Grand Canyon

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ray.
Best advice I can give is make sure you see a sunset and sunrise, both are spectacular. We stayed in a lodge in the park overnight to allow us to do this. Also the helicopter flight over the canyon is a great experience, they tell you where to sit for weight distribution but if you get a window it is a great photo opportunity, only thing is I wish I'd had one of these to stop getting photos of the other passengers.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenskirt-/321898308599?hash=item4af2a263f7:g:ItMAAOSw5VFWJfX2

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Definitely swing by Sedona if you have the opportunity ... cool little town. Stop into the Coffee Pot Restaurant for breakfast.

As noted, many of the best photo ops are just after sunrise and just before sunset, but my personal favorite Grand Canyon shot was of my wife at midmorning:

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
ray5 said:
Thanks.
If I were not hiking to the river, are 2 nights and days enough to see the focal points at the south rim?

see or photograph? Weather can make or break the image so the more time you have the better the chance of a stellar image. Plus if you want night sky, pick your dates carefully.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
RGF said:
ray5 said:
Thanks.
If I were not hiking to the river, are 2 nights and days enough to see the focal points at the south rim?

see or photograph? Weather can make or break the image so the more time you have the better the chance of a stellar image. Plus if you want night sky, pick your dates carefully.
Mainly to see but can't travel without my gear ;D. Unlike Yellowstone and Yosemite it seems there not many SPECIFIC points to shoot?

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
JonAustin said:
Definitely swing by Sedona if you have the opportunity ... cool little town. Stop into the Coffee Pot Restaurant for breakfast.

As noted, many of the best photo ops are just after sunrise and just before sunset, but my personal favorite Grand Canyon shot was of my wife at midmorning:

I am really liking Sedona, so may not stay overnight but maybe get sunset shots and then head up to Grand Canyon. Thx

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
ray5 said:
Unlike Yellowstone and Yosemite it seems there not many SPECIFIC points to shoot?

The Grand Canyon is so vast, and there are so many amazing vantage points, that it would be nearly impossible to list all the great spots to shoot. You can't cover it all anyway, so just pick a couple of trails and fire away.

Enjoy your visit!

Upvote 0