G3X firmware update to 'fix' poor RAW performance?

To say the poor performance of the G3X in RAW is disappointing is an understatement to say the least! I was hoping to use it as a bird & wildlife camera for my wife and I. I have a dslr and 70-300L but the 600mm equivalent in a small compact body sure sounded very attractive. The other option was to get the 400lF5.6 but it has no IS and is big and bulky band secondhand it is the same price as a G3X new. and already having the EVF is another plus. But really less than one frame per second in RAW in this day and age is disgraceful!

So the question is does anyone here think the slow RAW performance can be fixed via a firmware, and if so will Canon actually do it?

2nd Question is will/can Magic Lantern bring out a fix?

Regards, Ivan

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Ivan Muller said:
2nd Question is will/can Magic Lantern bring out a fix?

The powershot and EOS firmware are very different, so ML only works on EOS firmware. But for powershot and ixus cameras you can use CHDK.
Both ML and CHDK won't fix poor performance since they extend existing canon functions instead of replacing them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Ivan
I have a lot of very good dslr kit for bird photography and use RAW 100% of the time. I bought the G3X for travel and as a lightweight alternative. The 1 fps is fine for most of the time for me. Frankly, the in-camera converted JPEGs are so good I don't bother to use RAW with it, and it will do 5.9 fps in JPEGs mode. The same wasn't true on the SX50 where RAW was essential for getting acceptable noise. You can't beat a dslr with at least 400mm for birding, but the G3 X gives very nice results.

Upvote 0
Thanks Alan,

I suppose I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it...

I have the 6D and have never been impressed with its jpeg quality. I shoot RAW 100% of the time. But the reality is also that birding is just a hobby and a new one at that and I do wildlife at most once a year and as I have the new M3 maybe that's a good place to start...

Michael Reichmann raved about the image quality of the G3X and its appeal for me would be the extraordinary reach, compact size and the fact that I already have a EVF...so maybe I should give it a try..

Upvote 0