Gitzo Mini Traveler Tripod Arca Clamp

Jemlnlx

Itchy shutter finger...
CR Pro
Just wanted to post on my experience replacing the clamp on the Gitzo Mini Traveler Tabletop Tripod.

I loved the tripod, but would have loved for it to include a compact arca swiss clamp. I researched and saw that it was possible to swap out the current fixed clamp for a compact arca one.

I ended up using the Sunwayfoto DDC-26L which costs $20 and it a solid clamp. (I've used Sunwayfoto products in the past and have been happy with the value and quality...)

The original stock Gitzo fixed plate can be unscrewed...though there is some glue there so be careful when unscrewing. I then screwed on the DDC-26L clamp using the 1/4" - 3/8" adapter but found that the threading screw from the tripod protruded a bit above the clamp, which would make mounting an arca-swiss plate difficult...So, I ended up adding two generic small washers at the base of the tripod's threading screw to raise the height a little bit and it worked like a charm.

I think this is a great option to get a compact and cheap arca clamp onto this tripod. I will say that though the clamp was solid for my Canon R5 w/ 15-35mm RF f/2.8, the tripod's ball head could be moved pretty easily...I am sure it is good enough to get some long exposures on but any sort of pressure will move the camera...after all, the tripod is rated with a support load of 6.1 lbs...my combo weighs under 4 lbs...

Hope this helps...

Photos here: https://www.reddit.com/user/jemlnlx/comments/qej27w/gitzo_traveler_tripod_mini_fixed_plate_replaced/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Just wanted to post on my experience replacing the clamp on the Gitzo Mini Traveler Tabletop Tripod.

I loved the tripod, but would have loved for it to include a compact arca swiss clamp. I researched and saw that it was possible to swap out the current fixed clamp for a compact arca one.

I ended up using the Sunwayfoto DDC-26L which costs $20 and it a solid clamp. (I've used Sunwayfoto products in the past and have been happy with the value and quality...)

The original stock Gitzo fixed plate can be unscrewed...though there is some glue there so be careful when unscrewing. I then screwed on the DDC-26L clamp using the 1/4" - 3/8" adapter but found that the threading screw from the tripod protruded a bit above the clamp, which would make mounting an arca-swiss plate difficult...So, I ended up adding two generic small washers at the base of the tripod's threading screw to raise the height a little bit and it worked like a charm.

I think this is a great option to get a compact and cheap arca clamp onto this tripod. I will say that though the clamp was solid for my Canon R5 w/ 15-35mm RF f/2.8, the tripod's ball head could be moved pretty easily...I am sure it is good enough to get some long exposures on but any sort of pressure will move the camera...after all, the tripod is rated with a support load of 6.1 lbs...my combo weighs under 4 lbs...

Hope this helps...

Photos here: https://www.reddit.com/user/jemlnlx/comments/qej27w/gitzo_traveler_tripod_mini_fixed_plate_replaced/
Hi Jeminix.
A good job, I have swapped out various proprietary mounts for Arca Swiss. I think if I was doing it and expected it to be permanent I would have just sawn the excess thread off rather than pack it up with washers.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0