Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Reactions: Michael Clark

TomR

EOS 90D
Jun 9, 2020
But it's only an opinion. A clickbaity one, at that. Do we have any reason to assume he knows something nobody else does?
He does super technical videos on youtube, have you seen them?

I trust him.

Also what click bait? There's not link to bait

TomR

EOS 90D
Jun 9, 2020
He is a sony fanboy. He lies a lot about canon. I blocked him a long time ago in youtube.
Yeah his favorite camera is the c300 III so you're just making shit up.

Meanwhile silence from Canon on the matter, makes you wonder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramage

Ramage

EOS R5
Aug 27, 2019
Gerald's reviews are outstanding IMO, he is one of my go to you-tubers for quality non bias reviews. I am the BIGGEST Canon Fan boy but I am also a technophile and Gerald knows his stuff.

davidhfe

EOS RP
Sep 9, 2015
But it's only an opinion. A clickbaity one, at that. Do we have any reason to assume he knows something nobody else does?

And does it matter anyway? The results from the cameras look fantastic regardless of how it gets there.
He's got 1:1 crops for each and they show a pretty significant difference that didn't show up in DPR's 'real world' footage. The samples are more important than the mode. My understanding of binning is that you'd be more likely to see a better SNR, at the expense of sharpness. His test shot looks both soft and noisier.

I would also very much like to see the S35 mode 5.1K. I'm also not much of a video shooter so it's all gravy to me.

davidhfe

EOS RP
Sep 9, 2015
He's also got a clip of a Atomos for recording 4K HQ for more than an hour before hitting the thermal limit. I would not have expected this (and am on record in another thread being skeptical that it'd be the case) but am happy to be wrong.

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020

Standard 4K looks worst than 4K HQ of course. about the method that canon use in their standard 4K i think i would agree with gerald. there is little jaggies on the lighting pole which is a sign of line skipping. but its okay i guess, cause canon give us some alternative to work with.

Nov 12, 2016
Yeah I agree with adigoks. So what if standard 4K is not that great? They gave us a whole separate mode to use that's higher quality.

Ok, it might overheat when using this mode, but in that case it sounds like you guys are more angry at physics than you are at Canon.

Reactions: Rule556 and Ramage

davidhfe

EOS RP
Sep 9, 2015

Standard 4K looks worst than 4K HQ of course. about the method that canon use in their standard 4K i think i would agree with gerald. there is little jaggies on the lighting pole which is a sign of line skipping. but its okay i guess, cause canon give us some alternative to work with.
Two alternatives, really: The 5.1K APS-C/super 35 mode looks really great as well. I'd love to see a 5.1K RAW option here.

Ramage

EOS R5
Aug 27, 2019
The Atomos results are also to my liking as really prefer the codex on the Ninja V.