Going back into video for fun.

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As my grandson is starting to get older (3) I have been toying with the idea of making and editing video with my EOS R. To get decent audio I'll need a mic. I also want a cage. I might, eventually, add an Atmos recorder. Maybe even an LED video light I can also mount on the cage for indoors. I think I am on the right track with things, but maybe I am overlooking something I should know and don't. Editing would be done in Adobe Premier Pro because I already have it.

Equipment wise I am looking at getting this mic and cage:

Rode Microphones VideoMic Pro+ Directional
https://www.adorama.com/rdvidmicppd.html

8Sinn Canon EOS R Cage and Top Handle Scorpio
https://www.adorama.com/8s8csrcthsv2.html

I am pretty sure about the cage choice, but not exactly sure about the mic. Is a directional shotgun style mic the way I should be going? Audio in the videos would be mostly of him talking to his grandmother and then music dubbed in.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Mar 25, 2011
Lighting is going to be the first thing you want. A off camera mic with boom will avoid having the sound change as you move around, or wireless lapel mics. A cheap digital audio recorder will let you add in sound even if you cross fade to a 2nd video source, it adds flexability by not being tied to the one video stream.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Lighting is going to be the first thing you want. A off camera mic with boom will avoid having the sound change as you move around, or wireless lapel mics. A cheap digital audio recorder will let you add in sound even if you cross fade to a 2nd video source, it adds flexability by not being tied to the one video stream. I stopped doing video years ago, the cost of the camera is nothing, its all the accessories that kill you.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Lighting is going to be the first thing you want. A off camera mic with boom will avoid having the sound change as you move around, or wireless lapel mics. A cheap digital audio recorder will let you add in sound even if you cross fade to a 2nd video source, it adds flexability by not being tied to the one video stream.

I already have wireless lapel mics I could use that are pretty good, but I don't think this 3 year old will stand for it. ;) That's why I asked about a shotgun mic as a possibility until he gets old enough to not want to take everything off. I also still have two very nice RODE microphones from my youtube/google+ days, but they have to hook into phantom power via XLR cables and then directly into my PC from there. I had a Vlogging setup.

I guess I could always use the modeling lights on my Flashpoint flashes for when we are in a single room. The little battery powered on camera led panels seem pretty nifty for following him around. Our apartment is tiny at just barely over 600 sq. ft., so setting up off camera lighting would be cumbersome to get around. There just isn't the room for it. That's the main reason I go for fast lenses.

Outdoors, I probably won't ever need lighting.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I’m using a røde video micro and a smallrig cage or L bracket. The video micro is for making short clips of my kids (nearly 4 and 1.5 yo). The cage is mostly for big lenses or attaching extra lights to make focusing easier for macro.
I haven’t run into the limitations of those yet :)

This year I’ve been attending a few workshops and noticed that having decent video of things like dragonflies is a nice addition to the pictures. I’m really looking forward to having IBIS, having the horizon roll is annoying to watch.

I wonder if I can combine the two, have dragonflies land on my kids...

Upvote 0