Generic Battery for 1DX Mark II?

Mar 25, 2011
If you just need them for a one time use, can you rent them? In the US, I believe Lens rentals will rent them.

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon-lp-e4n-battery

I bought a external battery adapter to use with my Canon 7.2V bodies called a case relay. It uses a common low cost 5V USB external battery, and boosts the voltage to 7.2V to power a camera. It has a small internal battery that will keep a camera going while the large battery is being changed out. This allows use of a camera for much longer periods with large low cost batteries. I don't think they are available for the higher voltage camera though, and they do impact portability.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
uxr51 said:
I need them for 3 weeks for a camping trip. 1 Use. Renting them is around 50 USD each. Generic ones run around 26 usd and I get to keep them.

They should last that long, be careful about putting 7 high power batteries together, if one overheats, it can take out all of them, and a huge fire might result. I'd stick to batteries from a actual company rather than ebay sellers or Amazon sellers from China.

Wasabi is the only one I recognize on Amazon that has a actual company behind it. $60 ea, but the battery will be more likely to work and last for a while. I don't believe the higher capacity though, the only way to do that is to cheapen the battery construction.

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-EOS-1D-EOS-1Ds/dp/B001K26D8K/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1504041264&sr=1-5&keywords=lp-e4

You might check out this article, they bought some of the batteries from Amazon, you get what you pay for, so if you need 7 real batteries, buy twice that many of the junk ones.

Notice the Kastar battery below. Excellent Reviews (By Who?) but less than 1/3 the advertised capacity. And, If you need help, go to their website:

"Reported Attack Page!

This web page at kastarusa.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners. "

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/10/28/counterfeit-battery-fakes-with-risks

"It's not uncommon to see third-party batteries advertised with much greater capacity than the manufacturer's own products. This is a sure giveaway that the seller isn't to be trusted. For instance, the official capacity of a Canon LP-E8 is 1120 mAh. A third-party battery claiming 1200 mAh might be barely believable, but 1,300 mAh probably isn't. The Kastar batteries shown in the Amazon screenshot below can't possibly deliver 2,100 mAh. I was curious, so ordered a pair of them, to see how they actually performed. Sure enough, they tested out at only about 680 mAh, vs the 1120 mAh of the official products, never mind the 2100 mAh they were claiming.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2016
Update to the post: I did find a battery that works. The LP- E4 DSTE battery sold on Amazon works but with the following 3 issues:

1.- It will first ask if the battery has a Canon logo, press NO. Then it asks if you are sure you want to use it, press YES.

2.- You will not know how much battery is left, it displays as empty, but it works fine until it runs out of power.

3.- Burst mode in highest speed only works for like 2 seconds then the camera shuts off. Any other lower speed is fine. Same thing with video at 4k 60p only works for like 10 seconds. Rest of video modes are unaffected.

Upvote 0