Future of the M line/mount

Out of the 23 EF lenses, how many have you bought? how many you would like to have? As for as I am concern. I have already all the EF-M lenses that I would like to have. I am not a big fan of telephoto shooting. EF-M 18-150 is a pie in the sky for me. also I do not like to spend $500 for a plastic mount lens.
bought the 40mm and sold the 40mm, reluctantly, but it didn't make sense on the m5 with an adapter
bought the 24mm pancake and sold the 24 pancake because i didn't like the fl
bought 55-250 and love it on the m5, even with an adapter
i might buy the new 50 1.8 but i have the ef-s 60 now so...

EF-M is getting basically the same ‘love’ as EF-S
somehow..when i had the 70D i didn't feel so left out by canon...probably it's a subjective thing...

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
First of all, I expect Canon talk about this!
The quasi-L lens they released recently is an indication that this line would not go away.

It seems, M means Small in Canon dictionary and I'll be happy about it! I first bought an M system because it was on clearance! I stayed with M and purchased an M6 since it offers a nice balance of system size and weight versus sensor size and quality. I use my camera for outdoor activities and I want to carry less. I also like its touchscreen UI. If Canon is listening, perhaps they should release a rugged version for users like me! Now, what happens if Canon kills the M family? I have two bodies that will work for years. I can also switch to Fuji or Sony when needed.

I only have one little EF lens that I use it with the EFM adaptor (50F1.8STM). What if I want a higher quality system? It seems the mount sharing model that Canon and Nikon used to carry is done! Now everyone has to invest in separate systems. I can look at R, Z or A. Even Fuji's medium format may become a practical option. For me, it's not an immediate need so I won't act till later.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
First of all, I expect Canon talk about this!
The quasi-L lens they released recently is an indication that this line would not go away.

It seems, M means Small in Canon dictionary and I'll be happy about it! I first bought an M system because it was on clearance! I stayed with M and purchased an M6 since it offers a nice balance of system size and weight versus sensor size and quality. I use my camera for outdoor activities and I want to carry less. I also like its touchscreen UI. If Canon is listening, perhaps they should release a rugged version for users like me! Now, what happens if Canon kills the M family? I have two bodies that will work for years. I can also switch to Fuji or Sony when needed.

I only have one little EF lens that I use it with the EFM adaptor (50F1.8STM). What if I want a higher quality system? It seems the mount sharing model that Canon and Nikon used to carry is done! Now everyone has to invest in separate systems. I can look at R, Z or A. Even Fuji's medium format may become a practical option. For me, it's not an immediate need so I won't act till later.
What I got in the M system should last me a while even after Canon have abandon the M system. I have no intention to up grade to something else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0