G1X II- Mounting Plate.... What does canon expect us to do here??

Jun 24, 2013
Canon did a really great job with this camera. I am really impressed with IQ, AF, Ergonomics etc... except they really dropped the ball on the threaded camera mount location.

It is so close to the card/battery hatch that none of the plates out there can mount on and allow access to the hatch.

Anyone know of one (ARCA SWISS STYLE) that has the mounting hole offset to the extreme edge so that it does not need to be removed to get at the battery/card slots?

Jun 24, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
The small plates from Hejnar have holes pretty close to the edge. I have one for my EOS M (the 0.8" without ridge) that I use to mount it in my RRS clamps.

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_32

Ill look into that. It still looks like the hole is too far from the edge. There is really no real estate to work with. I may need to modify a plate, just don't want to pierce the anodization. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2013
teedidy said:
Really right stuff made a plate for the mark 1 version. I called them about the mark 2 version. They said they wanted to gauge the market before making a plate. If everyone can request it from them they are likely to produce it.

I already asked RRS about it. They informed me that they were not going to make one. Time will tell if they change their mind.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2013
Jim Saunders said:
You could put a spacer between the camera and whatever foot you like so that the door has room to open.

Jim

Thanks Jim. It would need to be a really big spacer as the hinge side is right against the plate mount. Sort of would defeat the purpose of being a small (relatively) p&s camera. Thanks for the thought.

Upvote 0
Canon1 said:
teedidy said:
Really right stuff made a plate for the mark 1 version. I called them about the mark 2 version. They said they wanted to gauge the market before making a plate. If everyone can request it from them they are likely to produce it.

I already asked RRS about it. They informed me that they were not going to make one. Time will tell if they change their mind.

I really hope that isn't true. The RRS plate for the Mark I really made the camera for me. I even assumed that Canon's redesign of the flip-out LCD was a nod to all the L-bracket fans who were put off by the swivel design of the Mark I.

On the other hand, if RRS stays out of the market, someone else will likely fill the void. Ebay and Amazon have a number of low-cost Arca products available now.

Upvote 0