G1X MK II or G5X or M3 or ...?

Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my Olympus XZ-2 with a better compact camera (probably some time after Christmas). My other cam is an EOS 60D.

Some thoughts about the cameras I consider:

a) Canon G1X Mark II (570,- €)
+ Good image quality
+ Good DoF-control (for a compact)
+ good zoom range (24-120 eq.)
- Slow (fps)
- Slow (autofocus)
- expensive EVF (250,- €)
b) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 (570,- €)
+ Fast autofocus
+ EVF
- No flash
- Unreliable AF, esp. in low light ( ??? )
- Lens: susceptible to flare
c) Canon G5X (approx. 850,- €)
- IQ below G1X II
- slow (fps & AF)
+ expensive (compared to LX100, but eq to G1X + EVF)
+ smaller
d) Canon EOS M3 (560,- € incl. 18-55 lens)
- bigger than G1X II (but in the same price range)
- slow AF compared to other ILCs
+ ILC
- expensive EVF (250,- €)
e) Olympus OM-D E-M10 (570,- € with manual 14-42 zoom)
- bigger
- not compatible with EF lenses
+ Best IQ
+ fast (AF and fps)
+ EVF
f) Sony A6000 (600,- € incl. 16-50 kit lens)
+ best-in-class ;)
- bigger
- crappy kit lens
- bad user interface ( ??? )

Of course the first question is whether I should choose a compact or an ILC (bulkier, but better IQ/performance). I'm really not sure, especially as prices are similar.

What do you think? Any comments welcome.

Regards,
Oliver

It comes down to budget and size. The G1X II is tempting because it gives a large focal length range and is compact. You can't do that with native glass for the M3 or other ILCs. If size is a greater priority, then I'd consider the G1X II or the RX100.

That said, I opted for the M3 recently. I already had other EF-M lenses, and in the US, there was a deal for the M3 + EVF for $448.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Random Orbits said:
It comes down to budget and size. The G1X II is tempting because it gives a large focal length range and is compact. You can't do that with native glass for the M3 or other ILCs. If size is a greater priority, then I'd consider the G1X II or the RX100.

That said, I opted for the M3 recently. I already had other EF-M lenses, and in the US, there was a deal for the M3 + EVF for $448.

I have a 5D MK III and a G1X II. AF on the G1X is reasonably fast, I do not see it as a issue. The IQ of the 5D MK III blows it away, but there is a much bigger investment involved.

The Sony RX100 is fine except for the 24-70mm equivalent zoom range coming up short. That is fine for some, but missing the 85mm portrait focal length is a bummer.

Upvote 0
Good choice. I looked at the G1X II and my gosh is that thing slow. Actually, for a Canon, like the G3x, G5x, G7x, and G9x, it's the norm. Size, EVF, and performance makes the RX100 III a top pick.

candc said:
Not sure what your intended use is but I have a Sony rx100iii. Its a very nice camera to take along fishing or other non-photography outings. The pop up evf is very handy at times. There are some good deals on them now at camera Canada (especially if you live in the u.s)

Upvote 0