Has the forum gone quiet?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
First of all, congratulations to Craig on the smooth transition to the new look, I expected far more disruption.
Now a question for the regular visitors, has the volume of posts / replies dropped significantly since the rebirth?
Is this a normal seasonal low or do people perhaps not like something about the new forum?
There are a couple of things I am having trouble with, I keep tapping ‘NEW’ to read the new posts in a thread then I ‘remember’ to just click the title, which is counterintuitive as previously that took you to the start of the thread! I also miss the ability to contract blocks, for example I have absolutely zero interest in video so used to contract that to just a header to reduce my scroll length, small things but...
Thoughts anyone!

Cheers, Graham.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Graham!

I am not sure, if the number of posts has changed, compared to other summers.
If it has dropped, I would suppose several reasons for this:
  1. New forum:
    Surely the change of forum SW made some people wait until it works fine again.
    I was absent as well - for about three or four days. :p
  2. Summer/weather/heat:
    I don't know the exact weather conditions across the Atlantic but you surely also recognize out weather in Europe.
    I'd prefer staying outside - maybe taking photos ;) - instead of sitting in front of my PC or always looking at my cell
    I am just posting now, as I got a cold and am at home right now. No, no problem with some AC, but maybe some cold draught in the night.
  3. Missing rumors:
    When I look what is spread there right in front of the photokina, I admit I really get bored.
    No facts or specs on bodies, just some rumors about some super expensive big whites.
    And maybe something more affordable, but nothing specific.
Maybe there are other reasons as well.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi dpc.
I think the major benefits were for the admins that were finding the old platform too awkward? Not much benefit that I can see for the general user, but if it was pack it in or swap platform, we benefitted.

Cheers, Graham.

I’ve wondered about the dearth of posts, too. It seems a bit too quiet to be seasonal, but I could be wrong about that. It took me a while to work through the functioning of the forum. I’m honestly uncertain what the benefits of the change are supposed to be from a subscribers point of view. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've read thru the Xenforo manual, the ability to expand / contract blocks is there, it must be turned on. I expect they will keep tweaking the settings to get things more like they were, all the available settings are mind boggling to me.

Perhaps, you might start a list? The issue will be explaining what is not working in terms that Craig understands with relation to which setting needs to be changed.

I also discovered that my installation of Firefox is not working properly with some of the forum features. They work fine with Chrome, ie 11, and edge. So, I tried Firefox on my wife's virtually identical computer and the features work fine. I've reset virtually evrything on Firefox, cache, turned off add-ons but it did not fix it. I probably need to go deeper, I have changed some settings via the configuration file.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sporgon.
I think it would be a loss to the forum if you gave in, I feel that you are a valuable contributor.
What is it about the forum that you feel has gone backwards?

Cheers, Graham.

I'm trying to get used to this new forum and will keep persevering for a while, but at present I think it's a huge step backwards.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
I’m guessing that there are many more things available with this upgrade that need turning on or off for us.

Cheers, Graham.

I've read thru the Xenforo manual, the ability to expand / contract blocks is there, it must be turned on. I expect they will keep tweaking the settings to get things more like they were, all the available settings are mind boggling to me.

Perhaps, you might start a list? The issue will be explaining what is not working in terms that Craig understands with relation to which setting needs to be changed.

I also discovered that my installation of Firefox is not working properly with some of the forum features. They work fine with Chrome, ie 11, and edge. So, I tried Firefox on my wife's virtually identical computer and the features work fine. I've reset virtually evrything on Firefox, cache, turned off add-ons but it did not fix it. I probably need to go deeper, I have changed some settings via the configuration file.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Hi Folks.
First of all, congratulations to Craig on the smooth transition to the new look, I expected far more disruption.
Now a question for the regular visitors, has the volume of posts / replies dropped significantly since the rebirth?
Is this a normal seasonal low or do people perhaps not like something about the new forum?
There are a couple of things I am having trouble with, I keep tapping ‘NEW’ to read the new posts in a thread then I ‘remember’ to just click the title, which is counterintuitive as previously that took you to the start of the thread! I also miss the ability to contract blocks, for example I have absolutely zero interest in video so used to contract that to just a header to reduce my scroll length, small things but...
Thoughts anyone!

Cheers, Graham.

The contracting of blocks is now turned on. :)

There will also be a bookmarking feature added soon, so you can customize what you follow even better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I really don’t mind the change too much. It’s just a matter of getting used to things. I’m not, generally speaking, inclined to like change when things are working fine for me but I take it that there’s a much wider world out there than the one I inhabit.

Change is tough, especially one this drastic. However, the previous forum software had a lot of security holes and the number of developers for it was very small. Customizing anything was nearly impossible.

I am paying attention to what people are saying and making notes as I go.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I don't like the new format, neither mobile nor desktop. Cannot find how to get "list of threads I have posted in with new postings" with 1 click.
Always used that function as starting point in old version.

In desktop version, i also don't care for the "menu column" on left. It just eats monitor space, i dont need/use any of the options there.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I don't like the new format, neither mobile nor desktop. Cannot find how to get "list of threads I have posted in with new postings" with 1 click.
Always used that function as starting point in old version.

In desktop version, i also don't care for the "menu column" on left. It just eats monitor space, i dont need/use any of the options there.

• Yep, it's 2 clicks now. (You could just do a bookmark bar link for "one click")
  • You can get rid of the menu by clicking the top left lines.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0