Has Canon axed their Canon EOS R7 C plans? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last year we reported that a Canon EOS R7 C was in the pipeline and likely for 2023. An APS-C cinema camera seemed like a nice new direction for Canon. Unfortunately, we have been told recently that the project was scrapped in late 2022. One of our known sources did suggest that Canon has simply

See full article...

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
A sports/wildlife camera with APS-C "reach" and decent 4K, at an affordable price. Sounded like a great idea to me.

Perhaps big C has decided to go the vlogging route instead, to keep the youtube narcissist brigade happy instead?

More profitable for Canon, more disappointment for serious Canon users... or am I being too harsh?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
"much faster readout" would probably equate to stacked BSI sensor and much higher price than R7...
R7 is lazy low effort money grab from Canon and compared to Fuji XH2 yeah expecting a BSI sensor at the very least for the asking price was bare minimum. Also APS-C sensor should have better read out speed than FF cameras unlike R7 which is one of the slowest readout speeds.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
R7 is lazy low effort money grab from Canon and compared to Fuji XH2 yeah expecting a BSI sensor at the very least for the asking price was bare minimum.
The XH2 costs 50% more than the R7 here, I bet most of it is due to the more expensive sensor and a bit of Fuji tax. Or putting it differently: I can buy an R7 plus an M6II for the price of a single XH2. I can't figure out why you expect something that is so very much cheaper have a stacked sensor.
Also APS-C sensor should have better read out speed than FF cameras unlike R7 which is one of the slowest readout speeds.
People keep saying that, but it isn't physical size that makes things slower, it's the number or rows. So for a given generation of sensors, a 32MP sensor will take longer to read than a 24MP one, irrespective of their physical sizes.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The XH2 costs 50% more than the R7 here, I bet most of it is due to the more expensive sensor and a bit of Fuji tax. Or putting it differently: I can buy an R7 plus an M6II for the price of a single XH2. I can't figure out why you expect something that is so very much cheaper have a stacked sensor.

People keep saying that, but it isn't physical size that makes things slower, it's the number or rows. So for a given generation of sensors, a 32MP sensor will take longer to read than a 24MP one, irrespective of their physical sizes.
Unrealistic expectations and a lack of understanding often seem to go hand-in-hand.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Unrealistic expectations and a lack of understanding often seem to go hand-in-hand.
I do keep hoping that my R8 turns out to have an R3 sensor, not an R6II sensor :) Now that I'm starting to use the focus-stacking feature a lot more, I wish ES could use flash, like it can on the R3.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I do keep hoping that my R8 turns out to have an R3 sensor, not an R6II sensor :) Now that I'm starting to use the focus-stacking feature a lot more, I wish ES could use flash, like it can on the R3.
Wait, what?!? But it’s a 24 MP sensor! I thought the R8 was just a travel version of the R3. What a cheap money-grab by Canon. ;)

I just hope my R8 ships next week.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
So let's see we heard constant complaining about the lack of an R7, to the point where some people were hating on the M series because they perceived it as a threat to their chances of seeing an R7.

So now that we have it, I'm seeing little here but complaints about it.
It's one of those slightly quirky cameras that polarizes opinions.

I know that @AlanF uses one for BIF and seems to regard it highly. One of my butterfly photography pals also has one and also rates it very highly. On the other hand, one of the people I met on a recent safari bought one and quickly sold it, considering it to be too small and the controls too cramped.

I considered getting an R7 as a backup to my R5, but have decided to wait until the R5 price drops further, and will then get a second R5 body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
With all due respect but it seems that CR has been swinging and missing a lot lately.
I don't think it is CR guy who is "swinging and missing" lately. I believe Canon is doing a really good job of keeping everybody to shut up. In addition, I believe in 2019/ 2020 let the "road map" slip on purpose to CR and other forums. That way, people "kind of knew" what to expect without being able to hold Canon accountable. By not publishing an official road map, they were/ are able to decide up to the start of production which way they'd like to go with a lens. For example: The rumor mill suggested the RF version and follow-up of the EF 100-400mm L "will have a greater range." Suddenly, patents of a 70-400mm surfaced but Canon managed to surprise us with the magnificent RF 100-500mm. Also, they had more surprises up their sleeves such as the dual-fisheye RF5.2mm

In 2023, Canon is in a position of not needing to let people know what's coming because there are plenty of options already. Just look the UWA options... 16mm, 14-35mm, 15-30mm, 15.35mm, 24mm, 35mm and not mentioning all the great EF glass. I'm pretty sure Canon has raised the fines for breaking the confidentiality clause for those photographers/ YouTubers who get sneak peaks of new gear.

The result being: none of the rumor sites has a trustworthy info ahead of time now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0