Gear advise for portraits, product, food photography and wedding photography.

ishootbokeh

Stunning Wedding Photography, Lancashire & Beyond
JohnUSA said:
I'm also eyeing a second full frame body for weddings. Currently I'm shooting with a 5D3 and 50D/T2i as backup. Don't laugh at the the T2i, for some reason the T2i shadows can be pushed many stops without banding, it's almost like shooting a Sony sensor camera... not so with the 50D. I mainly use the 5D3 99% of the time.

Anyway after reading this thread and many more I'm going with the 6D, mainly to have a camera with an additional lens ready. Maybe next year I'll update to the 5D4 but with all the 6D rebates and my 5D3 going strong I don't feel I need to wait and upgrade to the 5D4.

Also this wedding photography couple love the 6D: http://shotkit.com/stark-photography/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

Yeah this guy really does get a lot out of his 6D bodies, fantastic work. I could browse shot kit all day!

Upvote 0
JohnUSA said:
I'm also eyeing a second full frame body for weddings. Currently I'm shooting with a 5D3 and 50D/T2i as backup. Don't laugh at the the T2i, for some reason the T2i shadows can be pushed many stops without banding, it's almost like shooting a Sony sensor camera... not so with the 50D. I mainly use the 5D3 99% of the time.

Anyway after reading this thread and many more I'm going with the 6D, mainly to have a camera with an additional lens ready. Maybe next year I'll update to the 5D4 but with all the 6D rebates and my 5D3 going strong I don't feel I need to wait and upgrade to the 5D4.

Also this wedding photography couple love the 6D: http://shotkit.com/stark-photography/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost
Whoa awesome! I'm getting more confidence in buying a 6D!

Upvote 0
ironfreak said:
JohnUSA said:
Mine just arrived minutes ago! With rebate the cost is $1150. Comes with printer, 32G card, paper and camera bag.
That's a killer price! From where did you buy? Canon doesn't give interesting deals in India :(

Wasn't sure where you lived. Purchased from BH Photo in NYC. Canon has a rebate program right now for the 6D here in the USA. $1499.00 USA for the 6D, Pro-100 Printer, 32 GB card and camera bag. After $350 rebate price is @1149.00.

I haven't had a chance to use or test yet.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ironfreak said:
Gear for portraits, product, food photography and wedding photography.

Hey all,
I’d need a bit advise from the fellow photographers. First I will state my background. I was a Nikon shooter till 2015 and owned D80 body, 18-135, 50/1.8, 70-300 VR. I was a hobby photographer and used to photograph landscape, street, portraits, etc. I started on doing business in photography by taking wedding assignments with rented gear as required. Stuck to Nikon initially, I have used D800, D7100, D7200 bodies with couple of lenses as necessary.
Some time ago, I tried hands on friend’s Canon 5D Mark III and 6D and 7D. I have really liked the Canon gear and over the time I got the chance to use 6D, 7D extensively. Now that I was relying on rental and friend’s gear for commercial work, I have decided to invest in Canon system for my future business expansion. Another reason going for Canon is that, all my friends own Canon gear, so it will be easy to exchange lenses when required.
My main subject will be fashion/model portfolio, advertising, product, food (table top) and wedding. I will also setup a small home studio.

Here is the list of gear I have decided. I think it is good to start into. Give your advise.

1) 6D + 24-105 kit
2) 70-200 F/4 IS
3) Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Vi DC Macro
4) Canon flash 430 EX III
5) Sandisk 95 MBPS 64GB SD
6) Elinchrom FRX 400 standard kit
7) Light boom stand
8) Rotalux octa (shallow or deep)
9) Backdrops with stand 8x10 (portable)

Regards

I think your gear will be fine. The 6D AF is just fine, its not up to sports, but it is very accurate, don't let someone claim it isn't. You should plan on using the center point.

For food photography, you will struggle with the 90mm lens, but you can stop way down and sacrifice some sharpness for more depth of field. You may find yourself using the 24-105.

