Getting USA warranty Lens serviced in Japan

I dropped my 10-22mm lens that I just got a few months ago and it seems the focusing on the right hand side of the lens is completely off. Was wondering two things, the first is if this would be covered under the normal warranty because I dropped. Secondly, would the canon repair shop honor a USA warranty here in Japan or will I have to send it back to the USA to get repaired?

S

sammy

Danack said:
squarebox said:
if this would be covered under the normal warranty because I dropped.

No, it won't be covered. Warranties are only for flaws in manufacturing, it's not insurance against accidents.
That would be right. One thing I've wondered though is do Canon (at a cost) do repairs on foreign cameras, I saw something that seemed to make me think they wouldn't but it didn't seem to make sense they wouldn't do paid repairs to cameras from another country.

Upvote 0
sammy said:
Danack said:
squarebox said:
if this would be covered under the normal warranty because I dropped.

No, it won't be covered. Warranties are only for flaws in manufacturing, it's not insurance against accidents.
That would be right. One thing I've wondered though is do Canon (at a cost) do repairs on foreign cameras, I saw something that seemed to make me think they wouldn't but it didn't seem to make sense they wouldn't do paid repairs to cameras from another country.

Just dropped my lens off at the canon service center, will cost about 15,000 yen to fix at the most. It seems one of the elements got out of place when i dropped it. But they had no problems servicing a USA lens. And like it was mentioned here, because i dropped it wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Upvote 0
W

willrobb

squarebox said:
So wow, i'm just amazed at canon service.

Dropped it off on the 5th and 3 business days later i get a call saying that my lens is all fixed and ready for pick up.

The canon service ceneters here in Ginza and Shinjuku are really great (I always find the Ginza one quieter by the way). They will fix anything, always do it quicker than they say they will and it usually costs less than they quote. Got to love that service :)

Upvote 0