G12 vs G10

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macfly

I just got back from my first weekend snapping with the G12, and can give a quick heads up on the user interface. It sucks! This camera is needlessly more complex and less user friendly than the G10, and some of the programming is annoying and frustrating, and that stupid front dial is a really dumb idea. Overall I'm really not impressed with it from a handling perspective.

However, it does seem to focus quicker and recharge its flash a lot quicker. Tomorrow I'll process out some files, and see how the sensor, exposure etc works. What I did this weekend was identical to a shoot two weekends ago with the G10, so it will be interesting to compare image quality.

First impressions however are this camera misses the mark as a fun, fast weekend snapper.

M

mike1052

Hi,

I've had a G10 for over a year now, and as the last post, wouldn't upgrade if you paid me a 1000€.
This is a wonderful little camera, which gives excellent results, with a quality image. i gives me wonderful professional images.
My only gripe with the G series is not having the "B" setting for long exposures, but for everything else it's the perfect companion to a DSLR (i have a 550D)
I have tried the G11 or G12@, although i have a friend who's moved up from a G10 to a G12, and he says he's not noticed a significant difference.
G10 rules for me.

Upvote 0
M

mike1052

Hi,

I've had a G10 for over a year now, and as the last post, wouldn't upgrade if you paid me a 1000€.
This is a wonderful little camera, which gives excellent results, with a quality image. i gives me wonderful professional images.
My only gripe with the G series is not having the "B" setting for long exposures, but for everything else it's the perfect companion to a DSLR (i have a 550D)
I have tried the G11 or G12@, although i have a friend who's moved up from a G10 to a G12, and he says he's not noticed a significant difference.
G10 rules for me.

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

I upgraded my wife's P&S from a 720 IS to a G11 last year. The G11 takes excellent images, and my wife likes it, but I think she still prefered the simpler 720 IS to the G series. I had a 650 IS for my teenage son, and it was also quite easy to operate.

I am totally frustrated by the tiny controls on the G11. I have big hands and fingers, and am forever pushing the wrong place on the rear control, I have to carefully and delicately place just the very tip of my finger over the right place, and even then, my finger often causes the wrong control to actuate. When I finally get it set, it does a wonderful job. I also had a S90, and with the even smaller controls, it went back very quickly, neither of us were comfortable with the tiny controls and our larger fingers.

The larger sized DSLRs fit my grip so nicely, that I can operate them much faster and easier. My hand size is probably in the 98th percentile, so I'm not typical.

There is no reason for us to even consider upgrading to the G12, we do ot use the video mode at all. I woll be interested in a larger format compact if a practical one actually happens. They are getting closer to one that I'd buy with every new model.

Upvote 0
M

macfly

Sorry for the long delay in responding, but after a couple of very frustrating weeks my verdict is that the G12 is a piece of junk. Sadly I gave my G10 to a friends kid who is just starting to learn photography. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time, especially as it never occurred to me that they'd totally mess up what was one of my favorite all time cameras so badly. If you have a G10 stick with it, seriously!

The camera is simply impossible to set up for how you want it to work. It has way too many stupid gimmicky functions, the buttons all move too easily, meaning it won't hold a setting, and worse than that it won't keep any preferences, constantly resetting itself. In 35 years of photography this is by far and away the worst camera I have ever owned, and it has put me on very high alert that future Canon products will not necessarily be better than the past ones.

Add to that I've had two weeks of aggravation for smaller files! I have no idea how you can actually regress a camera, it takes quite some talent to f'up such a great thing so badly. My G12 is going on EBay in the next few days, and I'm going to try a 4/3 from Olympus or Pano.

To say I'm disappointed is beyond an understatement, and I've also posted my displeasure on my site - www.macfly.com

I've also now rented the Nikon D3s three times in the last three weeks, and it is a much, much nicer camera to use than the EOS 1Ds Mklll, so I am now even more ready to jump ship altogether. This is not something I thought I'd ever say, as I have been all Canon all the time since 1991, but the G12 is a huge red flag, and the joy shooting with the Nikon D3s is really something.

Upvote 0
R

randywhite

In both of two camera I had used a Canon G12 for several time ago and liked it.This camera has Excellent Image Quality .The lens is very sharp with surprisingly little chromatic aberration. The G12 takes movies at 720p at 24fps or lower resolutions at 30fps with stereo sound. Easy to carry in a coat pocket and very light compared to any interchangeable lens camera. And also Fast startup time, and response to inputs.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.