be high end zooms or "big" zooms. Perhaps 2 or 3 more lenses over the next few years - then only upgrades. Which suites the target market just fine. I have the 11-22mm and the 18-150. I have absolutely no need for any other lens. My guess is that the vast majority of M owners (not forum dwellers) feel exactly the same way.
Agree. M's serves the group that is happy with APS-C, need a system that is small, light weight and reasonable priced and good enough is good enough mentality. I moved from 20D+40D into M+M2( I alway travel with 2 cameras). Now I got the M50+M2. as for lens, I have 18-55, 11-22, 20 and the 15-45 ( paid $70 as a kit with the M50, just cannot resist the deal). The 15-45 is surprisingly good. I even pack the EF 28-135 with adapter for occasional use. Everything fits in the old Lowepro Nova 3 case. That is as compact as anybody can get.

Upvote 0
EOS R bodies will be getting bigger not smaller
why do they necessarily need to get bigger? my concern with the new RF mount is that it can (and most probably will) fit a crop sensor for use with the lenses, like ef-s was for ef. at that point what's the purpose of the M line?

M's serves the group that is happy with APS-C, need a system that is small, light weight and reasonable priced and good enough is good enough mentality
yes, i would be in that target group. but i'm also thinking about the future, if canon decide to scrap the M line completely i'm left with something that won't get anything new and i wouldn't be able to update without throwing a ton of money out the window

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
why do they necessarily need to get bigger? my concern with the new RF mount is that it can (and most probably will) fit a crop sensor for use with the lenses, like ef-s was for ef. at that point what's the purpose of the M line?

yes, i would be in that target group. but i'm also thinking about the future, if canon decide to scrap the M line completely i'm left with something that won't get anything new and i wouldn't be able to update without throwing a ton of money out the window
If Canon scrap the M system after 5 year.we have already go our money’s worth. Then it is time to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
what do you think is the future of the EF-M mount? will it slowly vanish and be replaced with a small crop R camera?
Relax, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling. APS-C ILCs still vastly outsell FF ILCs, the M line isn't going anywhere.

will it continue as a low cost/low expectations platform and see 1 lens every 2 years (best case)?
Where do you get the idea that one lens every two years is 'best case'? The average to date has been one EF-M lens per year. Having a basic knowledge of facts can really help your credibility.

Upvote 0
Where do you get the idea that one lens every two years is 'best case'? The average to date has been one EF-M lens per year. Having a basic knowledge of facts can really help your credibility.

ok, i said 2 years since that what it's been until this new 32mm. you're right they have released lenses more often but still...8 lenses in 6 years and 1 of them discontinued...by comparison the ef mount got 23 lenses...but ef-s also got 8 and 2 of which were revisions released in the same period...

Upvote 0
I'm quite happy with my M6, 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 22mm F/2 plus adaptor.

But
i) I like it also because I could use it as a backup for my 6D body if it failed
ii) I wouldn't mind if it was a bit larger.

So, in the long run, if/when
- Canon develops an APS-C R Line (RF Mount with APS-C Sensor), and
- I replace my 6D with the current or a future R Full Frame body
then
I will switch from my M body and lenses to such APS-C R bigger and "RF compatible" body (even if the M system isn't discontinued).

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
ok, i said 2 years since that what it's been until this new 32mm. you're right they have released lenses more often but still...8 lenses in 6 years and 1 of them discontinued...by comparison the ef mount got 23 lenses...but ef-s also got 8 and 2 of which were revisions released in the same period...
Out of the 23 EF lenses, how many have you bought? how many you would like to have? As for as I am concern. I have already all the EF-M lenses that I would like to have. I am not a big fan of telephoto shooting. EF-M 18-150 is a pie in the sky for me. also I do not like to spend $500 for a plastic mount lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Exactly. EF-M is getting basically the same ‘love’ as EF-S. Also, those 23 EF lenses work on APS-C DSLRs and on EOS M bodies via the mount adapter. A smaller image circle offers advantages for certain lens designs, and those are the lenses we see in EF-S and EF-M format.

Upvote 0