Gear Help - Alaska - Bristol Bay Lodge

Bristol Bay Lodge - near Dillingham, Alaska

http://www.fishasl.com/bristol-bay-lodge/

I am hoping for some advice – I am taking my 12-year-old for a fishing trip in Alaska. I have never gone on a trip like this before. Also attending will be my business partner and his 14-year-old son. Ideally, I am hoping someone has been here before and could provide some guidance on what equipment to bring… The primary goal is certainly to spend time with my son. With that, we are going to be there for a week and my son is very used to the camera from his sports and loves the pictures. Each morning, a float plane takes us to a new river, drops us off for fishing (specifically fly fishing in waders) for the day and comes back at the end of the day to return us to the lodge. I believe two nights we camp. So the standard what gear to take and how to protect it question…

I have access to a lot of gear (trade / share with friends a lot) and I also don’t mind renting gear. I also keep everything insured but luckily have never needed to use the insurance.

Here are my initial thoughts (all canon lenses):

When fishing / away from the lodge:

• 1DX II & 70-200 f/2.8 IS II in the smallest pelican case storm case it will fit (adding 1.4 II and 2.0 II extenders if room [maybe a 24-70 II if more room?])

Additional equipment at the lodge for wildlife and landscape

• 11-24 f/4, 200-400 f/4 IS USM, & tripod (alternatively 600 f/4 II with extenders available?)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
tom

PS. I like having these types of problems... :)

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
First, sounds like a great trip.

Second, I am trying to envision fly-fishing and a 1DXii with a 70-200 f/2.8 an this does not work for me. Sure, that's a great combo but if I were in the water in waders, I don't think I'd want to be carrying that. If this is wilderness and you are comfortable with the kit in a Pelican or similar case on the shore, go for it. Despite the desire to take amazing photos, I think I'd carry one of the water-resistant P&S options while in the river.

I had an amazing photo experience in Denali and want to go back with even longer lenses to capture the wildlife. I just can't see standing in a river with them. Sorry if I am missing something, but that's what popped into my head.

Obviously, the equipment list you've got is wonderful. I never handled the 200-400 but know someone who got incredible images (in Alaska, BTW), with one.

JPAZ

Upvote 0
JPAZ said:
First, sounds like a great trip.

Second, I am trying to envision fly-fishing and a 1DXii with a 70-200 f/2.8 an this does not work for me. Sure, that's a great combo but if I were in the water in waders, I don't think I'd want to be carrying that. If this is wilderness and you are comfortable with the kit in a Pelican or similar case on the shore, go for it. Despite the desire to take amazing photos, I think I'd carry one of the water-resistant P&S options while in the river.

I had an amazing photo experience in Denali and want to go back with even longer lenses to capture the wildlife. I just can't see standing in a river with them. Sorry if I am missing something, but that's what popped into my head.

Obviously, the equipment list you've got is wonderful. I never handled the 200-400 but know someone who got incredible images (in Alaska, BTW), with one.

JPAZ

Thanks JPAZ. I get so caught up in taking "that great picture" sometimes I forget about my canon D20... I just checked and it fits in my waders perfectly. I might just bring it on the first day and then bring the other gear on later days if it works, and if not, I will just stick with the D20...

Thanks again for the feedback

Upvote 0
fish_shooter said:
I regularly walk around Alaskan streams carrying camera gear - for an all day excursion I would recommend a waterproof backpack. Lowepro makes some.

I took the attached shot of spawning salmon while standing in the stream wearing waders.

What a cool picture... Thanks for the direction on the waterproof backpacks (a lot cleaner solution then a pelican case :D) Do you have any other Alaska fishing pictures you can share to help wet my appetite?

Thanks again for the feedback!
tom

Upvote 0
I don't fly fish but I do a fair amount of run&gun where it's wet. Pelican case? No. Backpack? Maybe but probably not (can't get to gear worth a damn while wearing). I would recommend a messenger style bag with a safety strap. As for lens, I routinely use the 70-200 f2.8 and more recently a 11-24 f4. Maybe consider the 18-135 for in between. Don't let the "kit lens" stigma deter you from this lens- it's very good for what it is.

Upvote 0