Green cast in photos taken on a Canan R5 at high ISO

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Hi, I have noticed that when shooting at high ISO, 51.2K or 32K, there is a green cast that shows up on the image and other colors don't show up as much. I find it hard to reduce it. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to reduce the amount of green in the photo. So far, I have simply made them B&W and left it at that. Please see the attached image which is an example image shot at 51200 ISO.

Attachments

• Example of green cast at high ISO on a R5.jpg
    Example of green cast at high ISO on a R5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
I find that at egregiously-high ISOs *in poor light* I too will see a green cast sometimes. For my uses, I see this most often when shooting kids' plays. It is often not consistent across the frame in these situations (stage lights), so correcting can be annoying too. I suspect some of the stage lights (which may also be present in the picture you showed) are LEDs, and some of this can be mitigated with the anti-flicker feature, which I never have turned on.

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
It seems to me that there is probably no very high resolution sensor that is free from this problem.

Possible solution to this problem:

I am seeing magenta tint at lower ISOs and green tint at very high ISOs. At some point they change color. Also my tint slider is at 20 something when I open the RAW files in Adobe PS. For these files i brought it back to zero.

I wonder how it looks in cameras of other brands such as Nikon, Sony or Panasonic.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
I find that at egregiously-high ISOs *in poor light* I too will see a green cast sometimes. For my uses, I see this most often when shooting kids' plays. It is often not consistent across the frame in these situations (stage lights), so correcting can be annoying too. I suspect some of the stage lights (which may also be present in the picture you showed) are LEDs, and some of this can be mitigated with the anti-flicker feature, which I never have turned on.
Shooting at 51.2K ISO happened as I was photographing in the Ellora Caves. You are not allowed any artificial light. You are not allowed to carry a tripod! :(

So I set shooting to manual with Auto ISO (and set the max ISO to 51.2K) and shot the pictures. My earlier cameras were 5D3 and 7D2 and the noise at 51.2K for the R5 was so much less that these pics are usable. I shall be raising the max limit and checking the next time I get a chance.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
It seems to me that there is probably no very high resolution sensor that is free from this problem.

Possible solution to this problem:

I wonder how it looks in cameras of other brands such as Nikon, Sony or Panasonic.
Maybe which is why Pentax K-3 Mark III Monochrome is only B&W! no color noise or color cast! Ha! HA! HA!

Upvote 0
You didn't mention it, but I consider that almost Moiré-like noise pattern as more distracting and image damaging than that greenish color cast. For this the culrprit is Lightroom's Lens Correction or more precisely it's Distortion Slider. I doubt this will also affect your color cast, but it's worth a try.

Have you tried the White Balance Tint Slider to at least weaken the greenish hue?

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
You didn't mention it, but I consider that almost Moiré-like noise pattern as more distracting and image damaging than that greenish color cast. For this the culrprit is Lightroom's Lens Correction or more precisely it's Distortion Slider. I doubt this will also affect your color cast, but it's worth a try.

Have you tried the White Balance Tint Slider to at least weaken the greenish hue?
OK, I will look at the base CR3 without lens correction for any difference in noise when I disable lens correction in my LR import. I have set that as default...

Thanks.

Upvote 0