As others mentioned, be sure to have a backup camera of some sort.

Since you have the 24-105, why not skip the 70-200 f/4 and get a 135mm f/2 for low light and portraits. It will be much more flattering.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I think your gear will be fine. The 6D AF is just fine, its not up to sports, but it is very accurate, don't let someone claim it isn't. You should plan on using the center point.

For food photography, you will struggle with the 90mm lens, but you can stop way down and sacrifice some sharpness for more depth of field. You may find yourself using the 24-105.

As others mentioned, be sure to have a backup camera of some sort.

Since you have the 24-105, why not skip the 70-200 f/4 and get a 135mm f/2 for low light and portraits. It will be much more flattering.

I loved Canon 70-200, have rented it some time ago for a wedding shoot. And its amazing for fashion/portrait shoots. It goes this article- http://digital-photography-school.com/writers-favorite-lens-70-200mm-zoom/
I thing 135mm f/2 is such a specialized prime lens offering excellent images, I look and prefer for flexibility right now since Im a beginner. So 70-200. And, macro for closed focusing ability, 1:1 magnification for product/food photography. Also I can occasionally use tamron for portraits.

Upvote 0
Here are some of my suggestions/thoughts.

100mm f2.8 L

Can be used for portrait (if a lens could be too sharp, even wide open for a portrait, this is the lens)
Wedding low light and macro(ring) shots
Food photography - the sharpness stopped down is just unbelievable, and really is a true pro grade for image quality. If you can't get a tilt lens, get this one.

50mm STM
Low light photography (this at f2 on 6D and closer focus is spectacular!) Wedding and portrait work.

2nd body - go crop, like an 80D
Why? - 1. layout for buttons/wheel will be like 6D
2. for macro shots or shots needing more DOF, this camera will be the go to.
3. decent high ISO performance with proper exposure and good post processing
4. much better AF and tracking than 6D for times when you need that.

The 80D will pair up and complement the 6D when you need faster FPS and better AF.

All my humble opinion, and your needs may vary.

Upvote 0
cpsico said:
F4 lenses struggle more to focus in really dim light. Esp the 70-200 f4 IS

Not so true with the 24-105L. I've shot a lot of events and they are more than capable. I have shot most of my images with it. An 85mm f1.8 or 50mm is more than enough. Get the stm version since the old nifty can't focus in the dark.

Upvote 0

photojoern.de

See more in http://photojoern.de
Mar 10, 2016
Berlin, Germany
photojoern.de
Hello, as a Canon shooter here´s my 5 cent to the topic:

1) 6D + 24-105 kit
It was my entry to full frame. A good combination in general, great body for landscape, but:
- the 6D has a weak focussing system, so you will be better off with a 5Dmk3 (or wait till the Mk4 comes out)
- the 24-105 f4 IS is soft in the edges. Using it for portrait is OK, but if you want it sharp all over, this lens isn´t choice nr 1.
- the 5Dmk3 has 2 slots for cards that can record simultaneously. Use it and you will always have instant backup. Just guess the drama of a corrupted card, realized after the ceremony...

2) 70-200 F/4 IS
Great lens. The f2.8 is much heavier and more expensive, but offers better boquet and better options to have background more blurry. In doubt (church) the 2.8 offers also more light / 1 stop faster.

3) Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Vi DC Macro
I own the 100mm 2.8 Macro from Canon. Not sure what you want the macro for. I would wait buying this one. Better try the 70-200 f2.8 IS II

4) Canon flash 430 EX III
I am not sure if the third party flashlights are equally good, for half the price. Better invest in 5Dmk3 rather than 6D and take two (!) flashes, Master and slave, from third party. I am not a flash pro, but one flash mounted on the camera usually gives poor, flat pictures. You will need a second flash from the side.

5) Sandisk 95 MBPS 64GB SD
Go for the 5DMk3 and buy some more cards, CF and SD, and have two slots available!

Upvote 0