Hands on with the EOS-M at Photoplus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a chance to check out the EOS-M with the 22mm, 18-55 EF-M zoom, and the EF Mount adapter with a 24-70 II. It handles fine with the 22 prime but for a longtime DSLR user, it felt awkward to zoom manually without a viewfinder. I know it's not for me; shooting through the LCD display makes composition harder and I had quite a bit more handshake holding the camera away from my face.

Jan 21, 2011
tiger82 said:
I had a chance to check out the EOS-M with the 22mm, 18-55 EF-M zoom, and the EF Mount adapter with a 24-70 II. It handles fine with the 22 prime but for a longtime DSLR user, it felt awkward to zoom manually without a viewfinder. I know it's not for me; shooting through the LCD display makes composition harder and I had quite a bit more handshake holding the camera away from my face.

The lack of an eye-level (electronic) viewfinder is a challenge for me - no being able to brace the camera properly. Hopefully Canon will in due course launch a mirrorless body with an EVF (and hopefully a next gen APS-C sensor). I have no inclination to buy another camera based around the current 18MP APS-C sensor.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
gmrza said:
tiger82 said:

The lack of an eye-level (electronic) viewfinder is a challenge for me - no being able to brace the camera properly. Hopefully Canon will in due course launch a mirrorless body with an EVF (and hopefully a next gen APS-C sensor). I have no inclination to buy another camera based around the current 18MP APS-C sensor.

I wouldn't look at a mirrorless Canon until it has quality EVF. While the little tunnel optical viewfinder on the G-Series is a piece of rubbish, it's still preferable to composing and shooting with the camera at arms length like an iPhone. Errgh. Years ago I had a little Canon S3is P&S with an EVF. As far as EVF's go it was seriously entry level, but I didn't mind it at all.

I'd expect EVF's to mature pretty quickly to a point where they will be preferable to a DSLR optical viewfinder.

-PW

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I finally got to use it today (with the 22mm "pancake" lens). Outstanding IQ! Can't tell the difference between it and my 60D/40 2.8. Honestly, it's that good...

Such a small, nonthreatening package. I can imagine bringing this to venues that might not allow DSLRs/big lenses and STILL be able to get high-quality shots.

AF seems to be on par with my P&S. Occasionally I notice it has a habit of hunting for several seconds before locking focus but most of the time it's actually reasonable. Even in a pitch black room I was able to focus in a little over a second, which is better than I feared. (My 60D in live view is completely nonfunctional in a similar situation) Where it loses in speed, though, it makes up for in accuracy. No front or back-focus to worry about- it's spot on every time.

For what I'll be using it for, it's good enough. If I need fast I've got the 5DIII anyway.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.