Guilty pleasures ??

Jan 21, 2022
@Doormat

Some people sell their extra stuff, some people keep it.
Send an unused body to one of the used gear websites.
Maybe you will get excited when they send you money.
Either that, or open a museum…. :)
If I could find a way to sell for a fair price I would. I daren’t use eBay anymore, scammers paradise that place.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If I could find a way to sell for a fair price I would. I daren’t use eBay anymore, scammers paradise that place.
What is a 'fair price'? Old, used cameras aren't worth much (unless they're really old). If MPB/KEH will give you a few $/£/€ for it, and they'll pay the shipping, why hang onto it?

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Shall I fess up <gulp>
31 bodies plus a pair of powershots (G16/12)
I honestly don’t know how that happened.
Way way way too much….and then some.

For context the oldest model is a pair of 400d’s, the newest M6ii or RP

A pair of 6d’s
Three 5diii’s ??? (god knows!!)
6dii
7d/7dii
70/80d
SL1/2
Virtually ALL the M models
Etc etc etc…..

Most are boxed, with very little shutter count.
Yes, I have a problem it seems.

My lens problem dwarfs this!!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Bodies... Just one. Out with the old, in with the new.

Previously I was on EF-S (with only a few EF STM lenses), then went to R, got some RF glass, sold all my EF-S/EF gear, got the R5, sold the R.

If I happen to get a R3, R5ii, or R1... I would seriously consider keeping the R5. But with my previous upgrades, the new overshadowed the old... where I would no longer touch the old w/ a 10ft pole.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Shall I fess up <gulp>
31 bodies plus a pair of powershots (G16/12)
I honestly don’t know how that happened.
Way way way too much….and then some.

Did you buy those 31 bodies new, or do you come across a good deal on used gear then buy it even if you don't plan to use it?

I've got: Canon SX100 IS, SX40 HS, SX710 HS, 700D, M5, 90D, 6D.

If I tried to sell the SX100 IS it would sell for so little it probably wouldn't be worth the time haha. I've been thinking of selling the SX40 and 700D but never got around to it.

Upvote 0
Did you buy those 31 bodies new, or do you come across a good deal on used gear then buy it even if you don't plan to use it?

I've got: Canon SX100 IS, SX40 HS, SX710 HS, 700D, M5, 90D, 6D.

If I tried to sell the SX100 IS it would sell for so little it probably wouldn't be worth the time haha. I've been thinking of selling the SX40 and 700D but never got around to it.
No they were all off eBay
The irony is 5yrs ago I didn’t even own a dslr. I made do with a Sony compact.
A work colleague persuaded me to go urbexing with him. So I bought a used 5dc, the mirror fell out so whilst it was being repaired I bought a 7d, started taking shots of my son playing football, got frustrated so moved to the 7dii, then began dreaming of videoing his matches, so bought the 70d and so on and so on.

I often think I’ll try a certain camera either because of sensor size, physical size, AF etc etc. I then check eBay completed listings. Find the cheapest that has sold recently- that then becomes my benchmark, I won’t pay more. Usually I hit the seller with my offer regardless if it’s 99p start. 9/10 I get the camera I only buy boxed, low shutter count unless ridiculously cheap.

It’s got out of hand I admit. I’ll find a way to cut back.

Upvote 0
You have two choices:
* Your 31 bodies, or
* An R5.
Which do you pick ?

They're worth about the same amount of money, if you sell the bodies to MPB or KEH.
Definitely not the R5
I don’t need 45mp, nor do I relish walking about with £3.5k body and probably £2k lens.

I get a kick out of seeing what these old sensors can do.

A while ago I put my 400d against my 80d using same lens (200/2.8Lii) the subject was still life. Used identical settings. I could barely tell them apart.

But, I DO have way too much and will cut back.
It’s been fun tho’

Upvote 0
You have two choices:
* Your 31 bodies, or
* An R5.
Which do you pick ?

They're worth about the same amount of money, if you sell the bodies to MPB or KEH.

That is a good idea, or they could even get some lenses instead.

No they were all off eBay
The irony is 5yrs ago I didn’t even own a dslr. I made do with a Sony compact.
A work colleague persuaded me to go urbexing with him. So I bought a used 5dc, the mirror fell out so whilst it was being repaired I bought a 7d, started taking shots of my son playing football, got frustrated so moved to the 7dii, then began dreaming of videoing his matches, so bought the 70d and so on and so on.

I often think I’ll try a certain camera either because of sensor size, physical size, AF etc etc. I then check eBay completed listings. Find the cheapest that has sold recently- that then becomes my benchmark, I won’t pay more. Usually I hit the seller with my offer regardless if it’s 99p start. 9/10 I get the camera I only buy boxed, low shutter count unless ridiculously cheap.

It’s got out of hand I admit. I’ll find a way to cut back.

I got a great used deal on my M5 and 6D, I love a good bargin, most of my lenses are used as well. Do you also collect lenses? Maybe you could sell some cameras you don't use and buy some lenses that you would want to use?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I get a kick out of seeing what these old sensors can do.

A while ago I put my 400d against my 80d using same lens (200/2.8Lii) the subject was still life. Used identical settings. I could barely tell them apart.
That’s not surprising, because the advantages of both newer and larger sensors are far more evident in challenging situation than in easy ones. If there’s plenty of light hitting the sensor (whether that’s because it’s bright or because your subject is not moving and a long shutter speed can be used), it’s tough to tell the difference between even an iPhone and a full frame camera. That’s even more true now that computational photography allows subject isolation mimicking a wide aperture with a large sensor.

It’s when there’s less available light (whether it’s dim, or you need a fast shutter speed) that the differences become far more evident.

Similarly, much of the improvement in cameras over the past decade has been in the area of autofocus performance and frame rate, neither of which matter for a still life image.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That is a good idea, or they could even get some lenses instead.

Do you also collect lenses? Maybe you could sell some cameras you don't use and buy some lenses that you would want to use?
Well I’m not really a collector more like hoarder, trying different cameras
Lenses?? I have more than 100 canon lenses…oops
All STM’s, all M series. A dozen L’s
Lots of Primes and the rest are zooms.

As I say, it got slightly out of hand - lol

Upvote 0