Has the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens been discontinued?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hi all,

Newbie here, I have been searching everywhere for a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens. Currently not available anymore.

Has this lens been discontinued?

Will there be a new version of this coming out soon?
I know there is a L version available, but this is currently out of my budget for what I require this particular lens for.

Thanks
Excellent choice, if you can get it. It's not image stabilized, but if you're shooting statically (like I do with mine) that simply won't matter even a penny's worth.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the replies all, yes I’ve looked at MPB and their used lenses. Although, I am inclined to buy a new one as I do not plan to buy another one in the foreseeable future. This lens will be ideal for my dental photography.

Does anyone know if this lens will come back in stock or a new version released soon?

Thanks
There will never be a 'new' version, the L model is that upgrade and R&D on EF lenses has finished.

As for more stock, I'd think that unlikely too as what would be the benefit in stockpiling them? Again, manufacturing them will have finished.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Thanks for the replies all, yes I’ve looked at MPB and their used lenses. Although, I am inclined to buy a new one as I do not plan to buy another one in the foreseeable future. This lens will be ideal for my dental photography.

Does anyone know if this lens will come back in stock or a new version released soon?

Thanks

I don't think the lens has been manufactured for a while and it looks like they've sold off the remaining stock given the number of weeks it has been out of stock at most places. I doubt they will be making more given the new RF macro options.

Refurbished lenses are occasionally available on the Canon USA web site - the last one was a week ago. This is likely as close to new as you will get. You might set up a notifcation on Canon Price Watch if you want to go that route. https://www.cpricewatch.com/product/00003/Canon-EF-100mm-f2.8-Macro-USM-price.html

If you are shooting with an R series body, you might consider the RF 85mm F2 Macros IS STM since it is a bit cheaper. It is only 1:2 reproduction. You'll need to use the EF or RF 100L if you want 1:1.

Upvote 0