Hello...Anyone else from the UK?

T

TheAshleyJones

I too am a Welshman. Hwyl!

The G Powershots are cool cameras. I think the main question is always "what type of photography interests you?" For mostly brightly lit outdoors stuff, the G12 will do brilliantly. The G12 will also fit in your pocket. And you will avoid falling into the apparently bottomless money pit that is DSLRs and detachable lenses.

However, I would heartily recommend moving to DSLR if you're really enthusiastic about photography.

I bought a 400D about four years ago and never looked back. My pictures taken on the IXUS Point & Shoot that I used before that just look horrible compared to the ones I took with the 400D (even though I really didn't have a clue on day one). I learnt loads with the 400D which eased me into understanding how to control the camera (the G cameras have great manual controls too, as I am sure you know). I then moved to a 40D and started building my lens collection. I now use a 5D MkII which almost always has an 85 F/1.2L II lens on it. This suits my personal taste for low light, intimate portraiture. It would be hopeless for sports or birds in flight.

I am very happy indeed with my kit. And while I think moving to DSLR is a great idea, once you start it can be hard to stop....

Good luck.

Upvote 0
^ That would be a dream for next xmas.

It would be my first serious camera, and although im throwing myself in at the deep end but im wanting to save until then and get the best camera and lenses i can afford. Id love to make money from taking photos and shooting music videos (imagine having a job you love!? crazy right? haha) So im pretty keen to learn, plus im still young so i guess i could make it work with enough persistence. Wont have any savings left so its pretty scary.

I probably would only get one or two lenses (L glass) but i figure thats ok, cause i could just hire other decent ones that i cant afford like the 50 1.2. Anybody used Jacobs hiring service?

Upvote 0
F

fred_jb

From the East Midlands. As with others have developed an unhealthy obsession with Canon product roadmaps!

I feel strongly that for many people and most purposes something like 18MP is totally adequate, and so I would like to see a FF camera at around this sort of resolution going all out for the best possible image quality.

Sadly I feel Canon don't agree, but I keep looking here just in case the fabled 3D ever materialises to fill this gap.

Fred

Upvote 0
gadgets said:
currently living in Brum though originally from the Philippines by way of USA. had a 550D which I have just sold in eBay in order to buy 60D. holding off though in hope of some rebates :)

Gadgets,

You have my respect. I've got much less will power and have just pressed the "go" button on the new EF70-200L IS mk2 and part exchanging my "mark 1" f/2.8L (non IS) as part of the deal. I am having to stump up £1230, £1780 which was the best legitimate price I could find on the internet, less £550 for my 6 year old mint condition lens. My local photoshop volunteered to match the web prices which I very much appreciate.

If the 1Ds mk4 appears this year as some suggest, then 2011 will be VERY expensive!

Upvote 0