Good Wireless Lavalier Mics and Set Up

When I shoot video interviews I use my 1D X, Tascam DR-60D mounted on top and a couple of Audio Technica AT-831b Cardioid Condenser Lavalier Mics.

This works fine when I am in a controlled setting, but there are times when I need more flexibility and less wires, which is why I am looking for two good quality wireless mics so that I can move around (an exhibition or other event for example) and set up a quick shoot relatively easily without having to carry the mic cables etc.

Ideally I would like a very small and light receiver (can one pick up sound from both mics?) that can sit on top of the Tascam DR-60D so that I can move around without having to unplug everything etc. If the receiver could work with three mics that would be even better for those times when a three-way interview has to be done.

What do you recommend please?

Thank you.

Thanks, Abn0021. I must say the Sennheiser G3 system does look good, and everyone knows the quality you get with Sennheiser so there are no worries there. I did watch a couple of videos about them, and it looks very easy to mount one receiver on top of the camera (or in my case on top of the Tascam DR-60D which is sitting on top of the camera) but how would you mount two receivers on top of each other?

All my vid interviews would require a min of two receivers for the two mics being used. Am I missing, or not understanding something?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
The ew112s have a belt clip on the reciever and transmitter too, its this belt clip that the camera clip slots underneath, so you could clip the packs to your camera strap, or it may be worth you looking at a small rig or cage set up that will offer you more mounting options, such as...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EHCR6M2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3/278-5604169-1704934?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1DVB0EXY5B6EFC0DBQPM&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B008UNAK0E

Upvote 0
Thanks, Tinky and Dustin.

I had looked at the Rode when it was announced and it does seem like a nice system on paper.

Is there not a wireless lav mic system where I can use just one receiver and stick that on top of the Tascam (which sits on my camera) and then get audio from 2, 3 or even perhaps 4 mics to it (though my biggest interviews are 3-way and most are just 2)?

I do not mind spending for a good solution, but I just want to keep it as simple as possible. One receiver that can record simultaneously 2 or 3 (maybe 4 mics max).

Upvote 0
No, you need seperate frequencies for each wireless head to maintain discreet channels.
You want discreet channels at the mixer stage, although a good sound recordist can will be able to give you a good two-channel output from 3 or 4 sources for your camera using something like an SQN field mixer.

It's good to have seperate channels. If you fling them all together then you have no way of lowering the booming voice without also lowering the quiet voice etc.

Good sound is very often more expensive and harder to achieve than good video.

Upvote 0
Like said above, you want (need) multiple frequencies for each source. If you are shooting a large conference with a lot of media coverage, you might want to check in with the media department and get a specific frequency assigned to you.

To settle your unease a little, on multiple occasions I've have 2 receivers and an H4N recorder balanced in one hand while monitoring a locked off camera. I've also put the receivers into a small pocket in a backpack, and had the recorder outside or just headphones coming out of a zipper. This really works if you've got good audio levels you don't need to monitor too closely.

The new Rode ones look really promising, but no one knows for sure, they arent out yet, and the g3 system is the gold standard for wireless systems.

Upvote 0
OK thanks, Tinky and Abn2001. Sounds like I will just shell out for two units, I had hoped with new technology you could get something small enough (like a set) with two or three receivers built into one small unit.

The main purpose it to make it easier to move around at events etc., and quicker to set up. The XLR wires get in the way and make it all that more cumbersome to carry around. With a wireless set up I could wear mine all the time and hooking up the other person would be very simple, as would moving from one to another.

Thanks for all your input, really appreciate it.

Upvote 0